Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

.48 feels like AP2 finally passed AP1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Joe F, 24h service use the term "driver assistance" when my autopilot, tacc, autosteer and auto high beams got disabled on the buggy .50 update.

And I disagree with your post and wonder: what does "enhanced" mean to you? If you can choose between "ordinary" and "enhanced" product, how do you know the difference?

@Joe F, 24h service use the term "driver assistance" when my autopilot, tacc, autosteer and auto high beams got disabled on the buggy .50 update.

Isn't Driver Assistance the name of the Settings menu that sets up stuff like that? I forget if auto high beams are there though... Maybe that's how they group them.

Excuse a tangent:

I must say, that every time I look at that Driver Assistance screen, I see endless potential. I feel the potential. I like what I see as far as future expansion potential. Every time we get a new toggle there, I really like it.

You guys know I'm not too excited about incremental tuning of the lane-changing process. I'm really not. But give me a new driver's aid, a distinct new feature, and I'll be all over it.

I look forward to e.g. camera-based blind-spot detection. Really, would be great.

Reactions: Joe F

And I disagree with your post and wonder: what does "enhanced" mean to you? If you can choose between "ordinary" and "enhanced" product, how do you know the difference?

Doesn't matter what it means to me as I didn't coin the phrase.

Here's how Tesla defines it as the additional and enhanced H/W departs from the MobilEye suite:

Advanced Sensor Coverage

Eight surround cameras provide 360 degrees of visibility around the car at up to 250 meters of range. Twelve updated ultrasonic sensors complement this vision, allowing for detection of both hard and soft objects at nearly twice the distance of the prior system. A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing provides additional data about the world on a redundant wavelength that is able to see through heavy rain, fog, dust and even the car ahead.

Processing Power Increased 40x
To make sense of all of this data, a new onboard computer with over 40 times the computing power of the previous generation runs the new Tesla-developed neural net for vision, sonar and radar processing software. Together, this system provides a view of the world that a driver alone cannot access, seeing in every direction simultaneously, and on wavelengths that go far beyond the human senses.

Enhanced Autopilot
Enhanced Autopilot adds these new capabilities to the Tesla Autopilot driving experience. Your Tesla will match speed to traffic conditions, keep within a lane, automatically change lanes without requiring driver input, transition from one freeway to another, exit the freeway when your destination is near, self-park when near a parking spot and be summoned to and from your garage.

Tesla’s Enhanced Autopilot software has begun rolling out and features will continue to be introduced as validation is completed, subject to regulatory approval.

I forget, did we know for sure who was the old database provider and the new?

The claim is TomTom… But check out the Autopilot map tiles thread. The current map tiles are from June 2017 for the USA, and some were as old as 2016 for EU. The development tiles have recently started getting 1205 date stamps and I've been noticing those map tiles showing better speed limits.

Regardless of where they came from, they appear to be baked into the Autopilot map tiles.

• Informative
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
There, fixed it for you.

Join me on my positive threads
I thought "there, I fixed it for you" is a common Internet joke. No? :)

Look, you guys keep talking about me, while I'm trying to talk Tesla and its products. I would love more focus on the latter - I'm not important, just a voice amongst many.
An internet joke? Hmmmm let me borrow your car for a bit AR, I need to make a withdrawal at the bank with a ski mask !

Good point. I didn't have time to evaluate the distance from my camera to the traffic light.

All I noticed was that the light turned green, then my TACC-enabled car started moving, even though the car ahead of me stood still.

I'll be sure to try this again when possible and report back
My car was adjusting speed at light today on .48, I thought it was just a coincidence

• Informative
Reactions: lunitiks
Joe - AR has earned the privilege of being the one person allowed to post Tesla's wording on EAP/FSD here twice a month. Please don't challenge his privilege, or we're going to have to read that wording once a week :). (and BTW, AR, I agree that FSD wording is very much, huh, "strange", but I noticed that even before the first time you posted it :)).

But this is not about the EAP/FSD wording, but about AP2/AP1 parity. Please tell us, AR, upon what your clear opinion on AP2 vs. AP1 (lack of) parity is based. I would never dare to opine on parity as I can't compare myself. Have you recently, or ever, done the comparison AP2 vs. AP1 yourself, or is your opinion based on what you read on the Internet? Why not get together with an AP1 owner, do the test, and post the results here (with a video, if possible)? And if you cannot do that where you live, why not take the more modest approach of not opining on the subject, until you have had the opportunity to base your opinion on experience? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying I don't know, and that unless you tested it yourself, you also don't really know how strong your feelings on the subject matter should be, if they are only based on what you read.

@Carl Obviously my AP1 experience comes from the cars of others, I have only owned pre-AP and AP2. This means my AP1 experience is limited. What I have experienced in AP1, though, is a confident product with a number of features AP2 does not have.

Look.

If this was a close call, I'd think differently. Let's say AP2 had all the features AP1 had, and we'd just be arguing which one is more confident in steering, I'd be willing to call it for AP2 or at least understand very well why some would. That would be a subjective call and would require lots of on-road time in both to judge.

But we're not even at feature parity, that much is simply factual: speed sign recognition is missing, non-highway lane change is missing, non-lane change multi-lane vehicle ID is missing, vehicle ID type is missing for AP2 (and if you want to count it, auto-wipers are missing from AP2).

AP2 has no feature AP1 does not. AP1 has several features AP2 does not. That's really the point I'm trying to make here. It is very hard to argue AP2 is at parity, let alone beyond, until it has the same or at least something different extra than AP1.

And, really, the reports on the driving itself are a mixed bag. I'm willing to call it a possible tie, but that still leaves the lack of feature parity.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
If you guys disagree with me on AP1 vs. AP2 parity, I would love to hear the logic that you think places AP2 (as the software currently stands, of course) at the level or beyond AP1 and how you disagree on the feature disparity or how you see it.

I'd just really like to see a A/B comparison AP1 vs. AP2 on the same software and the same roads, today. A member on the Low Countries forum said he would take some time over the holiday season to do that. If he does, you'll be sure I (or he) will update you here!

And frankly, any AP1 driver in Austin should get together with @buttershrimp to do the same!! (and teach the latter some lessons in musical taste, while he's at it - I have had that stupid "Funky Town" theme in my head for the last four days or so...)

Reactions: daktari
Joe - AR has earned the privilege of being the one person allowed to post Tesla's wording on EAP/FSD here twice a month. Please don't challenge his privilege, or we're going to have to read that wording once a week :). (and BTW, AR, I agree that FSD wording is very much, huh, "strange", but I noticed that even before the first time you posted it :)).

But this is not about the EAP/FSD wording, but about AP2/AP1 parity.

Sorry, you're right. Far be it from me to foster that plight. ;)

I though the question as to how I defined "enhanced" was tangentially in keeping with the OP's statement, so wanted to put it out there for those finding TMC and this thread but may not know the facts.

I'd just really like to see a A/B comparison AP1 vs. AP2 on the same software and the same roads, today. A member on the Low Countries forum said he would take some time over the holiday season to do that. If he does, you'll be sure I (or he) will update you here!

And frankly, any AP1 driver in Austin should get together with @buttershrimp to do the same!! (and teach the latter some lessons in musical taste, while he's at it - I have had that stupid "Funky Town" theme in my head for the last four days or so...)

I would of course encourage and find these interesting too.

Why is it AR or us that don't enjoy parity that should document it? I think they who claim parity should document it, like in pharma.
Tesla made a video once, why can't they make another? They earn money on this product? Or invite journalists to a test with the competition, like BMW does?