Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

60% Daily Charge

ratsbew

Mar 3, 2012
O'Fallon, IL
We're picking up a new Y for my wife soon. Our plan is to daily charge to 60% always since her commute is very short. I'm hoping to collect data on a VERY gently cycled battery pack...no supercharging and very gentle cycling. Hopefully it doesn't throw the calibration too far out of whack.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
You can charge to only 60% daily if you want; any charge level up to 80% daily is probably no worse for the long term health of th battery. A few times per year you should charge to above 94% so that the Tesla battery management system can properly calibrate the upper range of the battery. Also, set Sentry Mode (also Summon/Smart Summon if you have purchased FSD) to not be active when parked at your home location. Sentry mode will use more power, drain the 12V battery faster. This in turn will use more power from the battery pack and require more frequent charging.

Just as important, when Sentry mode is left always active this will prevent the Tesla vehicle from shutting down, entering sleep mode where the high voltage battery pack is disconnected from the vehicle. The Tesla battery management system needs the Tesla vehicle to periodically enter sleep mode to be able to measure the open cell voltage (OCV) within the battery pack. The OCV can only be measured when the battery pack is disconnected from the rest of the Tesla vehicle as in sleep mode.

The down side of not having a properly calibrated battery management system is that the Tesla vehicle could shut down prematurely while driving if the battery management system determines that the remaining charge in the battery pack is too low (when it isn't actually too low) to continue driving.

NCC81701

Feb 28, 2020
San Diego
We're picking up a new Y for my wife soon. Our plan is to daily charge to 60% always since her commute is very short. I'm hoping to collect data on a VERY gently cycled battery pack...no supercharging and very gentle cycling. Hopefully it doesn't throw the calibration too far out of whack.

You should look into using Teslamate or Teslafi to help you collect data. The amount of data you can get from a Tesla is head exploding.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC