Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60 > 75 Upgrade now $2k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be pretty ticked off if I paid $7,00 for the upgrade. Tesla should really refund the difference for those who paid it. Yes business is business, but customer retention is even a bigger reason.

Im actually annoyed they keep changing things . Iv had my car for 4 months and they have already discontinued the 60 and made the trunk opener standard. Constantly changing things is a tad annoying.

I would be pretty ticked off if I paid $7,00 for the upgrade. Tesla should really refund the difference for those who paid it. Yes business is business, but customer retention is even a bigger reason.

Im actually annoyed they keep changing things . Iv had my car for 4 months and they have already discontinued the 60 and made the trunk opener standard. Constantly changing things is a tad annoying.
Unfortunately Tesla's changing all the time is part of the game. I received my S right before they switched over to the new multipattern seats and wish I had them, but I'm still driving the same amazing car. I didn't realize how convenient the trunk opener was until I had a service loaner. My trunk requires a good amount of force to close properly, so I find myself shutting it multiple times too often. Again, I'm still driving the same amazing car so it's okay (although a retrofit would be awesome as unlikely as it is).

Hopefully they do something for those who paid a premium for the range unlock earlier, but then it also wouldn't be fair for those who bought the S75/75D before the price drop too. Maybe they can offer free maintenance plans or extended warranty for customer retention if they won't offer a partial refund.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
tesla give money back to a buyer? hahahaha never gonna happen. 2k is still over priced.$500 is more realistic.

all the cpo autos that are s60 will likely become s75 by telsa so sell for more...I say holdout for the price to go down on a 60 to 75 update...Too many have already bought this...and they add tax onto it as well?? lol for turning on software remotely...what a joke

I'm noticing two things... Regen braking at 100% with the 75 upgrade really feels different (I.e. It was mostly gone previously but is totally gone now), and supercharging is taking forever. I'm not sure if I can attribute that to circumstance and I'm hitting slow chargers or what, but it seems like every stop is taking me an hour now on this trip.

Hoping this is just the car learning its new capability. Or maybe it's just me being crazy.

I'm noticing two things... Regen braking at 100% with the 75 upgrade really feels different (I.e. It was mostly gone previously but is totally gone now), and supercharging is taking forever. I'm not sure if I can attribute that to circumstance and I'm hitting slow chargers or what, but it seems like every stop is taking me an hour now on this trip.

Hoping this is just the car learning its new capability. Or maybe it's just me being crazy.
Charging the top end of a battery is very slow. Imagine filling up a bucket with the restriction you can't overflow it. When it's empty or half full you'll turn on the hose at full blast. However, as you get closer to the top, you'll turn the water pressure down so it doesn't spill. At the very top you'll drip the water into the bucket to fill it completely.

Back when I had my Nissan Leaf I would occasionally wait on someone at the L3 charger who would be waiting the full 30 minutes of Nissan's free charging to get the last percentage of charge, even though they didn't need it. On Superchargers you should use enough to get to the next Supercharger or your final charging location (plus a buffer obviously). Of course there are times you will need that top end, but probably not most of the time.

The braking will feel different at 100% since you're using the brake pads without regen braking (since there is no battery to regen at that point).

Wait a minute folks. I see a new 75 is now listed as 69,500k, that is just $500 more than the price of the 60 before it was discontinued but with Glass roof, so removing that 500 to account for solid roof, its the SAME price. So looks like they price dropped the S75 to be the S60 price and the 75D is now the 60D price

60 owners when we pay 2k ($2200 with tax) to upgrade now pay MORE than a new 75 costs. Its not a good deal at all, unfortunately we are getting shafted within months of buying the car. We should be getting the upgrade for free!

Also, it looks like Automatic lift gate is now standard. Again really frustrating as that was pretty much the ONLY thing I wanted in the PUP but I didn't want to pay such a huge premium for it, I really need that since my wife has a very tough time with the manual trunk lid.

I feel really let down now. Just 2 months after I buy the car, there is a much better car being offered for the exact same price and I have to now pay more to match up only part of it?

Or am I missing something?
totally agree....shafted is right....tesla koolaid drinkers think 2k is a deal...it was overpriced to begin with and still is...it could be $500 like going from a 70-75...sick of teslas numbers games.

This is BS. I just paid $7,000 48 hours ago for the 75 upgrade as I was going on a long trip. I'm going to contact Tesla to see what they can do as this gets under my skin that they drop the price by 70% not 48 hours after I make the purchase.
welcome to tesla...they knew about the pricedrop when you paid...it wasnt just a wake up one day decision...hope you can get money back but dont bet on it

Reactions: energy7
Those who paid more, or recently bought a car, come on, prices change. If the prices went up, you wouldn't be offering to pay more, then why demand a refund after prices went down? It's a rhetorical question of course, the actual answers is that everyone always wants money back but nobody wants to pay more. Bottom line is you got what you agreed to pay for, what happens after is irrelevant, so why let it spoil your mood? Ever bought or sold stock?

In the interest of full disclosure, I got a 60 upgradeable to 75. As for the $2K price, funny thing, probably would have bought it when buying a car, but now that we've had the 60D, I realize that upgrading to 75D would not provide $2000 worth of benefit for us. If it was $500, I'd get it on the spot, but no more than that. At $1000 I'd probably wait for when and if we need to do a far trip with the both cars together, which will probably never happen. The thing is, the last 10% or so of the battery is not as useful because I'd rarely charge to 100% (on the 85 in 2 years I charged to 100% maybe 8 times, 5 of those on a coast to coast trip where I wanted to cruise at high speeds between superchargers). But, I am not going to get upset if the upgrade price never does go down, or even if it goes up. I got what I agreed to pay for, so no complaints here.

I agree. And, if I had purchased this weeks or months ago, so be it, that's business. But, when you make a purchase only to have the business drop the price by 70% less than 48 hours later, that might put a sour taste in the consumers mouth. Had Tesla dropped the price by $500-$1000, no big deal. But a 70% drop is big pill to swallow. Most businesses will do price matching within a certain timeframe and it would be good if Tesla did.

i'd be gutted. The discount is huge! Especially when Tesla do all the "pay $7000 now, or $9000 later BS" all the time. When they really mean "pay this now, pay a bit more after, or pay a quarter the price in 6 months when we realise that middle one was stupidly overpriced oh and PS it didn't really offer as much benefit as the badge might make you think it did cos actually the kW is just a round-up, round-down numbers game we like to play!" It shows how ridiculous the previous price is. On a cost per kW there was no justification for it being so much. Especially when it was software limited on the same hardware.
I hope most people didn't get it before - and picked up on WKD's work that the software limited 60 was really a 62 and the 75 was really a 73 and with the added benefit you could do a 100% charge in a 60 (which wasnt a 60) and be only a few miles short of a recomended 90% in a 75 - and be having the same effect on your battery.
Tesla's obviously doing it to get more people to switch because too few people were doing it before - and to bump their quarterly margin - especially with the price reduction on the 75s. It also makes the 75 as the base of the S/X and the top of the 3, with no 60's in the S range any more. I wonder if the few people will be offered a discount to up their S40 to a S60?
I did think there was too big a price gap between a 3 and a 75. It was >2x. Now "only" 2x. Still think there is too big a gap and it explains why Elon tweets about bigger car, more storage, 2 screens, etc). Comparing it to other products - you see it in top-end CPU's from Intel - but it's not like the margin is that big in other consumer products - this years Iphone doesn't cost 2x as much as last years.
Anyway - still waiting for my 3 reservation - but as I've posted elsewhere - wishing it was a hatchback - and had a driver instrument cluster :(

Last edited:
Reactions: Gentilly7
Btw, I think it's more likely Tesla realized the conversion rate on the upgrade is very low, so lower the price to increase the take rate and maximize the profit - basic economics. 1000 updates at $2000 is more profit than 50 at $5000. I wouldn't be surprised the price would drop even further in the future, like other software products (since 60->75 is just a software option). Start high, get a wave of people. Once that waves dries out, lower the price, get another wave. Repeat until you've milked all the profit from it. The only reason not to do that is to try avoid upsetting previous customers, but if they are willing to go from $9K to $2K, that is probably not a consideration at this point. Also, nobody is gaming(software) complains about the game costing $20 while 2 years before it was $70. By removing the 60 as an option for new orders, this leaves a fixed number of possible customers for the upgrade, so it actually makes more sense to use the gradual price lowering strategy to max out profit from this as it doesn't affect any new sales. Raising the price just means nobody else would buy it (if they didn't buy at $2K, why would they buy it at $6,500?). I know this may upset some people, but welcome to software marketing.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Oh, forgot to mention, I bought PUP solely for the power liftgate, but still am not going to complain - I got what I agreed to pay for on this car.

This i don't mind as much - there were extras. It's always been one price. It's one part of that "package" they've moved down a grade.
But the constant switching colours, models, options, price multiple times a year - or multiple times in a week!!!
I'd at least expect some stabiliity now until Model 3 launch. Though if the Model 3 has a solar-charging semi-transparent glass roof like them solar tiles (where you tilt the angle and see the cells) as an option be GUARANTEED it's going to appear on the S and X before or at the same time as the 3, not after! Elon's always said that the 3 will never get anything before the S/X.

This i don't mind as much - there were extras. It's always been one price. It's one part of that "package" they've moved down a grade.
But the constant switching colours, models, options, price multiple times a year - or multiple times in a week!!!
I'd at least expect some stabiliity now until Model 3 launch. Though if the Model 3 has a solar-charging semi-transparent glass roof like them solar tiles (where you tilt the angle and see the cells) as an option be GUARANTEED it's going to appear on the S and X before or at the same time as the 3, not after! Elon's always said that the 3 will never get anything before the S/X.
Yea, but getting upset doesn't help me, so why bother. Besides PUP, I also paid $1,500 for pearl white even though I would have much preferred solid white like I had on the first 2 Teslas and pearl white parked next to solid white does look dirty sometimes as it reflects the brown wall color - see picture in this post. But I choose to look at the positive, their pearl white is the whitest of all other ones I've seen. Bottom line, I knew what I was paying for, and I got it (except for auto-wipers which are still not here). Now, the only thing I cannot decide is whether I should be happy or sad that they didn't lower the 60->75 upgrade price to $500, because if they did, I would have bought it, even though I don't think I really need it. ;)

Last edited:
I just spoke to my local SC. They stated that so many customers are taking advantage of the upgrade that the "75D" badge is not in stock and has to be ordered. They also informed my that the badge swap only takes 10 to 15 minutes. I won't need an appointment they will just call me when the badge arrives so I can stop in for the swap to occur.

Charging the top end of a battery is very slow. Imagine filling up a bucket with the restriction you can't overflow it. When it's empty or half full you'll turn on the hose at full blast. However, as you get closer to the top, you'll turn the water pressure down so it doesn't spill. At the very top you'll drip the water into the bucket to fill it completely.

Back when I had my Nissan Leaf I would occasionally wait on someone at the L3 charger who would be waiting the full 30 minutes of Nissan's free charging to get the last percentage of charge, even though they didn't need it. On Superchargers you should use enough to get to the next Supercharger or your final charging location (plus a buffer obviously). Of course there are times you will need that top end, but probably not most of the time.

The braking will feel different at 100% since you're using the brake pads without regen braking (since there is no battery to regen at that point).
I got the $2k upgrade yesterday and charged to 100% to check max range. Looking at Remote S app, I noticed that the current draw decreased dramatically as the battery got near 100%. I was using a 40A Tesla wall charger at work and at 99% charge, the current was down to about 15A. The first few miles driving at 100% (real 100%, not s/w limited 100%) charge was very strange since there was no regen; had to use the brakes a lot more. Also Googled the dotted yellow lines on the power meter since I've never seen that before (this is my first EV).

Did my upgrade. It was done before I got out to the garage to check :)
How do I get buy the upgrade? I am kind of new, I got my S60D Dec 29. So I am now interested in the upgrade to 75. My question is how to arrange to get it. I called service center and was told could only get the upgrade through My Tesla page if eligible. But my account only shows I can buy the Full Self driving, which I also did not pay for when I bought the car. I know my car is eligible because my car was originally a 75D and was downgraded to 60D. I know because it has the 75D badge on the trunk. I really am excited to get the upgrade, we plan a 5,000 mile trip in early May.

totally agree....shafted is right....tesla koolaid drinkers think 2k is a deal...it was overpriced to begin with and still is...it could be $500 like going from a 70-75...sick of teslas numbers games.

Try not to be condescending and insulting when trying to justify why you don't want to do the $2k upgrade instead of telling everyone else here that did it they made a horrible mistake. I did several calculators on evtripplanner and a better routeplanner and upgrading my car will shorten a few 1000+ mile trips by 2-3 hours one way, which when you're driving for 33-34 hours seems worth it to me. But maybe that's just me.

Or maybe some people want to balance charge their battery every couple months by charging it to 100%, who knows? The price of goods/services isn't a fixed number and always changes in basically every industry (food/gas/cell phones/tvs). I bought a 4K tv 4 months ago that is $300 cheaper today. Oh well.

How do I get buy the upgrade? I am kind of new, I got my S60D Dec 29. So I am now interested in the upgrade to 75. My question is how to arrange to get it. I called service center and was told could only get the upgrade through My Tesla page if eligible. But my account only shows I can buy the Full Self driving, which I also did not pay for when I bought the car. I know my car is eligible because my car was originally a 75D and was downgraded to 60D. I know because it has the 75D badge on the trunk. I really am excited to get the upgrade, we plan a 5,000 mile trip in early May.

It showed up on the My Tesla page. It already had my CC info from when I purchased the car. It was done in a few minutes. If it doesn't show on yours give them a call, I'm sure they can help you out. At least you are already badged :)