Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7-seat config waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a ton of factors and it's logistically pretty difficult. A normal automaker essentially makes what they want (config-wise) and ships them to dealers. Customers then go to the dealer and choose from what's on the lot.

For Tesla, they're building different configs in exterior color-based batches which they then have to ship to different locations in different ways (trucks, trains, ships). Add to that a person's order date and likely other factors (how many of the steps they've completed), plus weather, personnel, delivery issues/preferences from customers, and probably many other factors we don't know about and you've got a relatively complicated logistics challenge.
Hi Dss33. Exactly, which is why they should have a customers care team with unassigned reserved cars set aside for many possible errors to help and also for super VIP customers to deal with many challenges. Many other companies even with less challenges also do this. Thanks.

Hi Dss33. Exactly, which is why they should have a customers care team with unassigned reserved cars set aside for many possible errors to help and also for super VIP customers to deal with many challenges. Many other companies even with less challenges also do this. Thanks.

That complicates things even further. They're already selling every car they make. Major issues with deliveries are the exception, not the rule. They should focus on fixing the issues instead of creating a separate queue of cars. The best process is no process. A little patience goes a long way :)

UPDATE ON MY DELIVERY

I know y'all have been waiting for an update on how the car arrived. Like I stated earlier -- old headlights and console (which is fine). I didn't have a strong preference. The car was immaculate. Delivery was super easy. I combed through the car inside and out and only found a few TINY things:
  1. The panel pin holding the passenger side front tire well on was "pushed out". I think the hole was slightly misaligned. I took the pin out, drove home, and was able to get it in properly at home. I think the pin might need to be replaced because it doesn't want to click all the way in place and lock. I'll deal with that when the mudflaps arrive.
  2. The frunk has good gaps all around...within 1mm or so. The frunk does sit maybe 1mm higher than the bumper. I'm sure that could be adjusted with the rubber stopper underneath. I MIGHT make a service appointment for it. I MIGHT not.
  3. The rear hatch glass does sit about 1mm closer to the driver's side than the passenger side. This is probably the worst thing about the car. At the end of the day, as long as it doesn't cause problems, I'm going to leave it as is.
  4. I noticed the reported "ear pressure" pain during driving. It's not terrible, but it is definitely noticeable. I'll have to read up on that other thread discussing the topic. Definitely not a deal breaker but might require some research on my part.
Everything else with the car is amazing. I'm beyond excited!

I'll post pictures later...when it's not 28 degrees!!

UPDATE ON MY DELIVERY

I know y'all have been waiting for an update on how the car arrived. Like I stated earlier -- old headlights and console (which is fine). I didn't have a strong preference. The car was immaculate. Delivery was super easy. I combed through the car inside and out and only found a few TINY things:
  1. The panel pin holding the passenger side front tire well on was "pushed out". I think the hole was slightly misaligned. I took the pin out, drove home, and was able to get it in properly at home. I think the pin might need to be replaced because it doesn't want to click all the way in place and lock. I'll deal with that when the mudflaps arrive.
  2. The frunk has good gaps all around...within 1mm or so. The frunk does sit maybe 1mm higher than the bumper. I'm sure that could be adjusted with the rubber stopper underneath. I MIGHT make a service appointment for it. I MIGHT not.
  3. The rear hatch glass does sit about 1mm closer to the driver's side than the passenger side. This is probably the worst thing about the car. At the end of the day, as long as it doesn't cause problems, I'm going to leave it as is.
  4. I noticed the reported "ear pressure" pain during driving. It's not terrible, but it is definitely noticeable. I'll have to read up on that other thread discussing the topic. Definitely not a deal breaker but might require some research on my part.
Everything else with the car is amazing. I'm beyond excited!

I'll post pictures later...when it's not 28 degrees!!

thank you for posting update - enjoy your new ride :)

Scheduled a pickup date! 2/27! Springfield, NJ. They offered “no contact” delivery but I decided against it. VIN 112xxx

I know the VINs are not sequential, but this seems like a low number.

They want final payment now, but I’m waiting until I get there in case there are issues. Any recommendations on this? Anyone do different? It’s is a Tesla originated loan thru JP Morgan.
I didn’t pay till I inspected it. This is a business transaction. It’s fine.

I’m in the exact same situation as you! I ordered in 2019 and still don’t have a delivery date range or VIN. I have approved financing shown in the details section but mine doesn’t have the payment box checked off. I was figuring I was waiting for a vin so I could pay the last amount due and down payment via ACH. My SA assures that everything looks in order to be assigned a VIN but why don’t I see an estimated date range then?

I ordered the day the Y was unveiled but still don't have a VIN or delivery date range. My SA is out of Salt Lake City and he responds slowly to texts so he's mildly helpful. He says we are waiting for VIN and will let me know when there is an update but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something. I'm curious if not having a check box in the payment area on my overview is keeping me from getting a VIN? I originally was going to pay cash, then I was going to use Tesla financing (Wells Fargo), then I got my local credit union to beat Wells Fargo's deal so I'm using my own financing. My SA knows all this and the payment details are correct when I look at the details.