Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70 Degree Weather and the HVAC Effect on Wh/m

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently here in Connecticut, the really hot and humid weather has broken and we have had about a week of nice dry weather with AM temps in the high 60's to 70's.

Now, every AM, I take a trip in the S to the gym and then go for breakfast. Normally this 12 mile trip at 35 MPH consumes 320 Wh/m when the HVAC is on for cooling in Auto Mode with interior temp set at 72. Nothing scientific, just an observation.

This week, with the HVAC cooling off and perhaps only the driver's window down at times, that same round trip of 12 miles is about 280 Wh/m. What appears to be a savings of 40 Wh/m. Not much I grant you, but this gives me a sense of what overhead the cooling system has on charge and range.

This got me to thinking.... is there an "Optimal" running temperature for the Model S or X? I have Range Mode off in the summer months. I wonder if turning it on even in the Summer would improve the Wh/m. I know these short trips I normally make do take their toll in the cold of Winter.