Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

407 ETR Transponders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, this is just bizarre, and I have no explanation as to why this is happening, but my 407-ETR transponder has started working down in my center console junk bin! It beeps, gives me the green lights and all. It's winter and my pano roof is closed.... besides which I've tried holding it against the pano roof and it didn't work. My only thought is that the angle between the overhead gantry and my transponder might be taking the signal through the driver or passenger door window. Very odd.

Maybe it's getting through the triangular window? :wink:

This will only apply to older non-Autopilot cars, but may be helpful. The 407-ETR sent me a new transponder proactively to replace my old one. It is quite a bit more compact, and I have found that holding it up to the right of the mirror bracket in that little area that has been hit-and-miss with the old transponder style seems to work perfectly. It's been 100% for me so far, and I think I am ready to peel the paper off the stickers and mount it there permanently.

IMG_0348.JPG

Last edited:
That is the same unit I have. Yesterday it did not beep at Kennedy eastbound exit.

My car has a different windshield than yours based on your earlier post and pic. Mine is the older, original style and there is a small area just to the right of where the mirror bracket attaches that will allow a signal through. With my older, bigger transponder I could hold it sideways with the lights facing downwards and it would work about 30% of the time. If I held the old one in the normal horizontal position, it wouldn't work at all. It must have had something to do with where the antenna is inside of the plastic housing. In any event, the new transponder is working perfectly right snug up to the roof and against the mirror bracket on the right side (opposite side to where you have yours mounted).

In any event, the new transponder is working perfectly right snug up to the roof and against the mirror bracket on the right side.

mknox, is your new style transponder oriented with the "407 etr" wording upright reading from left to right? I am assuming so but just checking.
Thanks all for this thread. Receiving new style transponder this week.

mknox, is your new style transponder oriented with the "407 etr" wording upright reading from left to right? I am assuming so but just checking.
Thanks all for this thread. Receiving new style transponder this week.

Yes, installed in the "normal" position and in the location described above. Remember that I have an older "classic" car with a different windshield than newer models with Auto Pilot hardware.

- - - Updated - - -

I solved the problem by phoning and telling 407 that my metallic windshield was interfering with the signal.
They promptly reverted all video toll charges, and marked the cars license plate in their system to not charge that extra fee.
No issues since.

Same here. Did that shortly after getting my car in early 2013. At the time, the 407 folks had never heard of Tesla and it took me a while to explain to them what the car was and how I knew it had a signal blocking windshield. In any event, no video toll charges for me either.

This will only apply to older non-Autopilot cars, but may be helpful. The 407-ETR sent me a new transponder proactively to replace my old one. It is quite a bit more compact, and I have found that holding it up to the right of the mirror bracket in that little area that has been hit-and-miss with the old transponder style seems to work perfectly. It's been 100% for me so far, and I think I am ready to peel the paper off the stickers and mount it there permanently.

View attachment 84478

Hi all,

I have a '15 P85D with AP and just received a transponder like MKNOX's photo. What is the latest experience on the best mounting position on cars with AP? I read other threads for other transponders where mounting underneath the parcel shelf in the back was a success?

I never had any luck getting a signal to go through - but you just call 407 and they put you on a list so that you don't get hit with a no transponder fee. IMHO that's the better option as it saves you having to pay the monthly transponder fee and you get all of the benefits - use the transponder in another car (if you have one). What's not to like?

I never had any luck getting a signal to go through - but you just call 407 and they put you on a list so that you don't get hit with a no transponder fee. IMHO that's the better option as it saves you having to pay the monthly transponder fee and you get all of the benefits - use the transponder in another car (if you have one). What's not to like?

Thanks for the advice Wayner. I'll try to call the office and set that up and perhaps reassign my transponder to another car.

I never had any luck getting a signal to go through - but you just call 407 and they put you on a list so that you don't get hit with a no transponder fee.

I did that back when I got my car in early 2013. At that time they did say they put certain cars known to have blocking windshields on this list, but not only was Tesla not on the list, no one there even knew what a Tesla was! Nonetheless, they added me to the list and I would imagine it is a much more seamless experience now.

IMG_1239.JPG
I received my new 407 transponder earlier this month, and mounted it to the right of the rear view mirror, since the Model S manual says that there is a cutout in the windshield coating there. It works fine, recognized on entry/exit to 407. I have AP 2.0 hardware (in case that matters for placement).

The pic shows how I mounted it.

I spoke to 407 back in September about being added to the 'no charge' list. Since then not a single video charge on my bills. Seems like an elegant solution rather than having to look at a transponder on my windshield...assuming it even works 100% of the time.!

Prior to being added, the transponder worked at best 1/3 of the time even on the windshield itself.

Last edited:
I was able to find a spot on my early 2013 car (posted somewhere above, I think) and it works about 75% of the time. It created another problem: I have a Blackvue dash cam mounted below/behind the rearview mirror and it can lo longer get a GPS signal. I think it was getting it from the cutout which is now covered by the transponder! So my dashcam date, time and location data are totally out of whack.

I spoke to 407 back in September about being added to the 'no charge' list. Since then not a single video charge on my bills. Seems like an elegant solution rather than having to look at a transponder on my windshield...assuming it even works 100% of the time.!
I agree plus it is more cost effective as you can use the transponder in another car and I believe they charge you $1/month or so to rent a transponder.

I agree plus it is more cost effective as you can use the transponder in another car and I believe they charge you $1/month or so to rent a transponder.

I was told that the transponder still had to be leased and "attached" to the car with the exemption. They did say "physically" attached when I asked, but also that it had to be attached to the car's plate in their system as well. I'm just happy that they were able to accommodate me, and still have a separate transponder for my wife's car.