Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think this correct ... the (+) designation also improved 0-60 performance from 4.2 to 4.0 seconds.

upload_2017-7-2_9-10-10-png.233703

Not correct. P85 and P85+ have the same 0-60 time. Most likely a P85+ owner that have edited the wikipedia article :p

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Phew - I delayed my delivery a couple of weeks because I thought Tesla would pull something out of the bag this month.

That's a hell of a performance boost. What do you think the bhp of a 75S will be now? Must be over 500 bhp if matching the acceleration of the old 90D. Imagine what you'd have to pay to add that kind of power to an ICE car.

Another member noted that they have a new version of drive unit

I'm pretty sure it's not the drive unit. What has limited the performance of the 75 is the size of the pack. I'm expecting them to drop the 75 for the new 90 (they might call it an 85) when they finish selling the left over 90Ds. They want to get rid of the 1st gen module that was used on the original 85, the 90, and the 75 packs and standardize on the module being used for the 100 KWh. 14X of the modules used in the 100 KWh battery gives you an 89 KWh pack. That's how they were able to get the 0-60 times down. Note they are the same as the old 90D.

They may ship with a software limited 90 pack, or before they make deliveries they might drop the 75 entirely and all 75 orders get converted to 90s.

Ways to reduce 0-60 mph specs:
  1. Increase HP.
  2. Reduce weight.
  3. Alter gearing.
  4. Alter Torque Management tables. Powertrain software controls often put limits on peak TQ at low speeds to avoid damage.
  5. Increase traction if traction impaired. This is often both tires and suspension, but can be just a tire swap or just suspension.
  6. Alter the way you measure 0-60 mph times.
  7. Wite-Out on brochure.
#1 and #2 will show up when testing 1/4 mile trap speeds. The rest will have less effect on trap speeds which almost entirely power-to-weight ratio.
#3 Shows relatively small gains on EVs.
#4 is interesting. TQM is also known as Abuse Control.
#5 Is not normally used for street cars. It can affect safety and degrade handling.
#6 College chemistry class method. Make the data match the hypothesis.
#7 Normally this method is not used in engineering, it is however a popular method with politicians.

Ways to reduce 0-60 mph specs:
  1. Increase HP.
  2. Reduce weight.
  3. Alter gearing.
  4. Alter Torque Management tables. Powertrain software controls often put limits on peak TQ at low speeds to avoid damage.
  5. Increase traction if traction impaired. This is often both tires and suspension, but can be just a tire swap or just suspension.
  6. Alter the way you measure 0-60 mph times.
  7. Wite-Out on brochure.
#1 and #2 will show up when testing 1/4 mile trap speeds. The rest will have less effect on trap speeds which almost entirely power-to-weight ratio.
#3 Shows relatively small gains on EVs.
#4 is interesting. TQM is also known as Abuse Control.
#5 Is not normally used for street cars. It can affect safety and degrade handling.
#6 College chemistry class method. Make the data match the hypothesis.
#7 Normally this method is not used in engineering, it is however a popular method with politicians.

#8 - With an EV, put in a larger capacity battery pack (and the inverter, eiring, etc. to handle the extra current).

Not correct. P85 and P85+ have the same 0-60 time. Most likely a P85+ owner that have edited the wikipedia article :p
+ only designated the suspension, though not consistently since the first few P85D's also had that suspension with staggered tires, then some had the suspension but no staggered tires (I have one of those, asked a mechanic when doing alignment and it's definitely stiffer than our other MS - I personally like it a lot). + never signified anything about 0-60.

Probably not possible.

If it's TQM based, absolutely.

#8 - With an EV, put in a larger capacity battery pack (and the inverter, eiring, etc. to handle the extra current).

A larger battery will only improve performance if you increase HP. I can double the size of a battery and produce the same power. While a bigger battery can reduce voltage sag, voltage sag does show up in both trap speeds and on a dyno, no OVM needed.

Last edited:
Did anyone answer the question about the Motor Trends rollout? Tesla in the past used the roll out to artificially lower the "P" 0-60 to show bigger difference between P and non-P (gotta justify those extra 10's of thousands of dollars somehow). The latest improvements seem to use that technique. Did the 75/75D prior to this latest announcement also use the rollout (sadly I don't remember when I was getting my 60D which eventually turned into 75D)?

Also, to cheer some of you guys out, this could be just another Elon hype. Elon/Tesla promised 10s quarter-mile for P85D which really burned a hold in P85 owners stomachs, but P85D 10s quarter mile never materialized - Elon must have calculated it assuming the 691hp which was a total and complete BS he must have overheard from some engineer and turned it into an official spec - or he just pulled it out of hiss you know what so he can sell more cars.

So, chin up 75 owners, Tesla lies about specs all the time, especially when it comes to performance. Just wait for the threads on "Where is the 4.2s 0-60 on my new 75D?". Oh, full disclosure, I got a 75D also, really don't expect the new 75's to have that much more power, if any, except MAYBE in some limited conditions (like if you all the stars are aligned and Elon himself is standing withing 1000ft), and let's not forget, only available for x number of launches, then the car will protect its drive-train and not let you ever do it again (like the Ludicrous upgrade) - that's for your own good you know.

From my S75 spec just gone into production I have DU01 for the new drive unit and BTX5 for the battery (which I believe is still the 75 pack).

I didn't see any of these codes. Do you have a site with these codes and where to find them? I would think a drive unit called DU01 would be the original large motor drive unit that is still standard in the RWD cars.

A larger battery will only improve performance if you increase HP. I can double the size of a battery and produce the same power. While a bigger battery can reduce voltage sag, voltage sag does show up in both trap speeds and on a dyno, no OVM needed.

From what I understand you can upgrade an existing 75 to a 90 by swapping out the battery pack and tweaking the firmware. There is someone on Ebay that does it for $15K.

Jason Hughs upgraded an original 60 to a P85 by swapping the battery and setting some switches in the firmware. Though you can't do a 75D->P100D because the dual motor performance cars have a different rear motor from the non-performance dual motors.

If this performance upgrade comes from putting the Model 3 inverter in the Model S/X, then why are there no differences with the P100Ds? They are already pushing the bounds of Physics with the P100Ds now, but I would think there would be some change.

Tesla now uses one foot roll out in all models, so that means, that on non P models the 0-60 times are not comparable with previous times, which lacked the roll out.
This is very telling, as roll out improves timed performance. The gap just closed quite a bit and isn't as dramatic as it first let on. ~.5/ second real world isn't as bad a disparage as ~1/ second (personal estimate).

I hold out hope that they'll do something for a chunk of us current owners similar to what they did with the ludicrous add-on to P85Ds and I can spend the 60 to 75 upgrade money on that instead, as extended range still proves to be a mostly non-issue with me. No lost sleep if they don't, though.

This is an interesting thread, and leaves me, like many a bit confused. I have a 6 month old 60D that Iupgraded to 75D a couple months ago. I have over 10K miles on it including a 2000 mile trip to the beach in NC and Back with 4 passengers, which was just fine - especially with AP most of the way.

My son and I noticed that the acceleration of the car feels more peppy since I upgraded to 75D. It may be in our head? What confuses me is the 90D and 75D have the same internal workings other than the battery. The inverter is the same, dual motors are the same, no? What hardware differences are there between the 75D and 90D that allow for the better performance of the 90D or is it surrently only software? If so, then what will Tesla charge for a software upgrade? If not, c’est La vie. I would have loved the better performance, but could not justify the price difference. Currently my MS is our family car and it’s awesome! I’m still holding on to the M3 reservation to see what will be available next year when we are in need of a new vehicle..

I have a 6 month old 60D that Iupgraded to 75D a couple months ago. I have over 10K miles on it including a 2000 mile trip to the beach in NC and Back with 4 passengers, which was just fine - especially with AP most of the way.

My son and I noticed that the acceleration of the car feels more peppy since I upgraded to 75D. It may be in our head?

I have a similar story with my 75D. Personally, I think the car has more pep when it is warm outside. I wonder if you noticed a difference as we were coming out of winter?