Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

6 seat MX owners with baby seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Question for 6 seat MX owners who use baby car seats: is it awkward to have the car seat in one of the two second row and not able to have one of the parents sit next to the baby since there's no center seat? We do that curently in the Model S and found it a bit awkward not being able to do that when we test drove a 6 seat X today, but also not sure about the 7 seat since rear view is obstructed and blocks access to 3rd row. Which is easier to live with?

It actually works well for us. Mom sits in the 3rd row and has direct view and access to baby in rear-facing carseat in the 2nd row. Or she can sit in the other 2nd row seat and can swivel (no arm rest in the way) and reach over to tend to the baby. The open space between the two second row seats is perfect for diaper bag and other needed baby items too.

Obviously there's no correct answer to this question. It's all about trade off and how many seats do you think you want.

My wife was dead sure to get a 7 seats. One reason was that she can sit between the toddler and the infant. It worked out pretty well. The obstructed view isn't that big of a deal. It's just same as someone sitting in the middle seat on a regular 5-seat sedan or SUV... how does that become an issue all of a sudden?

Outie, that's the same reason my wife wants the 7 seat as well. I've read a lot of people on the forum saying the middle seat head is high and rest doesn't fold down so it obstructs the view all the time, with or without anyone sitting there hence the concern. On other cars the headrests are lower and/or removal, where as Tesla uses racing style seats with high headrests that arent removable, same type of design as in some other cars like Panameras but they don't have middle seats.

Attached is a photo from a forum member showing the middle seat blocking the view in the rear view mirror, with and without the 3rd row folded down. Good to hear it hasn't been an issue for you.

Attachments

• FD8B9381-9AE8-41C1-9212-CE75C6A8AD15.PNG
    FD8B9381-9AE8-41C1-9212-CE75C6A8AD15.PNG
    2.8 MB · Views: 105
We currently have a Yukon Denali XL with the captain chairs (2 x 2 x 3) configuration.

We find the extra space between the seats to be helpful and not a hinderance. Space for the diaper bag or other items or you can sit sideways and have space for your feet if need be.

With this experience, we opted for the 6 seat Model X. We like the extra space/roominess it provides.

I have a 4yo in a big booster (Frontier 85), no babies anymore, but I love the 6 seat configuration. The extra space around the seat is super useful for late night drives (getting back to the second or third row to adjust a sleeper without opening doors, managing pillows and blankets, etc) and in general you can get to the third row without having to move the seat (which is more of a pain with a carseat installed).

Thinking back on my experience with my two former babies, I'd support what commasign said. The other captain's chair is certainly close enough to reach over and tend to a baby and the third seat would be a comfortable place to stay in their view. I'd add that the third row is much more adult comfortable with the ability to put legs between the two middle row seats.

We have our kids in the way way back, which leaves the middle free for me during the week (for lunches, etc) but still able to take both kids to school. We find it works really well. But they are 3 and 7. With a baby we would have put them in the middle and the older in the back.

15800447_10154602400825033_3270451398576737869_o.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Jurnimon
IMG_1556.JPG

we put our daughter in 2nd row behind passenger, so if mom or dad are driving it is easy to look behind shoulder to her. works well and adults fit just fine in back with 6 seater. our 7 seater model x did not work well as there was not enough leg room for 3rd row occupants. i cannot recommend the 6 seat enough!

Reactions: ModelX
IMG_1555.JPG

here is the view from our old 7 seater just for your reference. it's just no good! i cannot emphasis how uncomfortable it was for our children in car seats and adults in the 3rd row when we had 7 seats. we had to make our kids sit "criss cross applesauce" in their car seats for a road trip from san diego to san francisco. thankfully they were small and young (2 and 3). there was no room for their feet and the car seats barely fit! booster seats are fine and children without car seats do well. when you take away the middle seat you can fit adults back there and it's not so scary / chlosterphobic for kids.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jurnimon
We had a 7 seat X for a few months... When we switched card we configured the new one as a 6 seater... And much prefer the 6 seater.

We've always had the parents in the front and the kids in the middle row so in that sense or situation is a little different.
We found the back row in the 7 seater to be really difficult to use.

• Informative
Reactions: ModelX