Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$724 for TPMS sensor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi @Lasttoy ,

You are showing the Continental TPMS ECU for cars May 2015 and after.
You may buy this on eBay and install it with TPMS sensors compatible with
Continental and it will NOT work.
When Tesla performs the upgrade they install the Continental ECU like you have
and Continental Sensors like you have....
BUT the car software has to be updated for the Continental system...
AND Tesla TPMS tool has to write the sensor information to the car.

If your car has not been updated to the new system by Tesla you should have
a Baolong ECU and Balong TPMS sensors.
The picture of the Baolong ECU is shown below...

Antenna 2.jpg

The Baolong ECU should be matched with Baolong Sensors.
Baolong sensor for Roadster or this age model S is Tesla part 6004985.

The service bulletin for the Continental upgrade is below...

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10081828-5448.pdf

On a car of your age the additional harness will need to be added...

Good luck,

Shawn

There are 3 Service Bulletin on this. I just performed 15 pager. 4 new Continental -C sensors off ebay. New module controller -C off eBay. Bought new harness from SC. $70. Took a few hours running harness. Had local shop insta!! Sensors. Went to SC for new software load$75. This took 2 years because SC were uneducated on Service Bulletins. It's all ok now, took 600 mile trip last weekend.

There are 3 Service Bulletin on this. I just performed 15 pager. 4 new Continental -C sensors off ebay. New module controller -C off eBay. Bought new harness from SC. $70. Took a few hours running harness. Had local shop insta!! Sensors. Went to SC for new software load$75. This took 2 years because SC were uneducated on Service Bulletins. It's all ok now, took 600 mile trip last weekend.
Did that add PSI display?

Reading through this thread, I'm relatively certain that my original Gen1 TPM sensors (early 2013 Model S w/out PSI readings), that are shot (tire shop did a reset, but no dice) would use these ITM sensors.

My preferred shop says they've had trouble with Model S sensors, which I suspect may be due to not realizing these are older sensors?

Thus, a couple of questions if I may:

• It seems that as long as those are the correct sensors, a shop with a correct scan tool should be able to set them up. What if the original sensors are "dead", do they need to be alive and be cloned?

• Does the new sensor ID need to somehow be programmed in to the car's computer? if so, how?

• I had the MCU upgrade done, but still had the old TPMS system, which it works with. Any issues there?

Thanks for all those that provided info in this thread, and thanks for any input.

Reading through this thread, I'm relatively certain that my original Gen1 TPM sensors (early 2013 Model S w/out PSI readings), that are shot (tire shop did a reset, but no dice) would use these ITM sensors.

My preferred shop says they've had trouble with Model S sensors, which I suspect may be due to not realizing these are older sensors?

Thus, a couple of questions if I may:

• It seems that as long as those are the correct sensors, a shop with a correct scan tool should be able to set them up. What if the original sensors are "dead", do they need to be alive and be cloned?

• Does the new sensor ID need to somehow be programmed in to the car's computer? if so, how?

• I had the MCU upgrade done, but still had the old TPMS system, which it works with. Any issues there?

Thanks for all those that provided info in this thread, and thanks for any input.
Well, no response... I had the shop install the ITM sensors, but they can't read the old original sensors to clone them...they suspect they are dead...

Is there any way to get the old sensor ID's out of the car computer to reprogram the sensors... or to plug the new sensor ID's in to the car computer?

There are only two types of sensors, I don't know why the cost your $724.

Here is how I got them: 4 of the 433 MHZ sensors costs $119 Amazon.com
Labor to install them with Road Force Tire Balance and new tires installed was like $140..

They only way it could have been more is if Tesla pulled the legacy pre 433 MHZ system an installed the $500 card to give you fidelity the pressure in each corner, so $119 + $140 + $500 would get you to $759...

Reactions: gaswalla
Odd that no one suggested fixing the original sensors. Seems the only issue is the lithium-ion battery has died in the original sensor. Yes, I'm sure they are not intended to be replaced, but that's sadly true of most devices today. Still, I expect they can be cut apart, a new battery installed, and then resealed. Here's one report doing it for a Toyota sensor: TPMS sensor battery replacement. Here's how, but is it worth it?