Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

.48 feels like AP2 finally passed AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my theory is the steering wheel oscillations is the way for the car to detect if you are holding it. If you do, there's resistance to the oscillations, if you don't there is not.

I would agree with that based off the behavior I’ve seen. Dead straight 4 lane freeway with minimal 2-3 minute nag intervals: wheel remains still until maybe dozens of seconds before it starts nagging.

But same kind of conditions on restricted roads: always wiggles around.

Gripping tightly also seems to quell the wiggling. All of that seems to suggest it’s a way for the car to increase the accuracy of hand detection

Got my first long drive on 48 yesterday with a round trip out to Vandenberg to see the SpaceX/Iridium launch. In some ways the trip out was great test conditions for the AS vision system because it was near sunset driving straight into the sun with lots of long shadows across the road, high contrast at shadow edges but very flat light otherwise. Very tough conditions visually and just the time of day when the AS on AP1 gives me the most problems. Lane markings on the majority of the route are faded white stripes on white concrete. AP2 48 drove from my hood (San Gabriel Valley) out to the end of the 101 segment with only one intervention needed, which was in a reduced speed construction zone that had a temporary tight curve/lane change. So that's 150 odd miles in varying traffic (mostly moderate traffic with about 20 minutes of stop and go) in very challenging lighting conditions with only a single fairly forgivable intervention. I did this drive on AP1 last June under sunny midday conditions and AP1 did almost as well but I'm pretty confident it couldn't pull that same performance off at dusk.

I wish the story ended there but the drive back was after dark on the same route and required several interventions - I lost count but maybe 8 or 10? It seems like AS for AP2 48 isn't liking conditions where you can't see much of anything except the reflective lane markers and sometimes you lose sight of them due to rises or curves or other vehicles blocking sight lines.

That's an interesting contrast point for me because my sense on AS for AP1 is that nighttime is one of it's strongest performance points. And of course, that fits with my theory that AP1 is more dependent on and more sensitive to lane markers for it's AS capabilities. At night lane markers are super high contrast because they are reflective so that's better for AP1 than it is for AP2 if my conjecture is correct.

I saw a lot of other Tesla's at the launch. Anybody else have notes to compare (on the drive, I mean)?

I wish the story ended there but the drive back was after dark on the same route and required several interventions - I lost count but maybe 8 or 10? It seems like AS for AP2 48 isn't liking conditions where you can't see much of anything except the reflective lane markers and sometimes you lose sight of them due to rises or curves or other vehicles blocking sight lines.

That's an interesting contrast point for me because my sense on AS for AP1 is that nighttime is one of it's strongest performance points

That is also very interesting, because nighttime has been the strongest point for me on AP2, through .36 to .46.8 this autumn. That would be a difference between our experiences.

No .48 yet, though.

That is also very interesting, because nighttime has been the strongest point for me on AP2, through .36 to .46.8 this autumn. That would be a difference between our experiences.

No .48 yet, though.

When you say it's the strongest point, do you mean that it outperforms your expectation, or that it outperforms in other conditions (like daytime, for instance).

In case I gave the wrong impression - I haven't been generally disappointed with nighttime performance on AP2 relative to AP1, though I don't use it nearly as much as daytime so I might not have a good reference there. But after having such a good drive out to Vandenberg I think my expectations were probably raised quite a bit but I found AP2 48 autosteer was not noticeably different from AP1 autosteer under those conditions and I had really been hoping that it would be. Which was disappointing.

My first week with AP1 back in late 2015 I was in an absolute blinding downpour one day and I was shocked that autosteer seemed so much more capable than I expected. And later I noticed that nighttime was better than I expected and so forth, but in time I came to believe that I was expecting it to be bad in the same situations that I was bad at and vice versa, which doesn't really hold well. By contrast I'd be puzzled when it would be failing in dusk conditions that I found unchallenging. Since then I've tried to suspend my own impressions of difficulty and instead look at a situation from the standpoint of what vision processing software is strong and or weak at.

I mention the above to flesh out the 'expectation' part of my initial question.

Ok. Got 2017.50.2 this morning for my AP1 S—felt like a kid on Christmas morning! Took it to the cloverleaf turn to try it out.

In short: AP1 cannot do the full turn.

AP1 cannot initiate the turn, tried both scenarios with a car in front and no car. In both situations, AP1 failed to make the sharp initial turn.

About 1/4 into the turn AP1 gave me TACC/Autosteer icons, which I activated. It was able to hold the turn until the “apex” (which is a little further into the turn since the turn started later), whereupon it consistently drifted partially into the left lane (my turn is to the right—It’s Sunday so very little traffic, good thing) and I had to take over.

Same speed limiting to 25-30. Fortunately Sunday morning drivers are much more forgiving, I think the Christmas Eve Sunday mellows everyone out!

By the way, the “Ho Ho Ho” Easter egg is pretty fun! (Not funny ;))

Judging by the anecdotal reports I indeed find it plausible AP2 is starting to be better at handling very tight curves - as well as some poorly marked lanes than AP1. The former makes sense too with the use of two cameras at a distance (better FoV). Good!

Too bad my own updates are stagnated at .46.8 level, so no new reports.

Judging by the anecdotal reports I indeed find it plausible AP2 is starting to be better at handling very tight curves - as well as some poorly marked lanes than AP1. The former makes sense too with the use of two cameras at a distance (better FoV). Good!

Too bad my own updates are stagnated at .46.8 level, so no new reports.

Not sure about the tight curves, but @buttershrimp's videos show me that AP2 is handling poorly marked lanes far better than my AP1 car. AP1 is simply not good at those scenarios in my experience. On the other hand, I've been shocked at how my AP1 car can go up twisty, tight ski hill roads in the summer if there is good lane markings on both sides. I think my car can still hold its own in those scenarios, but would need to see more videos.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Drove 110 km last evening and my AP2 50.1 really struggled with poor lane markers. Lot of pingponging and unable to engage for long periods. Don't know if Ap1 would handle the scenario in the example pic.
They really should work on vision instead of childish easter eggs.
20171224_135502.jpg

Drove 110 km last evening and my AP2 50.1 really struggled with poor lane markers. Lot of pingponging and unable to engage for long periods. Don't know if Ap1 would handle the scenario in the example pic.
They really should work on vision instead of childish easter eggs.
View attachment 268576

I think there's not a snowball's chance in hell that my AP1 car would handle that scenario. Doubt it would even engage as our roads look pretty much the same right now and it won't.

OK, I am suggesting we make separate AP status threads for each continent.

This seems completely useless comparing anecdotes from U.S. vs. Europe, because in one place everything is wonderful and in another it all falls apart in the next message.
To be fair a lot off you guys drive on the wrong side. Too easy and it has to be said.... low hanging joke fruit

Well, maybe if some abroad actually drove their Tesla instead of their ICE, they too might have improved maps and a more enjoyable experience. Just saying.

I'm trying to be helpful here, as are many people. Snide remarks help nothing.

This location-dependence angle is something we are wise to consider. It is becoming obvious IMO that it explains some of our differences.

Just now we're talking differences in snow: AP2 - Snow radar failure

I posted a recent report too: How is .40/.42 AP2 doing for you?