Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

46k miles and all 4 shocks are leaking!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

xallenx1

2021 LFP SR+ with the 980 motor and rear sway bar
Sep 22, 2021
Mount Pleasant, SC
D6CE299C-5D08-4368-8CC8-7B2F95249518.jpeg

I’ve been noticing a clunky suspension and found this. I checked all 4 shocks and all are leaking. Do the service center replace all 4 in a day and do they align the car after? This will be my first major service appointment since owning the car.

This is not common at 3 years and 46K and I hope that they warranty it for you. Shocks can be replaced without alignment but hopefully they'd at least check it for you - it's 5 minutes of effort.

But note that the front and rear shocks are completely different designs from completely different assembly lines and were built at different times with no common shared components, yet you somehow had all of them fail at exactly the same time. You might face some pointed questions.

Also note that all shocks leak a little bit and there is an "acceptable" amount that automakers use for warranty authorization. This chart is from Lexus but Tesla surely uses something similar:

1709409807089.png

This is not common at 3 years and 46K and I hope that they warranty it for you. Shocks can be replaced without alignment but hopefully they'd at least check it for you - it's 5 minutes of effort.

But note that the front and rear shocks are completely different designs from completely different assembly lines and were built at different times with no common shared components, yet you somehow had all of them fail at exactly the same time. You might face some pointed questions.

Also note that all shocks leak a little bit and there is an "acceptable" amount that automakers use for warranty authorization. This chart is from Lexus but Tesla surely uses something similar:

View attachment 1023967
So, it looks like the rear shocks are a Level 5 from the chart above. But the front driver side is definitely a Level 1. Thanks for the info!!! I guess the front will be replaced but the back one are ok.