Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

65 kW super charging at 80 rated miles. Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posting on my phone sorry if the format is weird. Think it's s bit slower than I'd expect, especially since this is not the first time it happened. What concerns me is that right when it begins to charge, a warning message appears for a split second that says something like "unable to charge, close port press brake pedal and try again"..

Attachments

• IMG_20170202_192036.jpg
    IMG_20170202_192036.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 97
Posting on my phone sorry if the format is weird. Think it's s bit slower than I'd expect, especially since this is not the first time it happened. What concerns me is that right when it begins to charge, a warning message appears for a split second that says something like "unable to charge, close port press brake pedal and try again"..

Not normal, no. Unless you are using CA Superchargers, then yes 60kW is unfortunately common even at low state of charge.

You beat me to it,

@OP, in all seriousness, you should contact Tesla's roadside assistance, they will be able to look this up in real time, have you try a couple of things and know to investigate/fix it.

Last time I called them, the guy at the other end said he couldn't see anything abnormal and asked me to book a service appointment, so I didn't bother this time. It later picked up to maybe 78-80kw before going down again (higher SOC i assume?). If it is really that abnormal I will call them again next time, and maybe set up an appointment.

How many kws are you guys getting at around this SOC?

Superchargers super-slow

That link goes to a thread discussing this very topic. There are many variables that go into the charge rate. Your battery is now low enough to get max charge rate for one and it depends on if the battery was warm at the time (it can take a hour or more at constant highway speeds in cold weather 40's or less). Those are the two big ones but there are even more variables than that. Read the thread I linked above for more extensive information.

37F and 4 miles/6 minutes for the last trip.

Unless you'd just gotten out of the car for a couple minutes after driving a lot further, you've got a cold battery pack, in which case that charge rate is perfectly normal and better than some folks saw.

Battery witll only charge at about 80 mph cold. It will increase as it charges - charging warms the battery fairly quickly.
I get 300 mph charging after 1 hr on hwy at same station.

Drive for a hour and then charge. You should see a big difference

Thanks guys. Cold battery makes sense, as I only drive for about 10 minutes before I started to charge.
Currently I'm at another super charger after about an hour of drive. SOC is at 140 miles, outside Temp 28 F and I'm getting 300mph charge although only 80 kWh. I thought we see supposed to get close to 120kwh? Picture soon.