Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70mai Dashcam install - Gen 1 MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I bought a 70MAI dashcam and the hardware kit came three wires to connect to my Auxillary port in my speaker vent near windshield.

Question is do I need a 4 pin extension cable to connect the three wires to the auxillary port or can I just push the three wires in the port?

Here's a photo... Also is this auxilary "always-on"?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5858.jpeg
    IMG_5858.jpeg
    404 KB · Views: 56
Hello All,

I bought a 70MAI dashcam and the hardware kit came three wires to connect to my Auxillary port in my speaker vent near windshield.

Question is do I need a 4 pin extension cable to connect the three wires to the auxillary port or can I just push the three wires in the port?

Here's a photo... Also is this auxilary "always-on"?

Thanks
That's not an auxiliary port, but the connector for the optional intrusion detector. All EU cars have the module installed, and you can buy it as an option on the Tesla store.

Yes, this is always on power.

Generally, I recommend connecting the yellow and red wires together, so the dashcam is on all the time. That way you're recording when parked in case someone attempts to damage your car while parked. Some dashcams detect when parked when it senses no motion (BlackVue for example). I don't know if your dashcam has that option. The reason for the yellow wire is so the battery in an ICE car is not run down. It's a trivial drain for an EV, and you can leave the dashcam powered all the time without any issue. If there were no other loads, the dashcam would run for years!

Not to sell you something, but I have been making a cable that allows connection without cutting the Tesla wires and allows the intrusion module to still be connected if you have it. Here are the details on how to make one and/or buy a kit of parts or an assembled version: Dashcam Power Cable – TeslaTap