Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D, 85, or 85D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just did that analysis myself and decided to go for the 70D. The extra pep in the 85/85D is really nice, but wasn't worth the extra $10K IMO. I would suspect that the RWD models will all be phased out shortly so I'd say you want to get an AWD version for resale. The same thing with the premium radio, nice but not worth the $2,500 price tag.

The cars are essentially the same as you probably won't take advantage of the delta range between the three. I wouldn't even consider the S85, dual motor for the win. The next question is... do you really care about performance? I do, so I would go with the 85D. It is as fast as a 2008 M3 sedan! The torque is most likely more than 100 ft-lb higher than the 70D as well. Once you test drive you will realize that punching it from 0-45 is amazing and probably a large percentage of your driving. I am sure its different for everyone, but that is how I am comparing the models at this point. We need Motor trend to do a comparison to finally end the guessing on HP and Torque!

Clarkbariowa, you're going to love this. I haven't even driven the 85D yet but I'm going to order one. I drove the 70D, plenty fast. I'll surprise myself with the 85D. Need to give up the premium audio or the SAS though . . .

Pick one: Premium Sound OR Smart Air Suspension

- - - Updated - - -

Just did that analysis myself and decided to go for the 70D. The extra pep in the 85/85D is really nice, but wasn't worth the extra $10K IMO. I would suspect that the RWD models will all be phased out shortly so I'd say you want to get an AWD version for resale. The same thing with the premium radio, nice but not worth the $2,500 price tag.

Thanks Hamilton. Going with the 85D but opting to install the premium audio myself afterwards for a lot less than the $2,500 pricetag.

Clarkbariowa, you're going to love this. I haven't even driven the 85D yet but I'm going to order one. I drove the 70D, plenty fast. I'll surprise myself with the 85D. Need to give up the premium audio or the SAS though . . .

Pick one: Premium Sound OR Smart Air Suspension

personally I'll give up on both premium audio and SAS.

SAS - unless you get 21" wheels, the ride is smooth enough with 19. I bet side by side you'd barely notice it. As far as clearing steep grades, SAS adds 0.8" - that's it.

Premium audio - this I don't understand. All we do is listen to lossy mp3s or Internet streaming audio anyway. I'm no audiophile but science tells me that no matter how good the speakers are, the original audio source being crappy is the issue.

Your choice :) .. But if it was my money, I'd get the center console, and spend rest of the saved money getting the car detailed every 6 months. Or I'm actively accepting donations to my tesla fund.

question though - why 85d?

personally I'll give up on both premium audio and SAS.

SAS - unless you get 21" wheels, the ride is smooth enough with 19. I bet side by side you'd barely notice it. As far as clearing steep grades, SAS adds 0.8" - that's it.

Premium audio - this I don't understand. All we do is listen to lossy mp3s or Internet streaming audio anyway. I'm no audiophile but science tells me that no matter how good the speakers are, the original audio source being crappy is the issue.

Your choice :) .. But if it was my money, I'd get the center console, and spend rest of the saved money getting the car detailed every 6 months. Or I'm actively accepting donations to my tesla fund.

question though - why 85d?

All my MP3's are 256 or 320 kbps and M4A so its sounds very pure, i only listen to music off a USB which has better quality over internet streaming and the radio so the premium sound will be great for me :smile:

All my MP3's are 256 or 320 kbps and M4A so its sounds very pure, i only listen to music off a USB which has better quality over internet streaming and the radio so the premium sound will be great for me :smile:

Im a little bit of a geek who actually understands the codec format and wrote parts of the w3amp (before winamp) as a kid. Doesn't matter what bitrate you use, it's still lossy. And going from 128kbps to 320kbps doesn't improve the quality 2x. The improvement is between 7 - 22% depending upon the audio. If you want good quality digital music, you need sacd, dvd audio, or flac format - which neither of the three are easily acquirable. Now if tesla played flac audio over USB, that'd really be something.

Lossless audio is amazing. Once you hear it, you realize what you've been missing. All these app stores, spotify etc have ruined quality music over convenience. But internet bandwidths are high and storage space is not an issue. I'm almost expect lossless audio music stores to be common place in a matter of couple of years.

Anyway, I'm sure the speakers are better. If you enjoy it, don't let me spoil it for you :)

I feel the 85D has the best of both worlds - range and performance. Plus I'm convinced it will charge faster at the SCs than the 70D.

Why D though - especially in FLat FL? That's a good question but you know the RWD is going away in the not so distant future. Also, I feel the OTAs will be geared towards improving the D models - by sleep torquing and other techniques that might be developed in the future.

Looking to the future, I'm also thinking the SAS might get additional features - like this geofencing that they added over the past year.

I could be convinced to give up the Premium Audio AND the SAS for the Cyclone (19") wheels though! :)

Buy a 70D, invest the 10K difference and pick-up a brand new 85kWH battery pack in about 5 years time of the proceeds of the investments....

Dutchie, the performance won't be there! My selection of the 85D isn't just for the bigger battery/range but ALSO for the performance. If I'm going to lose 1/2 of my frunk (ok, maybe just 1/3) then I might as well get a little more performance out of it!

I feel the 85D has the best of both worlds - range and performance. Plus I'm convinced it will charge faster at the SCs than the 70D.

Why D though - especially in FLat FL? That's a good question but you know the RWD is going away in the not so distant future. Also, I feel the OTAs will be geared towards improving the D models - by sleep torquing and other techniques that might be developed in the future.

Looking to the future, I'm also thinking the SAS might get additional features - like this geofencing that they added over the past year.

I could be convinced to give up the Premium Audio AND the SAS for the Cyclone (19") wheels though! :)

I am totally with you on the D. Just got off the phone with a friend who traded in his S85 for 85d.
HE LOVES AUTOPILOT. And he says the ride with 2 motors is a LOT better. But he did say that the front motor makes more overall sound than just one motor.
I'm ok with that frankly, I like the tech stuff.

As far as wheels .. have you considered the TST wheels -
Model TST 19x8.5â€￾ Front + 19x8.5â€￾ Rear Aftermarket Wheels | Aftermarket Accessories for Tesla Model S (and keep the 19" spare or ebay them).

I've been observing and lusting over Tesla for a few years myself. Worked hard, saved enough money, but cannot convince myself to spend so much on a "car".
But, then I gave myself a crazy fitness goal - and I met that in 6 weeks (ridiculous, I have a 6 pack now). And Tesla was my reward.
I'm spending far too much time researching every nitpick about Tesla, at this point I know more about Model S than 99% of the owners - I need to refocus :) and damn well get the Tesla or get over it.

I am going for a Test drive on Wednesday. Pretty good chance that I will order it soon thereafter.

Here is what I'm getting (most probably),
- Solid black 70d, Premium interior package, tech package w autopilot
- Gray leather interior.
- Piano black
- Pano roof

Confusion points,
Piano black or Carbon fiber?
-- Piano black looks hella nice to me. Yeah it shines/distracts whatever, I'll live with it. It looks really nice to me.
-- I don't like the wood interior
-- I will get the Tesla center console, which right now is available only in Piano black
-- Carbon fiber is my second choice, but this is not a P85, and I don't personally like how carbon fiber looks.
-- My only concern with piano black is it being prone to getting scratched.

Interior - Gray leather or Black
-- Black is my second choice, but black + black not appealing too much! But it doesn't dirty as much over time.
-- And the Tan looks cheap. I mean, Tan on a maserati looks nice, but Tesla's interior isn't it's best quality anyway. Gray simplicity is very apple like :) goes with the minimalistic ethos.

- Black alacantra headliner or white. I like the lightness the white alacantra brings, but I like how the black blends with the roof, and thinking it'll blend with the black exterior nicely too.

This is the look I am going after, still confused about headliner -
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2873/9992352493_c685e4eb52_b.jpg

Would appreciate any thoughts to further confuse me! :)

If you want good quality digital music, you need sacd, dvd audio, or flac format - which neither of the three are easily acquirable. Now if tesla played flac audio over USB, that'd really be something.

Lossless audio is amazing. Once you hear it, you realize what you've been missing.

The Tesla plays FLAC files over USB. Has done that since day one as far as I know. Really a great feature. My music collection is mostly FLAC these days and sounds great.

Sure thing! My birthday is Saturday and I'll be placing my order then. My son doesn't turn 16 to get my Volt until 12/30/15 so technically, I should wait for delivery then. But, the nice wife/CFO is allowing me a 9/1/15 delivery (just before our National Drive Electric Week Event that I've been organizing over the past 3 years.

Here's my order / frame of reference:

85D, new Metallic Blue, autopilot,
Standard 19"s
Next Gen Tan Seats (I think tan looks good with the blue or red),
gloss obeche wood (will hide any scratches horizontally at least), I agree the CF is too "racey". I like your idea if you want the center console - as the piano black is the only Tesla color available. Piano black would be my second choice here - especially for the price!
Pano Roof (in FL a must)
Premium Interior w/black alcantara. I think the black roof looks killer with the tan interior. Nice contrast. I think that picture you have is of the signature S which has a very light tan/beige interior.
The black on black looks great too - especially for a black car. I have that in my Volt now and love it.

I'm on the fence about the long-term costs vs. the cool factor of the Smart Air Suspension. The coils seem to provide better driver feel, but the air is geofenced - just so wicked cool. And the idea that it lowers at highway speeds is cool too - but only about 1% more efficient . . .

I want to build the most efficient EV out there. I think they 85D with 19"s and SAS does that. :)

Sure thing! My birthday is Saturday and I'll be placing my order then. My son doesn't turn 16 to get my Volt until 12/30/15 so technically, I should wait for delivery then. But, the nice wife/CFO is allowing me a 9/1/15 delivery (just before our National Drive Electric Week Event that I've been organizing over the past 3 years.

Standard 19"s
gloss obeche wood (will hide any scratches horizontally at least), I agree the CF is too "racey". I like your idea if you want the center console - as the piano black is the only Tesla color available. Piano black would be my second choice here - especially for the price!
Pano Roof (in FL a must)
Premium Interior w/black alcantara. I think the black roof looks killer with the tan interior. Nice contrast. I think that picture you have is of the signature S which has a very light tan/beige interior.
The black on black looks great too - especially for a black car. I have that in my Volt now and love it.

I'm on the fence about the long-term costs vs. the cool factor of the Smart Air Suspension. The coils seem to provide better driver feel, but the air is geofenced - just so wicked cool. And the idea that it lowers at highway speeds is cool too - but only about 1% more efficient . . .

I want to build the most efficient EV out there. I think they 85D with 19"s and SAS does that. :)

That sounds HOT! I admire your patience in waiting till November though.
btw, I sat in the next gen seats, forgot to mention - I will definitely get those. They are far better than the previous seats.

That sounds HOT! I admire your patience in waiting till November though.
btw, I sat in the next gen seats, forgot to mention - I will definitely get those. They are far better than the previous seats.

I agree with you completely on the seats! Do you mean hot like temperature? With the remote start and no sunroof on my Volt it's not too bad at all. I just started it a minute ago - gotta run to a meeting tonight. It uses the juice from the plug before the battery . . .

Standard 19"s
Pano Roof (in FL a must)

Good choices I went with the black alcantara with the tan next gen seats. I was on the edge that it might be too dark inside. But after 3 weeks of driving with it love. No regret on not going UHF my hearings messed up anyway (tinitis) so the sound system wasnt a big deal.

Good choices I went with the black alcantara with the tan next gen seats. I was on the edge that it might be too dark inside. But after 3 weeks of driving with it love. No regret on not going UHF my hearings messed up anyway (tinitis) so the sound system wasnt a big deal.

Thanks for this! I'm leaving towards coils and the standard radio. I'll do my upgrade later on the speakers!

Thanks for this! I'm leaving towards coils and the standard radio. I'll do my upgrade later on the speakers!

Just remember, you can always upgrade the speakers/radio later, but you won't be able to upgrade suspension. So do it now to be safe if you even think you may want/need it in the future. It's really just about a meager 2.5% price increase in the scheme of a 100k car. ;-)

Just remember, you can always upgrade the speakers/radio later, but you won't be able to upgrade suspension. So do it now to be safe if you even think you may want/need it in the future. It's really just about a meager 2.5% price increase in the scheme of a 100k car. ;-)

And if there is some other software OTA upgrade, if I don't have the air I'll be missing out! I hear you!