Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$5000 price drop on Model X.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe related to upcoming improvement in battery... Pricing is like other tech, more features same price, so presumably they had to lower the price for older tech.

Percentage wise they lowered the price more on a Model 3 than a Model X. So much for that theory.

And with Superchargjng removed from Model X they didn’t lower the price at all as far as I’m (and many others are) concerned. I use Supercharging 2/3 of the time.

they also removed free unlimited supercharging with that 5k drop

Did they drop anything else?

FWIW, my 2016 X is often at the supercharger slurping up that free goodness, but I haven't used anywhere near $5,000 worth.

By my calculations, if I exclusively charged at the SC to avoid paying electric at home, I'd need 90,000 miles of supercharging to make up that $5,000. That's ignoring my time spent sitting there, miles added driving to and from, etc.

If I figure in paid supercharging rates (0.28/kwh) that's 17,857kwh. At an average of let's say 400wh/mi, that's 44,642 of supercharged miles to break even.

So for the ease of comparison, for anyone who generally keeps their cars only until warranty expires. This change benefits you. For anyone who drives it until it dies, it does not....unless it dies really early.

• Informative
Reactions: VikH and E Dizzle
Do the current inventory X's still keep the free supercharging? I pulled up a few random ones and it still shows it along with the $5k price drop.

You should be able to do a filter on it. When they pulled it back in 2016/2017, current inventory kept free supercharging. That was a long time ago and a different Tesla, so I'm not sure what they do nowadays.

I reserved a LR+ over the weekend awaiting delivery to my local SC. Then I saw the price drop last night. I emailed my rep. this AM and he said he can only do 5k off or keep the supercharging. I checked the local inventory and inquired why the current stock was discounted and had free supercharging still. He stated as long as car is in stock they will honor discount and supercharging. So I went ahead and cancelled my initial reservation and re-reserved the same X again when it came back to local inventory. Discounted price, free supercharging, exact config I wanted.

I reserved a LR+ over the weekend awaiting delivery to my local SC. Then I saw the price drop last night. I emailed my rep. this AM and he said he can only do 5k off or keep the supercharging. I checked the local inventory and inquired why the current stock was discounted and had free supercharging still. He stated as long as car is in stock they will honor discount and supercharging. So I went ahead and cancelled my initial reservation and re-reserved the same X again when it came back to local inventory. Discounted price, free supercharging, exact config I wanted.

Good job, congratulations on having your cake and eating it, too! Enjoy your discounted X with free supercharging.

Just curious, since you canceled, did he give an ETA on when it will go back in the Inventory with the reduced price?

According to my rep yes. So I snagged an inventory today at the reduced cost but free SC

Just a word of caution. Short term gains vs long term pains. Some HW 2.0 owners did the same when they ended the free supercharging in 2017. A couple months later, HW2.5 came out. 2.5 didn't have free supercharging, but they had a bunch of additional goodies. Equipment was made standard that were previously options. There were also hardware upgrades that were launched that enabled future software (ie, dashcam) that the older version didn't have.

To some it may not matter, to some it may. Figure I'd point it out.

Just a word of caution. Short term gains vs long term pains. Some HW 2.0 owners did the same when they ended the free supercharging in 2017. A couple months later, HW2.5 came out. 2.5 didn't have free supercharging, but they had a bunch of additional goodies. Equipment was made standard that were previously options. There were also hardware upgrades that were launched that enabled future software (ie, dashcam) that the older version didn't have.

To some it may not matter, to some it may. Figure I'd point it out.

It may matter to me. What do you see in your crystal ball? The $5k finally pushed me over the edge to go for the X over the Y. Plaid has been the biggest consideration, but thought that was a ways off for the X.

Did they drop anything else?

FWIW, my 2016 X is often at the supercharger slurping up that free goodness, but I haven't used anywhere near $5,000 worth.

By my calculations, if I exclusively charged at the SC to avoid paying electric at home, I'd need 90,000 miles of supercharging to make up that $5,000. That's ignoring my time spent sitting there, miles added driving to and from, etc.

If I figure in paid supercharging rates (0.28/kwh) that's 17,857kwh. At an average of let's say 400wh/mi, that's 44,642 of supercharged miles to break even.

So for the ease of comparison, for anyone who generally keeps their cars only until warranty expires. This change benefits you. For anyone who drives it until it dies, it does not....unless it dies really early.

Yep, FUSC has very little value. If I didn't have FUSC, I would have probably spent $300-$400 for 15,000 miles of supercharging.