Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seat config waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone suggested to use your current insurance with your current vehicle VIN and update the VIN later do you can complete this phase. You can also ask your SA. I think the important part is that you current have insurance and can insure the new vehicle. Best wishes.

Presumably, this is the position that all those ordering in the U.S., except for those in the 12 states listed, are in (see below), from the manage order page.

If you need to show insurance proof before you can get a VIN, you're in a catch-22! You can't get relevant insurance until you have a VIN.

My SA told me (but this is a few weeks ago, I plan to go back and check again), that it wasn't necessary to have proof of insurance because they know you can't provide it until they give you a VIN.

For what it's worth, the spreadsheet shows that 7 VINs (of 72) have been issued. The recipients are in Ontario, Oklahoma, Texas, New Jersey (2), Nevada and Arizona. All but Arizona aren't on the list (and one is in Canada), so unless these folks have been uploading their current insurance (not referencing the VIN to come), there shouldn't be an issue.
  • Arizona
  • California
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Indiana
  • Maryland
  • Minnesota
  • Ohio
  • Oregon
  • Tennessee
  • Virginia
  • Washington

Strange update on my order page... I checked my account first thing this morning (like always!) and it changed from a current ETA: 2/17/21 - 3/9/21 to an ETA of 2/11/21 - 2/12/21, which we all know is complete BS.....

I did want to throw in that on the day I ordered, I added my current insurance on my ford explorer and a couple hours later is the first time my ETA showed up. It has changed three times since then including todays weirdness. Still no VIN. Hope the insurance things helps some of you but having an ETA, as you can see, doesnt really mean much either. I did a loan through my employer so I was able to select cash instead of loan. So, in their eyes, I should appear to have all my i's dotted and t's crossed.

Reactions: Jemblue7my
Strange update on my order page... I checked my account first thing this morning (like always!) and it changed from a current ETA: 2/17/21 - 3/9/21 to an ETA of 2/11/21 - 2/12/21, which we all know is complete BS.....

I did want to throw in that on the day I ordered, I added my current insurance on my ford explorer and a couple hours later is the first time my ETA showed up. It has changed three times since then including todays weirdness. Still no VIN. Hope the insurance things helps some of you but having an ETA, as you can see, doesnt really mean much either. I did a loan through my employer so I was able to select cash instead of loan. So, in their eyes, I should appear to have all my i's dotted and t's crossed.

mine still shows Estimated Delivery: February 11 - February 12 - however no VIN and SA MIA - taking estimate with grain of Salt lol
MY/Blue/LR AWD/Black interior/7 seat/tow/19" wheels

• Funny
Reactions: mcmcn
Ordered on 1/7, all tasks completed by 1/8, date had been showing by Feb 12th (6 weeks), and last couple days it showed Feb 16th - March 08, but today it showed Feb 17th to March 09th...I am wondering if the rolling lead number will just keep moving about 6 days from the current date and adding a day. Since, not a ton of people getting VINs, expecting at least March...live in Midwest FWIW

With the news that congress has introduced new legislation possibly bringing back the tax credit for Tesla buyers, is anyone planning on delaying delivery? Are we allowed to do that?

I think you can ask to have your delivery delayed, but I'm not going to wait on congress to get anything done. There's a snowball's chance in hell for this to get passed within the next 4 years assuming the filibuster is gone, let alone have it past in a year or less for this to affect my decision on taking delivery of the car.

Reactions: PJMY
I think you can ask to have your delivery delayed, but I'm not going to wait on congress to get anything done. There's a snowball's chance in hell for this to get passed within the next 4 years assuming the filibuster is gone, let alone have it past in a year or less for this to affect my decision on taking delivery of the car.
I've noticed tesla changing estimated date then giving vins shortly after. Maybe this is a good thing. May Lord Elon bless you!

• Funny
Reactions: mcmcn
With the news that congress has introduced new legislation possibly bringing back the tax credit for Tesla buyers, is anyone planning on delaying delivery? Are we allowed to do that?

Thanks to all who have posted. Glad to know I’m not the only one who refreshes the Tesla order screen multiple times a day in hopes SOMETHING will have changed.

Regarding the potential future tax incentives, it’s my understanding they would be applicable by year. Wouldn’t any EV purchased in 2021 qualify if a credit was Re-introduced this year?

Thanks to all who have posted. Glad to know I’m not the only one who refreshes the Tesla order screen multiple times a day in hopes SOMETHING will have changed.

Regarding the potential future tax incentives, it’s my understanding they would be applicable by year. Wouldn’t any EV purchased in 2021 qualify if a credit was Re-introduced this year?

the current bill language is that it won’t be retroactive. Since the date of passage/final language isn’t clear right now, it’s a dilemma for current buyers. Hopefully it will be clearer soon.

aaaand.... my estimated delivery date of feb 15 - march 7 has disappeared from my account. so that means a VIN and new date is coming soon right? o_O

my sales advisor just called me and said that I should get my vin March 1st and take delivery march 7th. "If things continue to go well at the factory It may happen sooner"

I am satisfied with that update for now :)

Reactions: Jemblue7my