Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 Bent Rims - 20" - Anyone else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This happens all the time. Wheels get bent some times. It happens. I've had it happen with multiple cars, motorcycles, etc. Sometimes you hit something and don't realize it. Just get the wheels fixed and move on.

Hey all! Thanks for the activity here!

I would love to, but they said 1 or 2 are past repair point. I talked to my indie tire shop (been with them many years and they are accustomed to sporty cars) and his opinion of them is don't even fix them. For them to bend so easy (all 4 in under 7k miles, with not a scratch or single flat) they just are going to be doing again. He was blown away by how weak they are.

Again I understand rims bent. My Audi has 1 or 2 rims with moderate bends (my shop rates them on 1-10; I believe they were 5) and that car has about 115k miles on it. Our previous M5 had 30k miles on it with no bent rims. All the same roads and sport wheels/tires.

The part that just made my jaw drop more than anything, the service department called saying essentially I need to replace all of them, it will be about $3k dollars. Would I like to pay by card? Just like I wouldn't be shocked or anything lol. I give the service rep credit for being so stone cold on his calls!

Hey all! Thanks for the activity here!

I would love to, but they said 1 or 2 are past repair point. I talked to my indie tire shop (been with them many years and they are accustomed to sporty cars) and his opinion of them is don't even fix them. For them to bend so easy (all 4 in under 7k miles, with not a scratch or single flat) they just are going to be doing again. He was blown away by how weak they are.

Again I understand rims bent. My Audi has 1 or 2 rims with moderate bends (my shop rates them on 1-10; I believe they were 5) and that car has about 115k miles on it. Our previous M5 had 30k miles on it with no bent rims. All the same roads and sport wheels/tires.

The part that just made my jaw drop more than anything, the service department called saying essentially I need to replace all of them, it will be about $3k dollars. Would I like to pay by card? Just like I wouldn't be shocked or anything lol. I give the service rep credit for being so stone cold on his calls!

For that kind of money, may I point you toward a set of BBS CC-R ... :)

Spoke to BBS yesterday, they’re on the boat and should be here in a few weeks.

I have a set of 19" forged monoblock wheels as well. Tires are going to be mounted in the next few days. I would have gone 18 but I didn't want to deal with super tight clearances with the performance brakes.

I have a set of 19" forged monoblock wheels as well. Tires are going to be mounted in the next few days. I would have gone 18 but I didn't want to deal with super tight clearances with the performance brakes.

@TORQU3 I think Signature Wheel 18s monoblock clear Model 3 performance brake with room to spare, I might go with 18s next.

45699018145_1b5c4ce330_b.jpg

He must be used to calling S and X owners, lol. I would have asked him to at least lube me up first before that kind of sodomy.

• Funny
Reactions: Reborn
I have had my fair share of blow outs with my OEM 20s from my M3P. I had originally purchased 235/35/20 Michelin Alpin A4 from tire rack with the road hazard. Initially the issue was they were not in stock and I had ordered back in early Nov. I finally received my tires Dec 5th and had Tesla install them. 3 weeks go by blowout number one on a decent sized hole. Tires were not available from anywhere, including tire rack. So I had to buy a SottoZero ($481 a piece) from Tesla. 4 weeks later another blowout early morning managed to get the car hole and again brought the wheel over to Tesla for another Pirelli. At this point I was fed up by the issue with the 20s and their heavy compound along with a low profile (35) tire. I ordered (Sunday) TST 18s with Nokian R3. Monday morning rolls around and tire #3 is loosing air / having an issue holding pressure. I call up Tesla to see if they can squeeze me in, no problem I bring it by that afternoon to find out tire 3 has a small split. Moral of my story is I think the 20s are heavy, very heavy and with the small sidewall and brutal Northeast roadways a 18 is a must for us in this part of the country.

I have also noticed a SIGNIFICANT increase in range and WH/MI used to be in the 335-350 range now at 240-250 range. This to me is a big thing and Tesla should really think about offering some flow forged wheels.

1F9D5429-1F8D-4660-BABE-35CA7DC6B7CC.jpeg
5D21B898-D818-4C9D-AA1E-59FDECF2032C.jpeg
EF54F243-FE3D-4ADE-BA1E-DC61F8E000C8.jpeg

Reactions: happyluckbox
I just wanted to update here. Tesla has had 0 follow-up or response, as to be expected. Wrote a letter to corporate, promised a call back. Never got it after several follow-ups. Have been in service multiple times, promised manager call, never got one. At this point am putting summer rubber on my winter rims and calling it a day. Will sell the 20s, letting buyer know of their condition.

If people wouldn't mind, can you vote on the poll? Trying to get some data. Thanks!

P3D 20" Bent Rims (Please reply if Bent or Not)