Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 Perpendicular Parking Video and Comments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just finished to park my car in angled parking spot using aulo perpendicular park feature. It works very well I can tell. Does anyone try it? Thanks Tesla team.

I also just read model s owner's manual on page 80. It said Autopark does not operate on angled parking spaces. Hum.. how I could done it.

Last edited:
Ha. I have the same problem. I found a perfect spot for parallel today and did everything right that I did the only time I've seen the P, and nothing. Thank goodness I'm good at parking anyway. But then today, on a spot of road with no parking available anywhere while I was stopped at a light in the left hand lane and a median to my left, the P came up!

Around here, if one drives past an available parallel parking spot, nobody expects you to stop for a bit and then attempt to back into the space that you passed. And, it is most likely that somebody else has already swung out wide and is turning toward the back of your car to park headfirst in the spot that you apparently did not want. Seems like an accident waiting to happen as your car begins to reverse. Also, most public parking is diagonal around here, although many business parking lots have parallel parking spaces, but some discourage or prohibit backing in. Also, many spaces do not have sufficient space to allow driving past them. However, I might be able to find a spot in the local Kaiser medical offices parking lot. One needs to carefully avoid parking next to objects that "stick out", that the sonar sensors are unlikely to "see". One does not want skewered Tesla.Thanks for the input.

I just finished to park my car in angled parking spot using aulo perpendicular park feature. It works very well I can tell. Does anyone try it? Thanks Tesla team.

I also just read model s owner's manual on page 80. It said Autopark does not operate on angled parking spaces. Hum.. how I could done it.
Interesting.
Any idea of the angle of the parking spot? They can be 60, 75, etc. Perhaps this was not a very highly angled spot.

Drove around a parking lot with open spaces for about 10 min. Have yet to EVER see the AutoPark indicator. Both for parallel and perpendicular. I don't think it exists. Just an elaborate hoax.

There must be some technique that I'm missing. I live in a condo that has perpendicular spots. Only 20% maybe less of my attempts, do I see the "P". I wish the car would learn its parking spot or learn to look for its spot.

Any ideas for those of us that are fustrated with this feature? Eg. What speed works best? How far from the parked cars do you drive behind? 3' or less?

thank you!

it does work on the left side as well..

1. has anyone tried getting the P, and then getting out of the car and having it park on its own?
We did a perp park yesterday and it was going fine. We were half way in when my wife realised she would not be able to get out, so I braked (which you're allowed to do) to let her out; when she opened her door, Autopark aborted.

2. i find it almost as easy just to perpendicular park the car myself since the backup camera is so badass.
Autopark does not use the camera.

Wonderful video. Thanks. I seem to be having trouble getting my Tesla to recognize an empty perpendicular space. Sometimes it does, but often I can drive by one, even at a very slow crawl and not get recognition. Anybody else have this happen?

There must be some technique that I'm missing. I live in a condo that has perpendicular spots. Only 20% maybe less of my attempts, do I see the "P". I wish the car would learn its parking spot or learn to look for its spot.

Any ideas for those of us that are fustrated with this feature? Eg. What speed works best? How far from the parked cars do you drive behind? 3' or less?

thank you!

Seems like I'm not the only one reaching out and asking for the majic technique to improve getting the P to display.

What speed
How far form parked cars/open space

thank you