Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately all of this is in print. Which I assume means writing in your scenario. Battery day presentation, Cybertruck ordering page (since then down which proves they know they couldnā€™t meet their initial promises), end of quarter shareholder prensentstions, the list goes on. I am not saying Tesla isnā€™t doing great things. I own two Amyā€™s and had a M3. He vehicles are fantastic. I just wish they didnā€™t promise the moon and deliver some powdery white rocks 3 years too late. It wouldnā€™t be great for the stock price but customers could believe in your product and your word. Elon is turning into a younger genius version of a former president. Smart but just put a tent around the circus that follows him. Hard to take seriously anymore.
Wow. Well said. Youā€™re gonna make Earl and Lowtek go crazy . lol

• Disagree
Reactions: lowtek
Wow. Well said. Youā€™re gonna make Earl and Lowtek go crazy . lol
The Debbie Downer crew strikes again! You folks must lead incredibly unhappy lives.

@TessP100D you misunderstand me, clearly. It's not that I don't agree with *some* of the things you guys post, it's that you hangout and constantly *sugar* on everybody's excitement, spewing feelings as facts and absolutes like you work at Tesla and are "in the know". You don't know any more than the rest of us.

But you're still here, every day, finding posts and making sure you reply bringing the mood down, so much one wonders your intentions and some wonder who's paying you. I'm just telling you what everybody else thinks when they read the constant negativity, you loose your power to influence with the forever Tesla and Elon bashing.

Personally, I wonder how some of you thought that the concept features would make it into production. I, and I suspect most readers, didn't buy that for a minute. Goals are not promises.

Elon shoots for the stars and that got him into orbit, while the rest shoot for the mountain tops, gazing upward in envy. Sometimes Elon's ambition gets course corrected, but without that ambition there is no progress.

The glass is half full.

Unfortunately all of this is in print. Which I assume means writing in your scenario. Battery day presentation, Cybertruck ordering page (since then down which proves they know they couldnā€™t meet their initial promises), end of quarter shareholder prensentstions, the list goes on. I am not saying Tesla isnā€™t doing great things. I own two Amyā€™s and had a M3. He vehicles are fantastic. I just wish they didnā€™t promise the moon and deliver some powdery white rocks 3 years too late. It wouldnā€™t be great for the stock price but customers could believe in your product and your word. Elon is turning into a younger genius version of a former president. Smart but just put a tent around the circus that follows him. Hard to take seriously anymore.
If this was the first time I've heard such doubters I'd be concerned about such a pompous lecture from some clown in the internet. However, I've been through over a dozen years of this against Tesla, starting with a Roadster reservation, some of whom actually were experts on some things.
This sounds like the doubters (without reservations) who predicted that Tesla would never make it when they had to raise the price on the Roadster.
Or what about those at ULA who declared SpaceX was incompetent when they were blowing up and crashing rockets, reaching a crescendo when they crashed the first time they tried to land on a barge.
Does anyone remember that the Model 3 was delivered earlier than initial goals/predictions?
It will be interesting to hear how this thread ages starting next week and even more interesting in about 6 to 12 months.
It is, of course, possible that the CT will be a total flop. On the other hand, as the Model S did, it could become the benchmark for the future of the pickup truck.
I'm ok though. I've been investing in popcorn for the past 3 weeks :)

The ram with the v6 range extender is probably the way to go tbh. Right now to get and real towing range purely in electric, you need an absurdly large battery
Agreed - even the RAM REV 1500 offering up to 500 miles range in pure BEV form is rumored to be using a 229kwh pack - that's even larger than the 213kwh pack that GM is using in their EV pickups. Charging up such a large pack is not only time consuming, it's also not really going to be cost effective when compared to most ICE towing rigs - especially when using public chargers as opposed to home chargers. I think the BEV pickup market will appeal mostly to consumers who only tow occasionally - and when they tow - it's generally within a 100 mile vicinity of their home - like towing a boat or jet skis to a boat ramp not far from home for example, or running errands to local home improvement stores for home improvement projects. These rigs are not being built for consumers who tow often - like campers for example - and over longer distances. Not saying it cannot be done - but the towing performance just doesn't measure up to equivalent ICE towing rigs right now.

Unfortunately Elon seems prone to violating marketing 101 principles. Provide conservative estimates and then come in ahead of said estimates - which always converts into happy customers/consumers. Aim high but promise low, and then beat expectations when you come to market. Aiming high and coming in low and not meeting expectations (11k vs 14k towing, 500 miles vs ??? miles, 2500 vs 3500 payload rating, etc.), doesn't bode well in the eyes of most consumers. I'm a stockholder and therefore obviously believe in the long term vision and mission of Tesla, but the company could learn a thing or two on how to better market their products and services, at least to otherwise normative consumers outside of the worshipping fanboy base.

The Debbie Downer crew strikes again! You folks must lead incredibly unhappy lives.

@TessP100D you misunderstand me, clearly. It's not that I don't agree with *some* of the things you guys post, it's that you hangout and constantly *sugar* on everybody's excitement, spewing feelings as facts and absolutes like you work at Tesla and are "in the know". You don't know any more than the rest of us.

But you're still here, every day, finding posts and making sure you reply bringing the mood down, so much one wonders your intentions and some wonder who's paying you. I'm just telling you what everybody else thinks when they read the constant negativity, you loose your power to influence with the forever Tesla and Elon bashing.

Personally, I wonder how some of you thought that the concept features would make it into production. I, and I suspect most readers, didn't buy that for a minute. Goals are not promises.

Elon shoots for the stars and that got him into orbit, while the rest shoot for the mountain tops, gazing upward in envy. Sometimes Elon's ambition gets course corrected, but without that ambition there is no progress.

The glass is half full.
This ^^^^
It seems like the Cybertruck section of TMC is where people who hate it come to vent about how much they hate it, or how foolish we are for wanting a Cybertruck.
The nice thing is that TMC has a really useful "Ignore" button which works really well

The glass is half full.
So Tesla can do no wrong? Pleaseā€¦..

This ^^^^
It seems like the Cybertruck section of TMC is where people who hate it come to vent about how much they hate it, or how foolish we are for wanting a Cybertruck.
The nice thing is that TMC has a really useful "Ignore" button which works really well

You are not foolish for wanting one, I get it, after seeing it in person.

No one is foolish in what they want, but when they start (not you or anyone in particular here) proclaiming taking over a whole market or how something never been done before blah blah blahā€¦ā€¦. Then it is foolishā€¦.

I guess itā€™s fun watching those who HYPED the CT up with amazing specs temper their expectations and now claim Tesla did this and that because of this and thatā€¦. Theyā€™ve moved on to more talking points on how the CT is better than other EV Trucks.

In other news, here is the revel time

Unfortunately Elon seems prone to violating marketing 101 principles.
To many of us, that's a relief. Marketing 101 is all about selling refrigerators to eskimos, in other words, selling people things they don't need. Tesla is an engineering innovation company. We need to evolve beyond pathetic marketing tricks to developing and selling what we really need instead.
Also, remember that the CT is not an Elon design. It's a Franz von Holzhausen design. It's revolutionary shape (good or bad) may actually be a better truck like his Model S, 3, and Y. Or it could be a total flop like the Powerwall 1.
All of this disappointment is way premature. We really know very little about what the CT will actually be.
Stay tuned.

To many of us, that's a relief. Marketing 101 is all about selling refrigerators to eskimos, in other words, selling people things they don't need. Tesla is an engineering innovation company. We need to evolve beyond pathetic marketing tricks to developing and selling what we really need instead.
Also, remember that the CT is not an Elon design. It's a Franz von Holzhausen design. It's revolutionary shape (good or bad) may actually be a better truck like his Model S, 3, and Y. Or it could be a total flop like the Powerwall 1.
All of this disappointment is way premature. We really know very little about what the CT will actually be.
Stay tuned.
Just FYI - Marketing 101 has nothing to do with selling goods and services people don't need. In fact, it's the exact opposite - determining what the market needs - through real world research and market analysis - determining the TAM for that market - and then designing and building a product that meets those needs at a price the average consumer is willing to actually pay for that good or service. Put another way, it's all about solving real world market problems.

Musk is a great engineer in many respects - he's good in the disruption stage of the business model - but like many other innovators that came before him - it remains to be seen if he can successfully transition both himself and his company into the growth and maturity stages of business moving forward. The CT will be a real test of this ability - given Musk literally said he didn't care if anyone bought the CT - he was still going to build it regardless - so only time will tell if this works out or if Tesla takes a bath on this product. As the EV market matures - he's going to have to start marketing his products and services more substantially - as word of mouth marketing during the fanboy disruption stage is now coming to an end - so his current practice isn't going to suffice as the market becomes more saturated with competing products that will certainly be marketing to their consumer base in comparison. Tesla has already fallen from 90%+ market share only a few years ago - to 50% now - and will continue to fall down to around 20% if the Tesla long term business plan through 2030 stays intact.

People, especially fanboys, seem to be under the impression that the CT is introducing major new tech - but I personally don't see much of anything new. Air suspension on a pickup? Been around for decades now. Electronic bed covers? Been around for many years. EV pickups? Several already on the market today with a bunch more coming over the next few years. Stainless steel panels? Delorean had this over 40 years ago - nothing new here either. I saw the CT with my own eyes for a good 60 minutes examining it at a local mall on Black Friday and speaking to the store manager. I've seen exactly what the CT actually IS now with my own eyes. My wife and I both like it and, depending on the pricing, will likely convert our reservation when the time comes. Sure it's a polarizing design - but underneath I really doubt it has much real new tech to offer over and above other EVs already on the road today at a high level. I'd love to be wrong - we'll all find out on Thursday - but I'm not going to hold my breath either.

I still want range. In 2012, I didn't buy a Nissan Leaf, but instead, I purchased Tesla because of the range.

I now bought Lucid with a 516-mile range EV, and I drove 396.6 miles before I stopped at a charging station, and I still have 11% or 60 miles left.

Even 516 doesn't give me 516. It means I could drive 396.6+60= 456.6 miles only instead. That's almost 60 miles less!

Thus, even with a 500-mile Cybertruck. It's not actually 500 even when it's listed so.

2kvKO4S.jpg
but still does not negate the fact that over 90% of the drive is commute. People pay for unlimited Talk & Text but nobody use it that way. Your case should not be generalize like it's majorities wish/problem.

All they need to do is release the range and price to end these nonsense fanboy discussions ...
... and the notboy contributions ... only two more days for pre-rodeo clowning. Thankfully this thread will die on CT Delivery Event day. I am sure however, that the dung beetles will still be rolling their, you know, in the new threads.

Last edited: