TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

70 or 85D

Discussion in 'Tesla for Sale' started by Lex444, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Lex444

Lex444 Member

I am in the used Tesla market and dont care about range that much. For me I want to experience that rapid acceleration that Tesla is known for. I had only been looking at the 85D or better due to the quick 0-60 times, but I see the 70 isn't that far off. My question: Does the 70 or even the 60 offer the quick, instant acceleration that I am looking for? FYI currently driving a Civic and my Tesla rental of an 85D absolutely blew me away.

2. patrick40363

patrick40363 Active Member

Get the 85D. More range is always a good thing.

3. Lex444

Lex444 Member

Is the acceleration similar though?

4. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

85D is faster, 70 and 60 are much slower cars.

5. rocketshipp85

rocketshipp85 Member

The 85D and 70 aren’t very far off on a daily basis with acceleration as well as my 70 gets close to the same range as my 85D.

6. glide

glide Active Member

No. Have you seen the specs for each car? 0-60 times are listed.

7. josh3thayer

josh3thayer Member

The 70 will still be faster accelerating than most any other cars on the market. I have a 70 and it is FAST.

I have owned a few "fast cars" and exotics and can tell you the 70 accelerates faster than most all of them. It's instant and throws you back.

8. glhs272

glhs272 Unnamed plug faced villian

My suggestion is none of the above... With the issues now present with 60, 70, & 85 packs on the latest firmware I would stick to purchasing 75, 75D, 90D, or 100D pack cars if you can swing it. Or at least be knowledgeable with what your getting into if you do buy one of the older packs.

• Like x 1
  9. glide

glide Active Member

This. Even considering a vehicle with an 85 pack right now is insanity.

Tesla should not even be offering them for sale if they had any corporate conscience.

10. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Member

85D. 70 if the price difference is at least $6-7K

11. Oldschoola

Oldschoola Member

Hey Glide, what issues with the old packs do you refer to?

12. Rogue Synapse

Rogue Synapse Member

Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software
    "Battery-gate" and "charge-gate", as they're known on this forum.

In short, Tesla has intentionally software-limited both the overall capacity and DC fast-charging speed of 85 kWh packs. Most people agree that this is being done to "baby" these older battery packs to reduce Tesla's liability for having to replace them under warranty, after Tesla's internal data showed that these packs were being damaged by high charge status and high Supercharging speeds more than initially expected. So they have removed some of the initially promised and advertised specs of these battery packs to make them less likely to fail and require an expensive replacement under warranty.

13. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Frugal But Classy!

My old 2014 S60 had a listed 0-60 of 5.5 secs, which is still faster than most performance focused vehicles on the road. The "slowest" Tesla is still very quick.

14. Yoitskenn

Yoitskenn Member

I think the slowest is the 60D MX