Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5% increase in power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new BMW M340i has 380HP and does 0-60 in 4.2 sec. The new BMW M3 has 450HP and does 0-60 in 3.7 sec. I think that(0.5 sec) is a good spread between 0-60 times for the Model 3 Performance and Dual Motor. Since the Model 3P is at 3.2 sec now, it would make sense to drop the DM down to like 3.7 sec. Especially with the BMW M340i doing it in 4.2 sec. And BMW usually underestimates their #'s so it will probably be more like 4.0 sec.
Yeah, my bad was looking at the M2 competition specs versus the M3.

Isn't that the same situation as BMW with the 340 and M3? The dual motor model 3 should really only be about a half second to three-quarters of a second slower than the performance model. Especially since the cost difference was only $5,000 after refunding the cost of the PUP pkg.
It isn't as big an issue for BMW because the M3 looks faster than the 340i. ;) True story; Having all sorts of different visual clues of "this car is more serious" makes the spec gap much larger in customer's minds, in no small part because it makes the gap larger in bystander's minds.

• Informative
Reactions: Scott7 and dhrivnak
The new BMW M340i has 380HP and does 0-60 in 4.2 sec. The new BMW M3 has 450HP and does 0-60 in 3.7 sec. I think that(0.5 sec) is a good spread between 0-60 times for the Model 3 Performance and Dual Motor. Since the Model 3P is at 3.2 sec now, it would make sense to drop the DM down to like 3.7 sec. Especially with the BMW M340i doing it in 4.2 sec. And BMW usually underestimates their #'s so it will probably be more like 4.0 sec.
I would, swear on my Grandmother's grave, swoon if they gave my LR D enough jump to do a 3.9s 0-60.

I would, swear on my Grandmother's grave, swoon if they gave my LR D enough jump to do a 3.9s 0-60.

I wouldn't expect they'd do 3.9 advertised on the AWD.

But remember Tesla is doing the deceptive thing of only giving the P listed time the roll out advantage... (which is why the listed gap went from 1 second to 1.2 (now 1.3) between AWD and P....

I'd be fine if they just put "4.1" as the listed spec for the AWD doing that same crap.... this has a lot of advantages:

1) It lets them show their AWD car is quicker than BMWs on posted specs.

2) It lets P folks remain happy they're the only ones getting "advertised" 3.something 0-60s

3) It lets AWD owners get 3.9 using the same standard the P (and all the other car mags) actually use for specs.

It isn't as big an issue for BMW because the M3 looks faster than the 340i. ;) True story; Having all sorts of different visual clues of "this car is more serious" makes the spec gap much larger in customer's minds, in no small part because it makes the gap larger in bystander's minds.

Totally agree. M3 has flared fenders, wider track width, CFRP everywhere, carbon fiber driveshaft, special engine with special tune and special sound in addition to gobs more power and a transmission that delivers said power in a very special way. Special brakes. Special seats and carbon fiber trim galore.

While the P3D is an amazing value, it doesn’t feel special when you drive it like a normal car. M cars feels special going 0mph, 155mph, and everything in between.

Totally agree. M3 has flared fenders, wider track width, CFRP everywhere, carbon fiber driveshaft, special engine with special tune and special sound in addition to gobs more power and a transmission that delivers said power in a very special way. Special brakes. Special seats and carbon fiber trim galore.

While the P3D is an amazing value, it doesn’t feel special when you drive it like a normal car. M cars feels special going 0mph, 155mph, and everything in between.

It's a shame the P3D wasn't offered in a signature color with 275 tires, rolled fenders, and sportier seats. And lets not forget, make it in a two door please!

Reactions: remlemasi
I’m, obviously, a huge Tesla fan. If the P looked more performance I would have sprung for it over the AWD. I understand why it’s not and I don’t blame Tesla at all, im just saying. My last car was a C7Z06/Z07 that looked wayyyy tougher than a regular C7 Corvette but is 95% the same thing. That $10k was a hard pill to swallow for harder acceleration down low. Make it M3ish and I’m all in. PS I wouldn’t dare trade my AWD for any BMW M3. lol

Best,
Gene

I’m, obviously, a huge Tesla fan. If the P looked more performance I would have sprung for it over the AWD. I understand why it’s not and I don’t blame Tesla at all, im just saying. My last car was a C7Z06/Z07 that looked wayyyy tougher than a regular C7 Corvette but is 95% the same thing. That $10k was a hard pill to swallow for harder acceleration down low. Make it M3ish and I’m all in. PS I wouldn’t dare trade my AWD for any BMW M3. lol

Best,
Gene

+1

I just want the power output increase + track mode of the P and not their suspension nor their brakes as neither would be kept when properly tracked either way. Cash is ready once they offer this upgrade.