Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

5% Power Increase = ???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has there been an math or extrapolation regarding what a 5% power increase would tangibly drive? I've heard speculation of .1 sec of 0 to 60 time across the board, but wasn't sure what this might be based off of....
Power is proportional to acceleration,
and velocity = acceleration * time

So if acceleration increases 5%, time decreases 5%

If a current LR Model 0-60 is 5.3 seconds, after the upgrade it will be 5.3/1.05 = 5.048 seconds

If a current LR Model 0-60 is 5.3 seconds, after the upgrade it will be 5.3/1.05 = 5.048 seconds

This is crazy flawed. Power is up 5%, not acceleration. A percentage increase in power is not proportional to the same increase in acceleration. Not even close.

Reactions: StellarRat
This is crazy flawed. Power is up 5%, not acceleration. A percentage increase in power is not proportional to the same increase in acceleration. Not even close.
The energy invested in moving a car from 0 - 60 is ~ a combination of kinetic energy, road resistance, and aero forces acting on the car. Car power increases do not change that amount, which we will call W(ork).

Power * time = work
Since work is ~ constant, power and time are inversely proportional.

At least so my HS level physics tells me.

The energy invested in moving a car from 0 - 60 is ~ a combination of kinetic energy, road resistance, and aero forces acting on the car. Car power increases do not change that amount, which we will call W(ork).

Power * time = work
Since work is ~ constant, power and time are inversely proportional.

At least so my HS level physics tells me.

Assuming you're not trolling, there is a point of diminishing returns that anybody who understands performance cars knows about. My 460hp Corvette does 0-60 in something like 3.4 seconds. My 650 hp Viper does 0-60 in about 3.1 seconds, yet it has about 40% more power. By your calculations my Viper should be hitting 60 in the low 2 seconds which is ridiculous. Same goes for top speed. Corvette does something like 190 but my Viper tops out at 208. Shouldn't it top out at almost 270 by your linear calculations? None of this takes into account the countless variables in determining acceleration and top speed, none of which obey you direct 1:1 correlation between power increase and acceleration increase. This is so basic and widely understood that I honestly can't tell if you're trolling, or perhaps need to take a more advanced physics course than just high school.

Last edited:

SageBrush is correct:
Force = mass *acceleration
Force = electrical power (watts)* motor conversion factor
A 5% increase in peak power is a 5% increase in peak force, is a 5% increase in acceleration for the same mass, is also a 5% increase in velocity vs time.
However, in terms of a quarter mile, or other distance calc (ignoring rolling and aero):
position = 1/2*a*t^2, so with a 5% increase in a, the time to reach a specific distance changes by ~2.5%.

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
SageBrush is correct:
A 5% increase in peak power is a 5% increase in peak force, is a 5% increase in acceleration for the same mass, is also a 5% increase in velocity vs time.
However, in terms of a quarter mile, or other distance calc (ignoring rolling and aero):
position = 1/2*a*t^2, so with a 5% increase in a, the time to reach a specific distance changes by ~2.5%.

That's already significantly cutting into SageBrush's time, which is exactly what I'm saying. If you're going to use physics calculations to determine an outcome, you can't pick and choose what variables you want to include. He's excluding numerous factors ranging from rolling resistance, wind resistance (which increases exponentially), traction, traction management and slippage, ability to supply the power (injectors, intake, etc for ICE, and discharge rates for EV), and a host of other factors honestly far in excess of my knowledge. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand this. a typical 500hp sports car hits 60 in the mid 3 second range. Does anyone really think a 900hp car does the same thing in .7 seconds? Power increase and acceleration are absolutely related, but not linear (1:1) in the real world.

SageBrush is correct:

If that's the case that would be huge for 1/4th mile times.

, there is a point of diminishing returns that anybody who understands performance cars knows about. My 460hp Corvette does 0-60 in something like 3.4 seconds. My 650 hp Viper does 0-60 in about 3.1 seconds, yet it has about 40% more power.
An electric car reaches peak power sooner than an ICE, and stays there. This is why EVs keep dusting uninformed ICE drivers on the track despite having lower peak power ratings.

Has there been an math or extrapolation regarding what a 5% power increase would tangibly drive? I've heard speculation of .1 sec of 0 to 60 time across the board, but wasn't sure what this might be based off of....

math = multiply distance by 1.05.

math = multiply everything by 1.05.

I'm not sure why its more complicated than that.

Of course it reaches peak power faster than an ICE, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the direct 1:1 correlation you're asserting.
I was pointing out the greater discrepancy between peak power and average power in your ICE cars to explain your experience. If you knew the average power increase in your beefier car you would find that the improvement in race times is ~ proportional.

Last edited:
Reactions: StealthP3D