Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5% increase in power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
20190305_162406.jpg
Racing brake
Nope, the car peaks around 0.9g under acceleration and doesn’t slip or become traction limited until at least 1.25g on these tires so it won’t matter.

Vorsteiner VFF-103 19x8.5 front (23.2 lbs) and 19x9.5 rear (22.0lbs). Michelin PS4S 245/40 front and 275/35 rear. Saving ~5lbs per corner on average wheel+tire. Will be getting two more 9.5’s soon for a square 275 track only setup. Staggered is better for street efficiency since understeer concerns won’t happen until you’re at or near the limit.

Rotors are stock, saving 1-2 lbs on those is pretty much negligible for straight line performance on a 4100lb car compared to other environmental factors.

Racing brake claims that you are dropping almost 25 lb if you put on all four rotors. And all that unsprung so that's reasonably significant. I put fronts on several weeks ago and I'm about to put rears on. They also look a lot better.

Perhaps, but you might not have noticed in a few other threads some of us were pointing out that sessions can eat 50% or more SOC. In such an environment, having enough energy to run sessions at all is the challenge. Speaking for myself in the 3, starting a session anywhere from 60-100% SOC has been fine. If I could do all sessions in a lapping day starting at 60% SOC and still get home, I'd be much happier than I get today even starting one session a day higher than that.

Yeah, I ran 20 min / 20 mile sessions and used over 100 miles of range. Makes sense, I saw the trip meter at 1200 wHr / mile.

In three sessions, I went from fully charged at 310 miles down to 9 miles. I was charging between runs, but only had about 20-30 minutes to charge at 240v 32a between sessions.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Yeah, I ran 20 min / 20 mile sessions and used over 100 miles of range. Makes sense, I saw the trip meter at 1200 wHr / mile.

In three sessions, I went from fully charged at 310 miles down to 9 miles. I was charging between runs, but only had about 20-30 minutes to charge at 240v 32a between sessions.
Thanks for the data!

I was definitely surprised to see 169mi rated burned in 25min. No charging was available at the track that day either. :|

P3D+

Dragy 0-60 MPH

85% SOC

5.15: = 3.54 seconds (multiple runs)
8.3 = 3.46 seconds (multiple runs)
5.15 Chill = 7.78 seconds

I can definitely feel the power difference.

Launch technique: Enable Brake hold, hover foot away from accelerator and stomp on it quickly
That's consistent with my runs as well about a tenth of a second. Sometimes slightly more, sometimes slightly less. It would be great if somebody could get a quarter mile time.

I got the update last night. I’m only able to comment on feel.

I feel like the throttle response was kicked up a notch. And definitely feel a slight big more pull higher up. But this is only initial feel, I haven’t had much opportunity to play.

Not matter what happens, it’s a little extra power on an already powerful car, most of us aren’t going to notice much unless they are actually collecting data.

Should be more noticeable on the non P cars.

I feel like the throttle response was kicked up a notch. And definitely feel a slight big more pull higher up. But this is only initial feel, I haven’t had much opportunity to play.

Not matter what happens, it’s a little extra power on an already powerful car, most of us aren’t going to notice much unless they are actually collecting data.

On the other hand, if the upgrade was a free-flow exhaust the extra rumble would be causing owners to rave about how much more power they felt - a night and day difference, LOL! Never mind that a dyno might show a slight gain on the high end with a slight decrease in torque lower down.

This increase had no downside and a nice bump up top, albeit without any increased decibels, thank you very much!

Reactions: dfwatt and Ol'Blue
I got the update last night. I’m only able to comment on feel.

Should be more noticeable on the non P cars.

Data you say? ...still waiting on the update, but here's some data for 2019.5.15 that I'll compare to 2019.8.4 (or whatever I end up with when I finally get it...). A smartphone is ALMOST as good as a dyno these days. ;)

Accelerometer DAQ

Data you say? ...still waiting on the update, but here's some data for 2019.5.15 that I'll compare to 2019.8.4 (or whatever I end up with when I finally get it...). A smartphone is ALMOST as good as a dyno these days. ;)

Accelerometer DAQ

I look forward to the comparison. What kind of phone recorded this and how was it mounted? I assume it needs to be level to the ground for the best performance? Did you calibrate the accelerometer to zero before the run?

I look forward to the comparison. What kind of phone recorded this and how was it mounted? I assume it needs to be level to the ground for the best performance? Did you calibrate the accelerometer to zero before the run?

Original Pixel. I had the phone docked in the car. It was calibrated, and then I subtracted the gravity vector from the data to bring it to "0" at rest (column F in the spreadsheet). The phone has a 3-axis accelerometer, so being level is not necessary as long you zero out the gravity for each axis and then sum them together. Used Physics Toolbox Pro to do the data capture then analyzed the data in Google Sheets.

View attachment 391637
Racing brake claims that you are dropping almost 25 lb if you put on all four rotors. And all that unsprung so that's reasonably significant. I put fronts on several weeks ago and I'm about to put rears on. They also look a lot better.
How hard have you pushed them for heat? I have to figure out what to do about discs, I'm not tracking again with the stock discs after beating them up to the point of needing them turned last time out.

I considered the MPP Big Brake front kit but they require you to run 19" rims, so I'm trying to find another option that'll still stand up to heat better.

Reactions: dfwatt
Re: charging with or without track mode enabled. I tried both ways yesterday and with track mode on there doesn’t seem to be any SoC gain, or very little. I settled on driving around the pits at 5mph for a few minutes after a session to cool the brakes off then plugging it in w/track mode enabled. Then after about 10 min when I could hear the fans step down to the level they’re at when you engage track mode (before any hard driving) I turned off track mode and got as much charging as I could. Works for me.

Reactions: wenkan
Re: charging with or without track mode enabled. I tried both ways yesterday and with track mode on there doesn’t seem to be any SoC gain, or very little. I settled on driving around the pits at 5mph for a few minutes after a session to cool the brakes off then plugging it in w/track mode enabled. Then after about 10 min when I could hear the fans step down to the level they’re at when you engage track mode (before any hard driving) I turned off track mode and got as much charging as I could. Works for me.
I don't know whether supercharging with track mode on would help. But a typical destination charger should not be powerful enough to require extra cooling.

Btw how much % did you consume per regular track day session? Were you still able to do 3 sessions?

I don't know whether supercharging with track mode on would help. But a typical destination charger should not be powerful enough to require extra cooling.

Btw how much % did you consume per regular track day session? Were you still able to do 3 sessions?
I think it’s not that the destination charger requires extra cooling it’s that the batteries and motors get very hot. My thinking is it’s good to let them cool down from extreme heat before asking them to accept more charge. Shrug.
I used a ton of charge each session, I got 4ish 20 min sessions in but my first couple involved coming in with the instructor to debrief for a few min so they weren’t full 20 min sessions. I came in with 8 % and did the last guy at the track thing so I could get home :)

Reactions: Zcd1 and wenkan