Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4680 battery pack!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things just got really interesting! 4680 packs are supposed to go into the MY first.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
Here's an article that points to the same tweet. Its been a ~year since Tesla had battery day and announced the 4680 pilot factory so this is somewhat expected.

Sandy Munro shared a picture of an early 4680 pack a while ago (see ~7:40).

Check out the range on the CARB certificate for MYLR:
1643904620155.png

• Informative
Reactions: Gaige
There are two performance models one with 21" wheels. Assuming they will standardize the MYLR with single wheel size option

Oh, I hope not. The 19's give a softer ride. And why would Tesla eliminate options that would yield additional income and profits? There are those that even find 18" wheels and tires for their Y's to further increase range and soften the ride.

I'm confused by these documents. The first one posted by @smcginnis references Model Year 2021 vehicles, which we know will not be made at Austin - 2022's are coming out of Fremont now. But the dated page is missing. The second one, linked by @tpoltron dated July 2020, shows essentially the same UDDS for the MYLR as the first one posted which also shows a higher rated MYLR. Is the implication that the higher MYLR is a 4680 car? What am I missing here? I'm not sure what these are saying about the 2022 models.

Check out the range on the CARB certificate for MYLR:
View attachment 764389
I don't believe this has anything to do with 4680 cells and is a misunderstanding of the urban Dyno testing and how it is used to estimate range. You can read more about it in the link below but the short of it is that a ~30% reduction factor is applied to this raw mileage number to get to the published range which jives fairly well with Tesla's rated range on their cars.

In general, Tesla has 0 reasons to increase range with the backlog they have when they are battery limited. 4680 cells will mainly be good for Tesla and help them produce more cars by using less battery materials per car.

In general, Tesla has 0 reasons to increase range with the backlog they have when they are battery limited. 4680 cells will mainly be good for Tesla and help them produce more cars by using less battery materials per car.
Right. A similar mileage car will use less mass of the new 4680's, less mass in the megacasts, and less mass in the structural housing around the sells. But then, less mass equals more range, so there is the paradox.

That doesn't mean they have to fill the entire space with battery. Have you thought about how much it would cost to fix or replace battery if it's part of the structure? Tesla battery now is like old smartphones when you can just pop old battery out and put in new one relatively easy.
It basically means that any time a battery replacement is required, the car is likely to be totaled. That's why I don't think this whole structural battery thing is a good idea. On Battery Day, they used the analogy with airplanes using structural components as fuel tanks, but the big difference there is that you can actually drain and replace the fuel inside the wings without pulling the wings off of the airframe...

Reactions: bluenycom
It basically means that any time a battery replacement is required, the car is likely to be totaled. That's why I don't think this whole structural battery thing is a good idea. On Battery Day, they used the analogy with airplanes using structural components as fuel tanks, but the big difference there is that you can actually drain and replace the fuel inside the wings without pulling the wings off of the airframe...
Well, technically you can drain and refill the batteries without pulling the pack off the car..... :cool:

• Funny
Reactions: GWord and STS-134
Think of all the creations that will result from the abundance of parts.