Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

#472 - Flat black wrapped - Baton Rouge, LA [SOLD]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you prevent the possibility of the battery discharging greatly in the time it takes to transport a vehicle cross country? Do you do have the seller do a "range charge" and hope it doesn't take forever to get the car to it new home to be replenished?

How do you prevent the possibility of the battery discharging greatly in the time it takes to transport a vehicle cross country? Do you do have the seller do a "range charge" and hope it doesn't take forever to get the car to it new home to be replenished?

That would be safest. A transport in the US shouldn't take that long. It would take a very long time (measured in many months) for the car to get in trouble from a full range charge.

After 2 years of lurking and poking around - it looks like I bought this one. (8 weeks before my model S, of course) I get to be a real Tesla owner at last!

If anyone can coach me on how to best complete a purchase over Ebay or on how to bring a car to California from out of state and get it registered - it would be greatly appreciated.

Congratulations! As I posted on this thread earlier, I love the flat black look. Drive the car for a while with the wrap on and then decide if you want to remove it. At the very least, even if you drive it for a long time with the wrap, when you remove it, it will be like you got a new car.

I'm not concerned. I bought the car from an actual Tesla owner - not a dealer. He will know to send it off charged. 2500 miles should only take 5-7 days even with other stops. From what I've heard - less than 2 weeks is generally not a problem.

I got a quote reasonable transport quote from the firm pgwoosley recommended. Looks like a plan.

FWIW, here is a check list of things to get from the seller or ask about:
"Soft Items"
- Title signed over or with a separate bill of sale
- Registration certificate
- PIN for the car

"Hard Items"
- Keys, usually 3
- Manuals -- under passenger seat -- there are several Tesla manuals. Ask about a JVC manual for the radio/GPS
- Tool kit -- the "key" to the locking lug bolts is critical (Tesla can replace, but expensive), socket for regular lug bolts, tow hook, etc.
- Front license bracket, if not attached.
- Ask if the seller has a remote for the radio.
- What ever electrical connectors were included in the deal.

Check the condition of the tires right away. You may need new ones. Read the threads here for ideas.

Another thing to check for:
-soft top (if included) with the two supporting rails. You'll need these rails to use the Taylor Mesh top which I Highly Recommend :)

Nice to see you live close to me, I use my roadster as a daily driver and pass Los Gatos twice during the weekday from Santa Cruz so I'm bound to see you if you on the road.

+1 on closed transport. Anything can happen with an open transport.

As for the carpool HOV sticker. I have three for which only one is on the car. Its located on the lower right corner of the rear bumper. You can see it from the rear and side of the car clearly. The other two are in the car and under the seat where the manuals are just in case. Never had a issue with the single one on the rear.

That's certainly not within the rules - the placement is clearly laid out in the instructions.

But... Can anyone confirm that it works?

There are threads here that discuss HOV stickers and placement to no end. Boils down to two camps.

1. The law does not specify placement. The package the stickers come in merely "suggests" where to put them. The Roadster is so small and round that the placement suggested is ridiculous. Putting huge ugly government sticker of such a beautiful car is a crime. One sticker on the glass works fine. Doing that has resulted very few tickets in 3 years and 100s of thousands of miles. I carry the other two stickers and the assigned paperwork in the slot under the passenger seat

2. The stickers are a proud representation of the advantage of owning an electric car. Placement insures no tickets.

+1 ^. I have gone with 1 window sticker for 3 years. Keep others and paperwork in trunk under cover. I even drove by motorcycle cop in HOV lane and he did not stop me.
If I ever got pulled over I would
a. Show paperwork and advise I paid required fees.
b. Explain law does not require placement, its the DMV who made the placement up.
c. Plead with officer that it would be a shame to litter pretty car with stickers.

Last edited:
It will be a closed transport. There will be an interesting transport story to go with it - but I can't say any more for now about it.

I have always been one of the "I drive a hybrid/electric and you are going to see my stickers from a mile away" types - but that was easier to do an a prius or leaf. I didn't care what they looked like. I'll have to think about it for the roadster. Luckily the hybrid stickers came off super clean once they expired.

Ok - Tesla is a really cool company.

I don't even have my car yet. It is being shipped 7/14-7/20, but I do have the title in hand and have spoken with the service dept. to schedule the 3-year service. I log into the Telsa web site today and it pops up - correct VIN, proper picture,. etc. Very cool.