Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5% increase in power

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what I'm getting too. . . 3.2 with the one foot roll out and about 3.4 without it. Although I did get the best 0 to 30 time I've ever seen 1.5 seconds. Although that's not supposedly where the real difference is at least according to the dyno curve that we've seen. Subjectively it does feel stronger but of course we all know how reliable that is. If I could just figure out how to get a screenshot off my draggy I could upload that aarrgh

Here's the dragy graphic. No way to do 1/4 mile or 0-100 on public roads and nearest drag strip is quite a haul. This was a first off, so I suspect I might hit a 3.35 which would be somewhere in the 3.1s with rollout. With lightweight wheels and 19 inch 235s, I suspect someone will break the 3.1 mark with rollout snd show a first 3.0x time. Subjectively on this run, the launch felt good, and the car pulled very strongly until about 45-50 when you could tell that the G force was declining just a bit. I bet that we show the 1/4 mile in 11.5 @118,

Screenshot_20190328-221013_dragy.jpg

Reactions: is2scooby
Ha thanks. I think it's more that I'm a somewhat scientific/technical person and enjoy seeing how much I can maximize performance as an ever-going competition with myself. I almost never keep any loose items in my car, I run lighter & wider 19" wheels, and I look for flat roads on 60-80F days to do performance testing at 90% or greater charge.

My car was one of the first P3D's ever built (early July '18). Now if that makes any difference hardware wise I don't think anyone would know other than a handful of Tesla manufacturing engineers. Other than that, it's a standard white/white P3D+

I assume that the 3.16 time is with rollout? Do you have a special launch technique? Slip start or track mode for example?

What are you running for rims and tires/ Also, have you replaced the rotors, as that can save some weight too. I've done the fronts, about to do the rears.

Currently have Vorsteiner 9 and 10.5 inch rims, which I love the look of, but I'm unhappy with the weight (26-27 lbs). May get some VS forged to drop some lbs, but that rear tire 275/30 is a beast at 28 lbs so I'm unclear whether chasing the difference between current and VS rims is worth it. Curiously, the 275/30 actually rides as well or perhaps even better (which I know makes no sense at all!) compared to the stock 235/35 4S that was at the rear previously. Have you experimented with a staggered setup or just stayed square? My big question is whether track mode allows the extra traction at the rear to be useful or whether you just end up with more understeer than is useful.

Yes, though I found in track mode, you don't get much charging between sessions. I think most of the power went to battery cooling.
That's my expectation as well. Before track mode I got some added charge between sessions (but of course 30 amps is only so much) but if plugging in can just keep me from losing juice that's a nice bump.

SImply that they want to recharge as much as possible between sessions instead of starting the next session at a lower SOC.
Perhaps, but you might not have noticed in a few other threads some of us were pointing out that sessions can eat 50% or more SOC. In such an environment, having enough energy to run sessions at all is the challenge. Speaking for myself in the 3, starting a session anywhere from 60-100% SOC has been fine. If I could do all sessions in a lapping day starting at 60% SOC and still get home, I'd be much happier than I get today even starting one session a day higher than that.

You mean you you felt like you were charging slowly between sessions because of using track mode in the session? That would seem weird. Unless you mean you were in track mode while charging? That would be weirder :)
Yes, track mode was on while charging. It seems to put the AC on max to cool the battery.
Yah, I did this at the Centralia supercharger the other day for two reasons: (1) to see if it would do it (i.e. firmware allowed it) and (2) for similar reasons to pre-heating before a roadtrip.

So wait you guys think the cabin AC is cooling the batteries in track mode? I thought that the batteries have their own cooking system (you can hear fans kick on when you enable track mode) but I didn’t think it had anything to do with the cabin AC

I’ll do some testing between sessions this Sunday :)

So wait you guys think the cabin AC is cooling the batteries in track mode? I thought that the batteries have their own cooking system (you can hear fans kick on when you enable track mode) but I didn’t think it had anything to do with the cabin AC

There is only one AC pump and it is shared by batteries, cabin, invertor, motor, etc. (If needed it can divert the AC from the cabin to the battery/drivetrain.)

Agreed. I just did four more 0-60 runs in that same spot as earlier today. Got a couple of 3.47s @%77 SOC (Dragy verified). I've never been under 3.52 @ that same spot pre-update, so maybe a touch quicker, but clearly not by much.

I'd try some runs at a higher state of charge. I gained about 1/10 sec according to dragy. That makes sense from the horsepower curves that we saw earlier. I still think it's worth probably two tenths in the quarter mile and 3 miles an hour of trap speed given that 20 horsepower separation that goes all the way out to over 120

I assume that the 3.16 time is with rollout? Do you have a special launch technique? Slip start or track mode for example?

Nope, the car peaks around 0.9g under acceleration and doesn’t slip or become traction limited until at least 1.25g on these tires so it won’t matter.

What are you running for rims and tires/ Also, have you replaced the rotors, as that can save some weight too. I've done the fronts, about to do the rears.

Vorsteiner VFF-103 19x8.5 front (23.2 lbs) and 19x9.5 rear (22.0lbs). Michelin PS4S 245/40 front and 275/35 rear. Saving ~5lbs per corner on average wheel+tire. Will be getting two more 9.5’s soon for a square 275 track only setup. Staggered is better for street efficiency since understeer concerns won’t happen until you’re at or near the limit.

Rotors are stock, saving 1-2 lbs on those is pretty much negligible for straight line performance on a 4100lb car compared to other environmental factors.

Reactions: is2scooby