Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

400 Wh/mi consumption on Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I just picked up my model S 2 days ago and drove about 60 miles so far but already down to 187 miles of range (so, 100 mi energy consumption for 60 mi o_O). Weather is about 53 F here. I'm using standard regen, no creep, and have heating to 74 F. Tesla shows about 400 Wh/mi but my calculation comes out to be 510 Wh/mi which is much worse.

Do you guys think this is normal?

It's tough to say. Temperature isn't cold, but even at 53F, if the battery is cold-soaked, it's going to take significant energy to heat it up. If you took a single 60 mile trip, the temperature hit would be insignificant. However, if you took six 10 mile trips, allowing the battery and cabin to cool each time, your going to pay that penalty each time. So your numbers aren't surprising.

Also, even at your mild temperatures, you won't get as good mileage as you will in the summer. In my experience, it will be tough to get below 300 Wh/mi at 65 mph at these temperatures. In the summer you will do significantly better.

For starters, I think you shouldn't worry too much about your calculation.

As for the 400 wh/mi, that does not strike me as out of line for the information you provided. One thing to consider is that with brand new tires, there will be more rolling resistance, and thus more energy used. You don't say what size wheels are on the car, or what kind, but 19" wheels result in greater efficiency than 21" wheels do.

The wind could also be a factor, if you were driving into a headwind.

I would not worry too much. Just keep an eye on it and see what happens over time.

Hey all,

I just picked up my model S 2 days ago and drove about 60 miles so far but already down to 187 miles of range (so, 100 mi energy consumption for 60 mi o_O). Weather is about 53 F here. I'm using standard regen, no creep, and have heating to 74 F. Tesla shows about 400 Wh/mi but my calculation comes out to be 510 Wh/mi which is much worse.

400 Wh/mi is very high in my experience. Normally at 70-75 we get more like 300. However, hilly terrain, wind, and particularly rain really make a big difference. You probably don't get many sleet storms with an inch of slush on the highway in the Bay Area, but that's REALLY bad.

Hey all,

How fast are you driving and how hard are you accelerating? Your foot is most likely the culprit.

Just arrived home from a 160 mile one way drive, mostly low 50s and some elevation out of the valley. I averaged ~100 Wh/mi higher than normal on this route, until about 70 miles or so, and then it started creeping down. By the time I got home, I was damn close to my normal Wh/mi. I had plenty of range so I did not alter my driving of 75-80 AP until city limits. But had that drop not plateaued I'd have been bummin. FWIW, minimal winds today and I drive on 21s.

I mean, you see what I'm saying? Obviously, I didn't buy a P100D to drive it like a Prius! ;)

I have been wondering what is "normal" for the P100D. I don't think it can get the sort of sub 300 numbers that other models get. I took a trip today from Atlanta to Chattanooga and back, and I wanted to stretch the range as much as possible so I put the car in sport mode and turned on range mode also. I drove as conservatively as possible. I even kept the speed to 70mph on the interstate the whole way (cars were flying around me the whole time). The total elevation change is within 300 feet or so. We had the heat on 67 or 68 most of the way, but the outside temp was 45 degrees. My average for the whole trip was 368 wh/mi.

Based on this and the other driving I've done over the past two weeks I think the only way to get a P100D below 300 wh/mi is to do a mostly downhill trip.

I have been wondering what is "normal" for the P100D. I don't think it can get the sort of sub 300 numbers that other models get. I took a trip today from Atlanta to Chattanooga and back, and I wanted to stretch the range as much as possible so I put the car in sport mode and turned on range mode also. I drove as conservatively as possible. I even kept the speed to 70mph on the interstate the whole way (cars were flying around me the whole time). The total elevation change is within 300 feet or so. We had the heat on 67 or 68 most of the way, but the outside temp was 45 degrees. My average for the whole trip was 368 wh/mi.

Based on this and the other driving I've done over the past two weeks I think the only way to get a P100D below 300 wh/mi is to do a mostly downhill trip.

Where abouts in the ATL area do you live? I assume the Chattaboogie SpC is at the airport?

Where abouts in the ATL area do you live? I assume the Chattaboogie SpC is at the airport?

Yeah, it's at the airport.

I live in East Cobb, so north of Atlanta and slightly west. We were going to the Tennessee Aquarium, so I just parked at a deck with a Level 2 charger and picked up 47 miles. Theoretically I could have made the full round trip without charging, but would have rolled in with less than 10% left. By adding the 47 miles we made it home with 28% left.

Yeah, it's at the airport.

I live in East Cobb, so north of Atlanta and slightly west. We were going to the Tennessee Aquarium, so I just parked at a deck with a Level 2 charger and picked up 47 miles. Theoretically I could have made the full round trip without charging, but would have rolled in with less than 10% left. By adding the 47 miles we made it home with 28% left.

Got it, so you are close to the Braves new stadium with easy access to 75. I know the ATL area very well and just wanted to get a better feel for your starting point.

I took a trip today from Atlanta to Chattanooga and back, and I wanted to stretch the range as much as possible so I put the car in sport mode and turned on range mode also. I drove as conservatively as possible.

Sport mode vs Ludicrous mode makes no difference in efficiency if you are driving conservatively. (There would be a difference, of course, if you did something acceleration-wise in Ludicrous mode that could not be done in Sport mode.)

We leave our P85DL in Ludicrous mode all the time.

I average about 320wh/m right now. I went to dinner the other night and was driving on the interstate, unintentional drafting (busy road), about 65mph, 70 temp, all flat, no heat or AC and I was dipping below 200wh/m. I was starting to think something was wrong.

Keep in mind I'm in Dallas with mild temps and all flat. At times I'll open it up but in general I like to take it easy.

I average about 500 Wh/mi. It's impossible to get rated numbers unless you drive at 64 mph on cruise control.
That's not true everywhere. My friend and I each have lifetime averages close to 300 Wh/mile over 11000 and 2000 miles respectively. We live in Colorado and the air is thinner so it really helps our averages.

I just did a 1000+ mile trip last week and had the cruise control set to 75 to 80 most of the time. Heading east across Colorado, my average was around 300 Wh/mile. Heading back, it was closer to 360 Wh/mile.

The regen is amazing at recapturing energy. When I head to work in the morning, I have negative values for the first mile or so. Coming back from places in the mountains, we can use just a few kW to go over 30 miles and average less than 100 Wh/mile over the trip.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100