Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$5000 price drop on Model X.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't say anything about the size of the battery. I was referring to the updated pack design of the 2170.

My misunderstanding, sorry.

still, I think you're going to see 18 650s in the new design S and X pack anyway. it's just too hard to get enough batteries as it is, Tesla isn't going to throw away the old equipment simply because the new design give slightly better energy density. They can do the new cooling system even with the 18 650 cell size. That I think we will see.

Stereo - Where is this coming from? I have spent significant time in a Model 3 Perf and the stereo sounds better than my premium stereo in my Model X. Many say the Model 3 stereo is better than S and X. My guess is that the M3 stereo is a transplant into the Y.
I must respectfully disagree with you concerning the stereo. I just went from owning a Model 3 to a Model X and think the X is MUCH better than the 3 was. The 3 was very good, but the X has more defined bass than my 3 did. Just ask my 20 year old son. :)

Reactions: DelPhonic1
I must respectfully disagree with you concerning the stereo. I just went from owning a Model 3 to a Model X and think the X is MUCH better than the 3 was. The 3 was very good, but the X has more defined bass than my 3 did. Just ask my 20 year old son. :)

It is hard to judge and I am definitely not an audiophile, but the article below mentions the effort put into the 3 (B&O engineers) and its superiority over the S and X. For your Model 3, did you have the premium stereo? I assume this translates to the Model Y.

Tesla reviewer reveals a secret of the Model 3's stellar sound system

Thought I'd add my experience here for anyone else wondering the same question I had for inventory vehicles. I noticed online that new inventory vehicles had both the $5k price drop AND unlimited supercharging. I called the Charlotte Tesla sales center and they said their system was "still being updated" and that I would need to choose between the two. So, naturally I called another sales center and they said they'd honor both. I take delivery tomorrow and I have in writing that I get to keep unlimited supercharging. If your sales center is telling you that you can't have both, call around!

Reactions: Zaxxon
It is hard to judge and I am definitely not an audiophile, but the article below mentions the effort put into the 3 (B&O engineers) and its superiority over the S and X. For your Model 3, did you have the premium stereo? I assume this translates to the Model Y.

We have a 3 (2018) and an X (2019),and the 3 is definitely the superior sound system. The X is not bad by any means, but I've gone directly back and forth between the two vehicles several times to listen to the same song, and the sound stage is much clearer on the 3 than on the X. Might have something to do with the giant windshield on the X; not sure.

Thought I'd add my experience here for anyone else wondering the same question I had for inventory vehicles. I noticed online that new inventory vehicles had both the $5k price drop AND unlimited supercharging. I called the Charlotte Tesla sales center and they said their system was "still being updated" and that I would need to choose between the two. So, naturally I called another sales center and they said they'd honor both. I take delivery tomorrow and I have in writing that I get to keep unlimited supercharging. If your sales center is telling you that you can't have both, call around!
All right! Way to thread the needle!

Reactions: Watts_Up
We have a 3 (2018) and an X (2019),and the 3 is definitely the superior sound system. The X is not bad by any means, but I've gone directly back and forth between the two vehicles several times to listen to the same song, and the sound stage is much clearer on the 3 than on the X. Might have something to do with the giant windshield on the X; not sure.
Of course, I’m 61 years old and spent way too much time at loud concerts so that could explain my lack of clearly hearing but is it possible the older Xs (like my 2017) have different Premium Audio setups than the newer ones?

Outdated and premium are two different things. The Model X costs more and therefore has more "premium" features.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Model X (owner for 2.5 years), but it needs an update. If you need a third row, definitely get the Model X. If not, the Model Y is a great option. Here is my rationale -

Model Y Newer Tech/Innovation - Updated battery pack (2170), more efficient 121 MPGe vs. 90 MPGe (20" Perfs), 250kw Supercharging, heat pump (this is big for northern states/colder climates), Model Y has more leg room in front and rear than MX, updated interior/landscape screen format.

Some of the items you brought up:
Homelink - non issue, just pay the money to get homelink.
2nd Row Seats - I have a Model X 6-seat and the 2nd row seats are not especially comfortable. Many people have complained they are too narrow. Less leg room than Y.
Automatic Doors - This is not a straight win for the Model X, as they are not very practical. I rarely use the presenting doors feature on the car since the doors open when I don't want them to. I also don't always use the automatic close door feature as the door tends to slam hard. That leaves the FWDs. They are great for getting in the third row and putting kids in the 2nd row. However, they are extremely showy (to the point where it is embarrassing). If you park this car in a public place and open the FWD doors, I find that someone comes up or makes a comment at least 50% of the time.
Bioweapon DM - I have used the feature a handful of times in the last 2.5 years. Usually to get rid of a bad smell. Gimmick.
Stereo - Where is this coming from? I have spent significant time in a Model 3 Perf and the stereo sounds better than my premium stereo in my Model X. Many say the Model 3 stereo is better than S and X. My guess is that the M3 stereo is a transplant into the Y.

Have you driven the Y? I spent an hour in each vehicle back to back and I've driven every variant of the X and 3 a dozen times over the years. I sat in every seat and played with every setting and switch they had. I know that can't match your 2.5 years of ownership, but I've test driven and owned enough vehicles in my life that I can get a feel for a car very quickly. After spending time in both, I did not come to the conclusion the Y was superior tech and the X needed to be taken out behind the woodshed and shot. The Y is not a step forward for me, it's a stripped down cheaper alternative to get the masses into a Tesla. And they did an outstanding job.

Heat Pump - I live in the south so I guess I really don't care about it or the extra noise it brings. But, I don't see that as a major tech advancement.

Touchscreen - I find the landscape touchscreen a step back. Widescreen is great for watching movies and playing video games, but these are two things I'll rarely do if ever because when I'm in a vehicle I'm usually driving it. I find having it in portrait more useful since I don't have to reach over as far and can have the rearview camera on at the same time. The binnacle makes it all that much better. I don't know where this widescreen is better came from anyway. Most of us use our cell phones and tablets in portrait mode a majority of the time for a reason.

Stereo - The stereo in the X was better...period. I played the same songs adjusting settings to where each sounded its best and there was no question to me the X had fuller sound with better highs, mids, and lows. I'm not saying I have golden ears, but I've spent obscene amounts on audiophile equipment chasing that extra 1% in sound (I'm far less critical now in my 40's which is why I haven't gone near Head-Fi in years and on top of that, I really don't care anyway).

Interior/Seats - As far as legroom, the two were very close and I felt more comfortable in the X as did my wife. Maybe the pano windshield and extra width made it feel that way. I didn't spend much time in the backseat of the Y because it was uncomfortable, but I didn't get any feeling one was more spacious over the other. Specs on paper don't always translate into real life. Overall, I don't find the interior more updated in the Y. It's just more spartan.

Charging - Yes, it will get done charging faster in my garage overnight as I sleep. Yes, the person in the Y will get done charging faster than me on the rare occasion I use a supercharger.

I'm not trying to disparage the Y, I reserved the AWD back in October because I was hoping it would give me most of the utility of an X and also that Tesla performance for $30k less, and it basically does. The X just serves up all the features I expect a vehicle to have in 2020 while the Y is missing a lot of them. When I buy a new vehicle I try to move the ball forward. Charging speed and heat pumps aren't the tech I'm looking for.

If someone told me the X was the successor to the Y, it would seem completely plausible to me. But, just like a modern day Honda may have better tech than a BMW from 10 years ago, it doesn't mean it's a better vehicle (I own both so I can judge).

Enjoy your X!

I think it boils down to whether these features (heated steering wheel, dimming side mirrors, big sky windshield, air susp, auto doors) are worth the $30k increase in price. Recognizing that many of these features do not function well in real life (big sky windshield can get the cabin hot, suspension has shudder issue, auto doors can be an annoyance).

I have not driven a Model Y yet but I have spent a lot of time in a Model 3 Performance and done about 1000 miles. As a current X owner it is tough to justify getting a current X. I have an order in for Model Y Perf and at this point it seems to be the better replacement.

Heat Pump - I live in the south so I guess I really don't care about it or the extra noise it brings. But, I don't see that as a major tech advancement.

This is a large advancement and is a big factor in the car's efficiency/range.

Elon Musk: Tesla Model Y heat pump is some of the best engineering I’ve seen in a while - Electrek

Touchscreen - I find the landscape touchscreen a step back. Widescreen is great for watching movies and playing video games, but these are two things I'll rarely do if ever because when I'm in a vehicle I'm usually driving it. I find having it in portrait more useful since I don't have to reach over as far and can have the rearview camera on at the same time. The binnacle makes it all that much better. I don't know where this widescreen is better came from anyway. Most of us use our cell phones and tablets in portrait mode a majority of the time for a reason.

I agree that a portrait screen is better, but Tesla has indicated that landscape is the future for all their new cars. I wouldn't be surprised to see them not adding new features to portrait screens over time. Also, mockups for the new X and S interior show a landscape screen.

Stereo - The stereo in the X was better...period. I played the same songs adjusting settings to where each sounded its best and there was no question to me the X had fuller sound with better highs, mids, and lows. I'm not saying I have golden ears, but I've spent obscene amounts on audiophile equipment chasing that extra 1% in sound (I'm far less critical now in my 40's which is why I haven't gone near Head-Fi in years and on top of that, I really don't care anyway).

This is the article I quoted above - It is hard to judge audio and I am definitely not an audiophile, but the article below mentions the effort put into the 3 (B&O engineers) and its superiority over the S and X. I assume this translates to the Model Y.

Interior/Seats - As far as legroom, the two were very close and I felt more comfortable in the X as did my wife. Maybe the pano windshield and extra width made it feel that way. I didn't spend much time in the backseat of the Y because it was uncomfortable, but I didn't get any feeling one was more spacious over the other. Specs on paper don't always translate into real life. Overall, I don't find the interior more updated in the Y. It's just more spartan.

Comfort is very subjective and based on your body type, so I won't comment on this.

Regarding leg room, Tesla has made many advancements to increase the interior space of the Model 3 and Y (this has not changed at all in the S and X except seat backs). Leg room has always been disappointing to me in the 2nd row of the Model X. For the size of the car it should have much more interior leg space.

Well, the good news is there's no such thing as a bad Tesla.

Bad Tesla 1:
upload_2020-6-4_15-43-25.gif

Bad Tesla 2:
upload_2020-6-4_15-46-8.jpeg

Bad Tesla 3:
upload_2020-6-4_15-47-26.jpeg

I wouldn’t want to buy/own any of those...

• Funny
Reactions: VikH
Well...I just cancelled my Y order and ordered a brand new 2020 X LR. At $79999 for a 5 seater X, I decided I like X more than the new Y. So there is another Y available for those waiting on Y - White/Black, 19", FSD, in Orange County, CA

Update:

Picked up white/black MX LR Plus 5 seater with FSD yesterday (exactly 1 week after I ordered the car). The Costa Mesa delivery center contacted me on Wednesday afternoon with the time and items needed to pick up...such as insurance, loan check (which was arranged by Navy Fed).

The pick up process was smooth, and I was driving out in my new MX after about 15 minutes arriving at the Costa Mesa center. I did not notice any quality issues at all. I did a very thorough and detailed check after I arrived home, and there wasn't anything wrong. The new MX did not have any issues I can complain about...including the door jam/panel gap and uneven gaskets on top of the Falcon wing doors issues I had on my 2016 MX. Everything works, including the Premium Connectivity. It was exactly the way an expensive new car should be.

Interestingly enough, there was a white/black 5 seater MY next to my new MX. I think it might have been the unit I ordered then cancelled, but I don't know.

My wife saw the MY and compared to the MX while I was signing documents...and she was glad that we decided to get another MX vs MY. She was not too enthused with the minimalist/utilitarian look of the interior, especially the dashboard. The technician let her sit in the car, and she thought the MY seats were comparable to the MX. she couldn't say one was better or worse than the other. Obviously we couldn't drive and compare the ride quality.

But I do hope someone else is enjoying the MY. I am sure it's a great car...but we are totally happy with the new MX!

I was told that Y orders are way down and that people are canceling them once they drive it.

Where did you get this info? I am betting a lot of cancellations are due to the economy/Covid, not the vehicle. Also, I can't imagine many people have test driven the car.

I have a 5 seat MY reservation from 2019 and I have not been contacted about delivery.

Can you elaborate as to why? I can see why as to the ergonomics, but I would imagine the lighter/smaller car would have better driving dynamics.

I felt like I was driving a 1990 Honda Civic. It felt cheap and was not as comfortable as the X. If it was around $45K, fine but for the high cost it was not worth it.

You can get a used X with 4 year warranty for the same price.

But for people who like small cars I am sure it will be a hit!

Reactions: tierneyalvin