Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 - Snow radar failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate your video. How do those windshield wipers manage to keep the windshield clean with such perfect regularity anyway? My AP1 rain sensors can't do that!!! You must have used a very dirty trick there, like manually actioning the thing (OK, you probably did it only once, whereas I admit in my AP1 car I need to do it every two minutes). And what's the point anyway of showing off your AP2 vs. my AP1. Are you saying your AP2 could be becoming better than my AP1??? I find that totally blasphemous :p

Last edited:
The current software release has wildly exceeded my previous statements. This barely counts as "a few flakes", the snow is so light, it hasn't even formed flakes yet. This is immediately after getting the red hands "take over immediately". Also to add, on the way back from this trip, one of the ultrasonics was misbehaving so badly, the car tried to do active collision avoidance, it beeped and pulled the steering wheel to one side (with me driving 100% manually). Had to resist it. Could have easily spun me out. Sorry, I didn't take pictures since I didn't want to die.

This is going to be a sh**** winter....

Attachments

• IMG_7913.JPG
    IMG_7913.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7910.JPG
    IMG_7910.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7915.JPG
    IMG_7915.JPG
    269.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Speaking of weather, it is of course obvious that ATX and NE have different weather patterns. But I wonder if even subtler atmospheric differences might play a part, in addition to differences in infrastructure, markings etc., even small ones. And then there's of course the mapping question and its effects...

Speaking of weather, it is of course obvious that ATX and NE have different weather patterns. But I wonder if even subtler atmospheric differences might play a part, in addition to differences in infrastructure, markings etc., even small ones. And then there's of course the mapping question and its effects...

Radar doesn't see lines. Ultrasonics also don't see lines, nor do they seem to have much effect from liquid water. So "oh look it's amazing it drove in rain" is simply not a good comparison to begin with, nor does it belong in this thread.

Radar doesn't see lines. Ultrasonics also don't see lines, nor do they seem to have much effect from liquid water. So "oh look it's amazing it drove in rain" is simply not a good comparison to begin with, nor does it belong in this thread.

Yeah, I am obviously grouping a lot of issues in my previous message, not all (or most?) related to radars and snow... Just kind of trying to put out there the potential reasons to our differences in experiences...

In any case, the ultrasonics have always been a terrible choice for any action at speed. Tesla really should have more radar coverage.

Yeah, I am obviously grouping a lot of issues in my previous message, not all (or most?) related to radars and snow... Just kind of trying to put out there the potential reasons to our differences in experiences...

In any case, the ultrasonics have always been a terrible choice for any action at speed. Tesla really should have more radar coverage.

I like the discussion here and how AWD frames the dilemma, counting disengagements versus successes. Everyone is different, and I am aware of where AP2 falls short. My videos make it look like I'm cherry picking but that's because I am... like AWD said,
I'm looking for the "whoa I can't believe it was able to do that moments"

The things that need to be fixed in my opinion are 1) hills 2) robust lane change ability and blindspots. I don't worry about speed limit reading and recognizing trucks versus motorcycles, because we've seen AP1 do it. I figure it's a matter of time and it doesn't impact my day to day use very much except for the occasional crappy mislabeled speed limit in the nav.

You will see a very very different buttershrimp if you don't see number 1 and 2 addressed by the summer. I thought about this over the summer on what seems reasonable, and to me, not addressing it by then without a massive amount of real transparency would be unforgivable. I just don't think Tesla can claim there is a leap in progress until that happens. Right now, I like how it's progressing but really want to see the next big leap. My guess is problem one gets solved a couple of updates after HD maps and problem 2 gets solved by February or March. I am a happy dude until then, but I'd start getting nervous if I don't see those things by April.... I really don't think it will come to that.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I use AS all the time. It snows in Chicago frequently. Still no issues this winter. Just drove through a significant lake enhanced snowfall this morning in HO HO HO mode. No biggie for AS other than the fact new AS seems to be a slight regression on curve lane keeping. It wasn't the snow nor did my radar give up the ghost nor was there any issue with AP2 operating despite the fact lane lines were partially obscured by blowing snow.

I just don't see any issues.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
I drove home from Indy in a rain/snow/kinda in between moisture for 100 miles.
The AS would not change lanes about 75% of the time.
It also did a couple of wild "wiggles" that kept me awake (that was a joke I was not tying to sleep)

Off topic a bit but the vampire stole 20 miles of range from me in a little under two day's while car was parked at Airport (temps in the 30's)

I use AS all the time. It snows in Chicago frequently. Still no issues this winter. Just drove through a significant lake enhanced snowfall this morning in HO HO HO mode. No biggie for AS other than the fact new AS seems to be a slight regression on curve lane keeping. It wasn't the snow nor did my radar give up the ghost nor was there any issue with AP2 operating despite the fact lane lines were partially obscured by blowing snow.

I just don't see any issues.

Yeah and this is why it is so puzzling. Is the snow in Europe simply so different in nature (different road keeping methods) or what explains this discrepancy? Is the better mapping in U.S. giving the car extra confidence to ignore radar issues?

On one hand we have people who "don't see any issues" and on the other us who have a completely different and opposite experience where a relatively small amount of snow kills the radar and AP2.

Assuming nobody is lying, this is puzzling. And makes these anecdotal reports pretty pointless.