Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 Perpendicular Parking Video and Comments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone tried this on diagonal parking spots?
These are not 90 angle but have a diagonal... maybe 60 degrees.
My guess is that the diagonal parking could possibly negotiate these spots since it would be able to sense the cars on both sides and navigate between them... OTOH, it might get confused.

Yeah, I tried a few times and the P didn't come up on angles. Maybe certain angles, but definitely not all. (The ones I tried were about 60 degrees.)

Yes, without the side cameras, stall parking does not work unless there are obstructions for the sensor to reference. I am of the same sentiment as yours.

Yeah. I was just thinking about this, I think that's why the path planning is so poor, it's not really sure where the other cars are. I could get into and straighten into a spot basically only by reversing, autopark needs to do a 3 point "turn".

Although the alternative is the path algorithm was programmed by someone who isn't good at driving, and that's what they need to do to park.

Yep, from my experience it doesn't see lines. It can only park in the median between the two parked cars. So two vehicles on each side with a large enough space in between is required for perpendicular autopark to work.
1. What happens if you try to use it in a slot that has a car on one side and a pillar on the other, I wonder.

2. If that works, and since your car knows when to stop by aligning its back end with those of the cars on either side, does it stop if the slot on the other side of the pillar is empty and it therefore has only 1 car to align its back end with?

3. If the cars on either side are not aligned with each other, which does yours use as a reference? Might it be left sticking out because it's longer than the further-out of the reference cars?

4. If the back of the slot is something solid, does the car stop a certain distance from it or does it align itself with the others - even if one of them has its bumper against the solid object (not good!).

1. What happens if you try to use it in a slot that has a car on one side and a pillar on the other, I wonder.

2. If that works, and since your car knows when to stop by aligning its back end with those of the cars on either side, does it stop if the slot on the other side of the pillar is empty and it therefore has only 1 car to align its back end with?

3. If the cars on either side are not aligned with each other, which does yours use as a reference? Might it be left sticking out because it's longer than the further-out of the reference cars?

4. If the back of the slot is something solid, does the car stop a certain distance from it or does it align itself with the others - even if one of them has its bumper against the solid object (not good!).

Good questions. I'd take a reading of both the front and the rear of the reference cars, then dynamically select either the front or rear reference point based on which pair is aligned more closely, then average their distances. This would allow for two cars of different sizes to be used for reference. Of course, if there's another car or obstruction at the end of the spot, it's even easier to determine how far to pull in.

it does work on the left side as well..

1. has anyone tried getting the P, and then getting out of the car and having it park on its own?

2. i find it almost as easy just to perpendicular park the car myself since the backup camera is so badass.

Tried out the new perpendicular autopark, but it takes too darn long. Usually has to do it in 2 steps, and sometimes it gets "stuck" (when it goes into drive, but won't go back into reverse). Until it gets faster, I think I'll just do it myself.

It is a cool crowd pleaser though.

I suck at parking and it does it way faster than me. Also, it's nice to use summons to pull the car out of a a parking lot space to clear the doors of the cars next to it.

- - - Updated - - -

Because you're amortizing the drag force over a larger distance. It's exactly the same amount of wear on the tire.

Same amount of wear and tear on the tires, but not the same same amount of stress on the linkage. You could remove the linkage all together and the attempt to drive the vehicle forward will straighten the wheels without any power steering or steering input.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Same amount of wear and tear on the tires, but not the same same amount of stress on the linkage. You could remove the linkage all together and the attempt to drive the vehicle forward will straighten the wheels without any power steering or steering input.

Those parts don't fail from wear. They only fail from damaged boots letting dirt in.