Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 Battery Cell

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if the 4680's are destined for a SR Model Y?

It makes sense that they would be, they're cheaper to produce and isnt there a new Y coming out thats cheaper than the MYLR and MYP?

I’m fully convinced whatever comes out of Austin (at least at first) will be its own model/trim. No way they market otherwise identical cars and just let people get one or the other by luck of the draw or geography. Can you imagine the level of moaning on this forum otherwise? Lol.

• Funny
Reactions: Thp3
What if the 4680's are destined for a SR Model Y?

It makes sense that they would be, they're cheaper to produce and isnt there a new Y coming out thats cheaper than the MYLR and MYP?
Seems like this is the latest rumor based on the EPA release and digging through the code on the latest releases.

I think it makes a lot of sense. They could do it very similar to the roll out of the LFP Model 3, just start sending out emails to Model Y LR holders seeing if they want to save a few bucks and get their car earlier.

They dubbed it SR+. Less components (IE semiconductors, motor and batteries (nickel)). Very good chance other creature comforts/"premium" safety features requiring redundant chipsets might be reduced as well.

They are trying to keep up delivery numbers in a supply constrained world.

I wouldn't expect a MYLR or MYP with 4680 any time soon.

I would not expect a 4680 Model Y to have better range. Reason being Tesla isn’t going to make a superior version of the Model Y in Austin that they can’t make in Fremont *yet so anything made in Austin will be at parity with the Fremont builds or worse in order to avoid cannibalizing those cars. This could be done with a software block so that cars made In Austin will match the Fremont builds in range, unless Tesla just decides to make the current Long Range Model Y the new Standard Range and make the Austin builds the new Long Range with >330mi range, but i can’t imagine that happening

I would not expect a 4680 Model Y to have better range. Reason being Tesla isn’t going to make a superior version of the Model Y in Austin that they can’t make in Fremont *yet so anything made in Austin will be at parity with the Fremont builds or worse in order to avoid cannibalizing those cars. This could be done with a software block so that cars made In Austin will match the Fremont builds in range, unless Tesla just decides to make the current Long Range Model Y the new Standard Range and make the Austin builds the new Long Range with >330mi range, but i can’t imagine that happening
You've also got other deltas between SR and LR, namely SR is a single motor and LR is dual motor. 2 motors can do things more efficiently by sharing the load on takeoff and turning off when not needed.

Not sure this is the right thread to ask this question but here goes . . .
I am not a scientist and know little about batteries but my question relates to Tesla's quest for process simplification applied to batteries. Specifically in terms of the size and number of battery cells. I know that the 4680 is larger and more energy dense than the 2170 or 18650 but are they striving for larger and fewer battery cells? Why not many fewer with more capacity? Fewer parts, simpler manufacturing and assembly? Why not?

Not sure this is the right thread to ask this question but here goes . . .
I am not a scientist and know little about batteries but my question relates to Tesla's quest for process simplification applied to batteries. Specifically in terms of the size and number of battery cells. I know that the 4680 is larger and more energy dense than the 2170 or 18650 but are they striving for larger and fewer battery cells? Why not many fewer with more capacity? Fewer parts, simpler manufacturing and assembly? Why not?
There is an amazing video series called ‘The Limiting Factor’ on Teslas battery tech.

From what I recall, the 4680 size has a lot to do with the speed of the equipment and the rate which it processes the material.

I think it’s in this video.

Reactions: LodiEVFan
There is an amazing video series called ‘The Limiting Factor’ on Teslas battery tech.

From what I recall, the 4680 size has a lot to do with the speed of the equipment and the rate which it processes the material.

I think it’s in this video.

Thank you Ogre. I will watch and then determine if I still have a question similar to what I asked above.