Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70 or 85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the used Tesla market and dont care about range that much. For me I want to experience that rapid acceleration that Tesla is known for. I had only been looking at the 85D or better due to the quick 0-60 times, but I see the 70 isn't that far off. My question: Does the 70 or even the 60 offer the quick, instant acceleration that I am looking for? FYI currently driving a Civic and my Tesla rental of an 85D absolutely blew me away.

The 70 will still be faster accelerating than most any other cars on the market. I have a 70 and it is FAST.

I have owned a few "fast cars" and exotics and can tell you the 70 accelerates faster than most all of them. It's instant and throws you back.

My suggestion is none of the above... With the issues now present with 60, 70, & 85 packs on the latest firmware I would stick to purchasing 75, 75D, 90D, or 100D pack cars if you can swing it. Or at least be knowledgeable with what your getting into if you do buy one of the older packs.

Reactions: glide
My suggestion is none of the above... With the issues now present with 60, 70, & 85 packs on the latest firmware I would stick to purchasing 75, 75D, 90D, or 100D pack cars if you can swing it. Or at least be knowledgeable with what your getting into if you do buy one of the older packs.
This. Even considering a vehicle with an 85 pack right now is insanity.

Tesla should not even be offering them for sale if they had any corporate conscience.

Hey Glide, what issues with the old packs do you refer to?
Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software
"Battery-gate" and "charge-gate", as they're known on this forum.

In short, Tesla has intentionally software-limited both the overall capacity and DC fast-charging speed of 85 kWh packs. Most people agree that this is being done to "baby" these older battery packs to reduce Tesla's liability for having to replace them under warranty, after Tesla's internal data showed that these packs were being damaged by high charge status and high Supercharging speeds more than initially expected. So they have removed some of the initially promised and advertised specs of these battery packs to make them less likely to fail and require an expensive replacement under warranty.