Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 battery pack!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A friend of mine had a BMW 3 series from about 15 years ago. The fuel pumps were welded into the stainless steel fuel tank. When the pump died, BMW’s only solution was to sell you a new tank for $7k plus labor, which is more than the cars value!
Yep. Mercedes has similar issues. You pull the rear seat and cut a hole in the body to reach the fuel pump. My family shop did one a few months back. Bill was near $1,000.

A friend of mine had a BMW 3 series from about 15 years ago. The fuel pumps were welded into the stainless steel fuel tank. When the pump died, BMW’s only solution was to sell you a new tank for $7k plus labor, which is more than the cars value!
Those were compliance cars made to meet California's emissions requirements at the time. The majority of the 3-series back then had an easy to replace fuel pump for $100

I don't believe this has anything to do with 4680 cells and is a misunderstanding of the urban Dyno testing and how it is used to estimate range. You can read more about it in the link below but the short of it is that a ~30% reduction factor is applied to this raw mileage number to get to the published range which jives fairly well with Tesla's rated range on their cars.

In general, Tesla has 0 reasons to increase range with the backlog they have when they are battery limited. 4680 cells will mainly be good for Tesla and help them produce more cars by using less battery materials per car.
Thank you for the clarification.