Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7 months later [review after 7 months ownership]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, it's been 7 months since I took delivery. Here's what I think. Still love my MYLR with white interior, just doesn't get old. Driving wise, I don't see any difference between the MY and my Honda Pilot. They're both smooth on the highway with no rattles and very minimal wind noise. I was going to get AB but 4.8 sec 0-60 is plenty fast, I'm not racing the car so I don't see the point of spending another $2k just to get 0.6 sec faster, very few SUV's can go 4.8 sec 0-60 and most of them are in the 6-figure range. Turning radius is horrible, just as bad as my Viper. Suspension is not, I don't know about the MYP though. Overall, it's an 8.5/10 for me.

Reactions: yellowr6
Six months into mine. Things I love:

1. Driving dynamics. It's just fun to drive.
2. The user interface/interior. I love the minimalism and don't miss buttons at all. The controls on the steering wheel are great and I have no problem adjusting the AC or seeing how fast I'm going. I just feel good being in this car and don't need more screens or buttons.
3. The sound system. I'm not an audiophile but almost everyone that drives in my car comments on it being nice.
4. Phone as key. Love it way more than I thought I would.
5. Reliability. Knock on wood, the car has been perfect so far.
6. Being able to warm the car up in the winter remotely. Amazing in Wisconsin.
7. Lots of other little things that I'm forgetting.

Things I don't love;

1. suspension acoustics. There's just something very unpleasant about the noise it makes going over bumps or road imperfections. I think, comfort-wise, the suspension is fine but the noise is so jarring going over bumps that it's makes the ride quality seem cheap. This is obviously very subjective as people hear things differently, but it's not a small issue for me.
2. Driver assistance stuff . The parking sensors are crap. I don't care too much about this though as honestly most parking sensors are more annoying than helpful (exception Hyundai's which is really really good). No 360 view. No cross traffic alert. Auto-pilot and the self-driving functionality is disappointing. I think my wife's ID.4 has more practical and useful "self-driving" tech that I trust more. In reality I don't need these features too much so not a big deal and I'm hopeful it will improve over time (though not super hopeful as I think it's just a flaw with the current camera set up).

In the end, if it wasn't for the suspension acoustics this would be a solid 9/10 car me but with the sound issues I go from loving the car to thinking about getting a different one depending on my mood and the roads I'm on and if I'm driving with the windows open or closed.

Reactions: slvervper99
Well, it's been 7 months since I took delivery. Here's what I think. Still love my MYLR with white interior, just doesn't get old. Driving wise, I don't see any difference between the MY and my Honda Pilot. They're both smooth on the highway with no rattles and very minimal wind noise. I was going to get AB but 4.8 sec 0-60 is plenty fast, I'm not racing the car so I don't see the point of spending another $2k just to get 0.6 sec faster, very few SUV's can go 4.8 sec 0-60 and most of them are in the 6-figure range. Turning radius is horrible, just as bad as my Viper. Suspension is not, I don't know about the MYP though. Overall, it's an 8.5/10 for me.
MYP here. 2023 and have had 8 months
9.5 here, saving 10 for a flying car
OTA keeps making the experience better and better

Six months into mine. Things I love:

1. Driving dynamics. It's just fun to drive.
2. The user interface/interior. I love the minimalism and don't miss buttons at all. The controls on the steering wheel are great and I have no problem adjusting the AC or seeing how fast I'm going. I just feel good being in this car and don't need more screens or buttons.
3. The sound system. I'm not an audiophile but almost everyone that drives in my car comments on it being nice.
4. Phone as key. Love it way more than I thought I would.
5. Reliability. Knock on wood, the car has been perfect so far.
6. Being able to warm the car up in the winter remotely. Amazing in Wisconsin.
7. Lots of other little things that I'm forgetting.

Things I don't love;

1. suspension acoustics. There's just something very unpleasant about the noise it makes going over bumps or road imperfections. I think, comfort-wise, the suspension is fine but the noise is so jarring going over bumps that it's makes the ride quality seem cheap. This is obviously very subjective as people hear things differently, but it's not a small issue for me.
2. Driver assistance stuff . The parking sensors are crap. I don't care too much about this though as honestly most parking sensors are more annoying than helpful (exception Hyundai's which is really really good). No 360 view. No cross traffic alert. Auto-pilot and the self-driving functionality is disappointing. I think my wife's ID.4 has more practical and useful "self-driving" tech that I trust more. In reality I don't need these features too much so not a big deal and I'm hopeful it will improve over time (though not super hopeful as I think it's just a flaw with the current camera set up).

In the end, if it wasn't for the suspension acoustics this would be a solid 9/10 car me but with the sound issues I go from loving the car to thinking about getting a different one depending on my mood and the roads I'm on and if I'm driving with the windows open or closed.
What’s your number?

It would be interesting to determine your "miles per kWh" consumption,
looking at your Supercharger history, if you don't have an energy usage App such as Tessie.
In all honesty, I care very little about this. I don't think people realize that if you have a lead foot, you consume more gas/fuel, same with EV, you also consume more electricity Only difference is, a lot of EV drivers are more conscious because consumption information is more readily available compared to ICE vehicle in which you have to physically compute your travel distance with your fuel consumption (I know some cars esp Hondas) give you an estimated mpg use in their cars but even that is not entirely accurate once you compute the total. 😁

Also, after driving to Canada and back I have decided ICE vehicle (for longer travel) is better due to the nature of the number of stops we need to make to charge the car; not saying that long distance driving is not suitable to the any Tesla or EV cars. It just adds additional time to your total travel time. Toronto is about 500 miles from our house in Illinois and usually takes 7.5 - 8 hrs with my ICE cars. With our Model Y it took us 10 hrs just because of charging stops. An additional 2 hrs on our travel is just not acceptable for me even though it only takes about 20 mins to charge and we're back on the road. However, if it is a 300 mile distance, any Tesla vehicle or any EV vehicle for that matter will be just as good as any ICE cars (travel time wise). But I definitely love the idea of not having to stop by for gas every week when going around town, working, or just cruising.

Also, after driving to Canada and back I have decided ICE vehicle (for longer travel) is better due to the nature of the number of stops we need to make to charge the car; not saying that long distance driving is not suitable to the any Tesla or EV cars. It just adds additional time to your total travel time. Toronto is about 500 miles from our house in Illinois and usually takes 7.5 - 8 hrs with my ICE cars. With our Model Y it took us 10 hrs just because of charging stops. An additional 2 hrs on our travel is just not acceptable for me even though it only takes about 20 mins to charge and we're back on the road. However, if it is a 300 mile distance, any Tesla vehicle or any EV vehicle for that matter will be just as good as any ICE cars (travel time wise). But I definitely love the idea of not having to stop by for gas every week when going around town, working, or just cruising.
How can you add 2 hours of driving time on a simple 500 mile drive.

If you start off with a "full tank" i would think 2 charging stops would be enough to get to your destination, and 2 * 20 minutes is nowhere near 2 hours.

We just did a 2500 miles roundtrip to Italy and home again for out holiday in our MYLR.

We had 6 stops between our home and the campsite we visited in Italy and as we charged when on pee breaks or when getting food whenever possible, we only really had 2-3 stops each direction, where we stopped only to charge.

Sorry but your math makes little sense to me, if you claim an extra 2 hours, you would have had to do 6 charging stops..

Were you towing a heavy trailer to have to stop and charge 6 times in 500 miles ?

How can you add 2 hours of driving time on a simple 500 mile drive.

If you start off with a "full tank" i would think 2 charging stops would be enough to get to your destination, and 2 * 20 minutes is nowhere near 2 hours.

We just did a 2500 miles roundtrip to Italy and home again for out holiday in our MYLR.

We had 6 stops between our home and the campsite we visited in Italy and as we charged when on pee breaks or when getting food whenever possible, we only really had 2-3 stops each direction, where we stopped only to charge.

Sorry but your math makes little sense to me, if you claim an extra 2 hours, you would have had to do 6 charging stops..

Were you towing a heavy trailer to have to stop and charge 6 times in 500 miles ?
So here's what happened and it's my fault, I should've been more clear. We used the trip planner both Tesla trip planner and other website trip planners. Both Tesla and other website trip planner gave us 4 - 5 stops each stop ranging from 15 mins charge to about 30 mins. Let's just say an average of 20 mins x 4 stops is about 1 hr 20 mins, not to mention our regular stops in between for pee brake and snacks because out of the 4 listed on our trip planners only 1 is close to a Meijer supermarket, the rest are either near a convention center (with no fast food/convenient store around) or it may be close to a fast food chain but we still have to drive another 2 miles to get to said fast food chain. And every charge, it only fast charge the car to about 80% then it slows down so getting it to 100% will make our charging time from 20 mins to about 45 mins each charge which if we did decide to do 100% then it'll be 45 mins x2 will still be about 1 1/2 hr. So hopefully this explains my math.

I recently took the trip to Philly from Stafford, VA.

Started with full charge, 190 miles, took me 3.5 hrs to get there with no stop for charging, and left me on my destination with about approx 25-30%. My mistake was not to charge 100% at supercharger before I started my trip back.
It suggested to take 1 stops to charge about 60% and second stop to charge 15% to get home with 5% left.

Total time it took me to get home was around 5 hours.

Charging stops ALWAYS take longer when you have passengers with individual needs. I agree, SuperCharger placement complicates the travel needs, which adds time.

Solo? I travel with a well-stocked cooler, minimizing charging stop times. I stop only for charging and a pee stop. My solo trip times, with the Tesla MY, are very close to my ICE trips.

Traveling with my 21 year old daughter, or my wife? Insisting on a "sit down" meal near a SuperCharger complicates things.

Trip planning is different, for sure.

I recently took the trip to Philly from Stafford, VA.

Started with full charge, 190 miles, took me 3.5 hrs to get there with no stop for charging, and left me on my destination with about approx 25-30%. My mistake was not to charge 100% at supercharger before I started my trip back.
It suggested to take 1 stops to charge about 60% and second stop to charge 15% to get home with 5% left.

Total time it took me to get home was around 5 hours.
This is what I mean. And I'm never alone in the car because I always have family with me so the ad ded weight doesn't help. I think until charging times gets much faster than current Superchargers and they become much more readily accessible, ICE vehicle travel times will be shorter compared to EV cars at least for longer distances. Or at least when EV mileages increase with more efficient batteries. This is no way a stab at EV's like I said, I love my MYLR. Can't find any small SUV that can do 0-60 in less than 5 ticks, let alone in that MY price range.

This is what I mean. And I'm never alone in the car because I always have family with me so the ad ded weight doesn't help. I think until charging times gets much faster than current Superchargers and they become much more readily accessible, ICE vehicle travel times will be shorter compared to EV cars at least for longer distances. Or at least when EV mileages increase with more efficient batteries. This is no way a stab at EV's like I said, I love my MYLR. Can't find any small SUV that can do 0-60 in less than 5 ticks, let alone in that MY price range.
Agreed, if you are doing a cannon ball run with a 15 gallon tank in a Toyota Camry at 39 Highway mpg, 585 mile range and you can hold for the bathroom, this ICE vehicle will travel distances father and faster due to no stops.

Only a $140K EV could come close.
1692387548829.png

But for the majority of us EV owners, it’s not about the time for the travel, but for the many benefits of owning and using an EV.

The earth is dying due to ICE use.

kpand17: "The earth is dying due to ICE use."

That's a bit extreme. The earth is dying because of our dependence, especially in the US, on automobile use. 85% or more of the energy required to move an auto down the road is moving the auto, not the human inside.

The earth is dying because of 100s of thousands of miles of air travel daily by earthlings, with probably the majority of said travel being self-indulgent.

We're all guilty on so many levels.