Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70D vs. 90D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
here is my opinion on this - for me the 70D covers a massive majority of usage in terms of range. So I am saving the extra 15k odd to buy a Model 3. Also, I am not in a position when 10k odd is short change for me.. :tongue:

That's what I was thinking too, that the larger rear end of the X would shield the bikes better (hiding them in the dirty air off the back) and thus not affect the range quite as much. Since the X is already at a range disadvantage I doubt the bikes would make up that difference, even if there was one.
Yeah, unless the bikes/rack are really small, the X will take a smaller hit than the S. But the size of that hit could be substantial depending on how far out/back the bikes stick out from the X. If someone had access to an X with a rack/bikes, they could do a few bi-directional runs with and without the rack/bikes and get a good idea of what they do to energy consumption.

I just received a call from Tesla. If I upgrade my 70D to 90D I will be able to receive my car at the end of the April. The cost difference is 13K.
I don't know, I'll sleep over it for a couple of nights. I have time until Monday to decide.

Onur
When did you confirm? I have the same order as you but didn't get a call.

Also, did he say Tesla is willing to waive the $500 fee?

Last edited:
They must be really trying to finish Q1 with a bang. Not sure why you would change your decision, you knew when ordering the 70 you would not get your car until fall and you also decided that it would work for you and spending $13,000 for 37 miles was not worth it.

Not to mention, it sounds like production on all models is accelerated. So that fall timeframe may be moved up, if we are to believe what we're hearing.

They must be really trying to finish Q1 with a bang. Not sure why you would change your decision, you knew when ordering the 70 you would not get your car until fall and you also decided that it would work for you and spending $13,000 for 37 miles was not worth it.

I agree, I already made the decision while I was ordering. It is just tempting to get my hands on it earlier.

Just got an e-mail saying they slowed production in the last couple of months to insure quality and now they have resolved those issues and to expect my 70 mid year. This is new because it originally said mid to late this year, and of course said if I wanted to switch to a 90 could have it next month.

I agree, I already made the decision while I was ordering. It is just tempting to get my hands on it earlier.

It will be interesting to see what this means for 70D deliveries overall. Always something of a fools errand to try to figure out what is going on behind the scenes, but this wouldn't be Q1 financials driven since they were talking about late April delivery. It would seem this sort of call would be triggered by either or any of the below:

1) Customer service: Since you are in CA, getting 90D order paperwork finalized by 3/31 would effectively give you a $2,500 discount on trading up to the 90D. Still a lot of money for the upgrade, but nice to have the option. (I'm not in CA, but my understanding is you don't actually need to take final delivery to qualify for the expiring credit. Not sure if late April delivery is soon enough to get you under the wire for that or not.)

2) Managing profit/unit: The 90D is more profitable than the 70D, so anyone they can get to trade up is good for them.

One interesting note is that if the only reason for making the call on Tesla's side is #2, it implies that some 70D's will likely start to getting produced in Q2. If they had enough confirmed orders for 90's to fill their production capacity in Q2, there would be no reason to try to find more. If they don't currently have enough 90D's to fill their Q2 queue, the 70D's are next in line.

Presumably, the biggest indicator will be if someone outside CA gets a call to upgrade their 70D.

- - - Updated - - -

Just got an e-mail saying they slowed production in the last couple of months to insure quality and now they have resolved those issues and to expect my 70 mid year. This is new because it originally said mid to late this year, and of course said if I wanted to switch to a 90 could have it next month.

Ha! I was typing my other message when you posted this. Would seem to confirm faster delivery. I was being pessimistic and assuming something like Nov/Dec delivery before. Would be a pleasant surprise to get delivered earlier than that.

1) Customer service: Since you are in CA, getting 90D order paperwork finalized by 3/31 would effectively give you a $2,500 discount on trading up to the 90D. Still a lot of money for the upgrade, but nice to have the option. (I'm not in CA, but my understanding is you don't actually need to take final delivery to qualify for the expiring credit. Not sure if late April delivery is soon enough to get you under the wire for that or not.)

CA Credit is not going away. It will just disappear for folks who make more than 500K filing jointly. Hey, If I were making that much, I would be already getting myself a P90DL. :smile:

Wait! you are reservation number 16XXX (is that correct?) and they told you you could get the car mid year!!! WOW ! I am 16xxx too, this makes me super happy!