Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 day old Model Y Broke down and needed a tow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is a big deal to have a brand new car that is essentially dead and needs its motor replaced 6 days into owning it. I’m forgiving, but why would I downplay THAT. Good news is that it is covered under warranty, and will hopefully be good to go in a few days.
Yes. I don't buy that their are scenarios that can't be tested in QC for the motor production. It should not really be an issue to put the motor through the full range of possible power and resistance loading that it is designed to encounter and ensure no failures. I'm not saying that would prevent every motor manufactured from failing prematurely, but it should be a rare occurrence.

Having said that, I will cut them a little slack simply because we don't know how many motors they manufacture, and of those how many have had premature failures. We only hear anecdotal statements and only the ones that are negative. So it's impossible to truly judge how often it occurs.

But if it happened to me, I'd be here complaining about poor build quality and needing better QC too. I'm a hypocrite. But an honest one.

I think it is a big deal to have a brand new car that is essentially dead and needs its motor replaced 6 days into owning it. I’m forgiving, but why would I downplay THAT. Good news is that it is covered under warranty, and will hopefully be good to go in a few days.

It is a big deal in that it is a very poor experience and inconvenience but, unless there is a pattern of motor failures, it is likely an anomaly that will quickly be remedied and the owner is no further worse for the wear. Better to happen early and replace.

I am not minimizing it (I would be PO'd if it happened to me) but, unless there is a pattern of failures, the OP should be good-to-go once replaced.

Reactions: KMCC and BdlPNW2016
The ‘big deal’ reference was regarding the replacement process degree of difficulty, I believe. Not so much a comment on the need to replace a motor after 6 days which, indeed, does suck.

Reactions: BdlPNW2016
Yes. I don't buy that their are scenarios that can't be tested in QC for the motor production. It should not really be an issue to put the motor through the full range of possible power and resistance loading that it is designed to encounter and ensure no failures. I'm not saying that would prevent every motor manufactured from failing prematurely, but it should be a rare occurrence.

Having said that, I will cut them a little slack simply because we don't know how many motors they manufacture, and of those how many have had premature failures. We only hear anecdotal statements and only the ones that are negative. So it's impossible to truly judge how often it occurs.

But if it happened to me, I'd be here complaining about poor build quality and needing better QC too. I'm a hypocrite. But an honest one.

I honestly don’t care if you don’t think there are scenarios. I have one of the first P85Ds ever, and it is exactly that as it was explained to my by an engineer who was researching why the motor failed.

So, it happens, and it’s an easy fix: disconnect the wires, unbolt, take out the drum shaped thing, put in a new one. It’s simply not comparable to an engine swap at all. More like a starter motor replacement.

Our 3200 mile MYP just got it’s RDU replaced. The car reported a BMS_A035 error and roadside had to have it towed to the service center. That was on the 12th, so 18 days to repair. Shipping delays of parts and the TG holiday I’m sure extended the repair time. Luckily they gave us a loaner M3LR to drive... they still put it in chill mode tho.

I am concerned that I’m hearing about DU failures more often, but maybe it’s just because I’m looking for people with the same issues.??? But my question now is; What are the common failure points on these motors/inverters, and what has been done to correct the problem on the replacements? I’d hate to find out they just swap in a rebuilt version of the same part and hope for the best.. Seams very Un-Tesla like..

What are the common failure points on these motors/inverters, and what has been done to correct the problem on the replacements?
I don't remember the exact details, but in Sandy Munro's teardown he noted changes to the motor components in the Model Y vs. the Model 3 they had done previously. I recall him indicating it as a good improvement. I tried to find the exact video but there are a lot of them and finding the right one and then the right part of it is taking longer than I have to look right now.

I don't remember the exact details, but in Sandy Munro's teardown he noted changes to the motor components in the Model Y vs. the Model 3 they had done previously. I recall him indicating it as a good improvement. I tried to find the exact video but there are a lot of them and finding the right one and then the right part of it is taking longer than I have to look right now.

Love his videos.

Our 3200 mile MYP just got it’s RDU replaced. The car reported a BMS_A035 error and roadside had to have it towed to the service center. That was on the 12th, so 18 days to repair. Shipping delays of parts and the TG holiday I’m sure extended the repair time. Luckily they gave us a loaner M3LR to drive... they still put it in chill mode tho.

I am concerned that I’m hearing about DU failures more often, but maybe it’s just because I’m looking for people with the same issues.??? But my question now is; What are the common failure points on these motors/inverters, and what has been done to correct the problem on the replacements? I’d hate to find out they just swap in a rebuilt version of the same part and hope for the best.. Seams very Un-Tesla like..
Just swapped the rents for a M3LR...also in chill mode

What symptoms did you encounter? We’re you driving the car when it happened?

Took a mini road trip and got the “Acceleration and top speed reduced” and “Power Reduced”. Called support, tried a few things that didn’t work and they said it needed a tow. Any ideas?
Pyro fuse, poor connector. The Y/3 seem to either do this in the first couple hundred miles or don't have problems. Sorry you experienced this but it will be fine and car did what it was supposed to do with all its self checks. My MY (ha) is one of 400 that might not have a steering bolt installed - no sensor for that!

Pyro fuse, poor connector. The Y/3 seem to either do this in the first couple hundred miles or don't have problems. Sorry you experienced this but it will be fine and car did what it was supposed to do with all its self checks. My MY (ha) is one of 400 that might not have a steering bolt installed - no sensor for that!
Wow that sounds bad. Got pics? Where can I check mine when I get it back?

With a 6 day old MY, would they put in a refurb motor or new? For my 2 year old 3, I’d expect refurb, but for 6 days old, I would like to think they’d put new.
The MY is so new there probably aren't any refurb drive units other than drive units like your drive unit that failed right after delivery and were repaired. Unless the drive unit in your Model Y ate itself then it will likely be repaired, used again. The new vehicle warranty would apply to any replacement parts installed.

The MY is so new there probably aren't any refurb drive units other than drive units like your drive unit that failed right after delivery and were repaired. Unless the drive unit in your Model Y ate itself then it will likely be repaired, used again. The new vehicle warranty would apply to any replacement parts installed.
Are the front driver units different than in the 3?

Wow that sounds bad. Got pics? Where can I check mine when I get it back?
There is a loooooong thread with an obvious title that you can check out. In that thread, only 2 owners reported the issue and, as noted, it was limited to 420+ cars built in a specific time period. You could also Google 'Tesla Model Y recall' and find out more.

Ok, here's the looooooong thread - Be aware! Missing Control Arm Nut: Potential Safety Issue