Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

44.5 update, autopilot keeps disconnecting or just won't connect.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I got the 44.5 update not long ago, 44.6 is installing tonight. Over that last week or so, I've had a problem with the autopilot (Base AP) working randomly. It might be fine for a day or two, then all of a sudden it'll kick off and won't go back on. The 2 blue circles on the touchscreen will flash momentarily, then it'll go back to a yellow circle. A few 2 button resets, getting in and out of the car, letting everything reset, hasn't fixed it.

Any ideas? A software glitch? Base AP has always worked fine until this past week. Windshield is clean, it'll do it in sunlight or shade / darkness, etc.

44.6 didn't fix it. I drove to work and the AP was fine, then I left work and was halfway home on AP, out on the open highway, when suddenly you get the warning beeps and the red steering wheel and TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY on the screen. Then once it does that, the steering part stops working but it will still maintain the speed. So after tapping the brake pedal to turn it all off, it won't turn AP back on, I'll just get the yellow light at the top of the screen by the speed, where the blue circles normally show AP ON, and the error beeps, and it won't turn AP back on. It'll do the speed control but not steering.

I'm guessing there's a sensor going bad, or a loose / dirty connector somewhere, I'll schedule a mobile service appointment and see what happens. My 3 is 3-1/2 years old with 77,000 miles.

44.6 didn't fix it. I drove to work and the AP was fine, then I left work and was halfway home on AP, out on the open highway, when suddenly you get the warning beeps and the red steering wheel and TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY on the screen. Then once it does that, the steering part stops working but it will still maintain the speed. So after tapping the brake pedal to turn it all off, it won't turn AP back on, I'll just get the yellow light at the top of the screen by the speed, where the blue circles normally show AP ON, and the error beeps, and it won't turn AP back on. It'll do the speed control but not steering.

I'm guessing there's a sensor going bad, or a loose / dirty connector somewhere, I'll schedule a mobile service appointment and see what happens. My 3 is 3-1/2 years old with 77,000 miles.

Did you ever fix your computer? If not, then any problem you may have may be related to that (thats the opinion I have, anyway). Last I remember, you refused to pay for it and were looking into trying to do something else.

I'm working now on getting some warranty coverage at least in part for a computer replacement. Warranty or no, it should not be failing in 3 years and I sure as hell ain't paying TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS for one that only has a 1 year warranty! I'll grab a used one on ebay for a few hundred and it lasts as long as it lasts. So far, the responses in the phone service app are the usual wall of text boilerplate responses (the warranty is blah blah years or blah blah miles whichever comes first).

Anyone know anyone in my area who has experience with changing these computers? I presume I'd need access to Tesla tools to program the new one with my VIN and related data?

I was on the phone with the Tesla service people from the phone number displayed on the car's screen, and they were all like "Call the service center". The SC people are the problem! I doubt getting to the manager there is going to be much help.

It got fixed, the problem was exactly what I told them it was. They replaced the wireless / cell receiver card and it has been fine and has had a solid LTE connection ever since. The general manager listened to what I had to say and talked to a mobile service tech, and I was right.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I had a service appointment scheduled, the service tech messaged me and said the AP problem will be fixed in the upcoming 44.30 update. We'll see.

Over the last week, AP has continued to be erratic. Sometimes it works fine, sometimes it cuts out part way through a drive and won't go back on, sometimes it won't turn on at all.