Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

75 and 75D variants increased performance from July 1st - software and hardware improvements?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I foresee the CPO 75 market being just as "fun" as the P85D market - trying to figure out which P85D has the better suspension and which doesn't, none of which is listed on Tesla's site. With the 75s, it will be which one has the faster time and which one doesn't.

Ah well, it's all part of the fun, I suppose. These rapid changes are also why I will probably never buy a new Tesla (unless it's less expensive like a 3). When I buy used, I know it's already outdated, and I got a good discount for that.

If you can't live your miserable/full of envy/whatever life without having the latest and the greatest get a lease.

Why the insults?

Besides, a lease is a terrible solution to the kind of customer I am discussing here. A lease locks you into the "miserable" purchase for a number of years. With Tesla the ability to quickly liquidate the losings and play the roulette again is paramount! :D Or being able to sell and buy an I-Pace, once available...

So when it's time for you to buy a new car, you won't buy a Tesla, even if it's the best deal at the time? Just because Tesla spontaneously improves their cars every few months?

Of course I will buy whatever I find overall the best deal for myself. I am just explaining how the continuous changes (not always improvements, mind you) are adding a negative factor on that overall calculation, as they make understanding the roadmap and planning for it much harder than with other cars. If other things offset that, fine, but the math is still there.

Look, you don't have to feel the same way. Nobody is asking you to. But clearly some of us factor into our purchases the relative feature set of that purchase and it matters to us when assessing the success or lack thereof of a purchase.

If you don't care that 20+% is shaven off the 0-60 time a day after you take delivery, good for you. Some do care and would prefer to avoid such an experience.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
As a consumer I will never buy another Tesla and I look forward to the day that others move into this space and make it much more competitive. I am over the quarter end changes to keep new customers buying while they basically seem to care less of their existing customers.

Sorry but this makes no logical sense. Why are yearly updates OK but quarterly are not?

Well, my one-week old 75D will not be much different than the Model 3. I just wasted $40k!! Thanks Elon.
Anyone who buys a Model S right now is flirting with major disappointment. Elon is delivering on his statement that the Model 3 will not have better technology than S/X by bringing technology developed for Model 3 to the S/X before the Model 3 ships. This is how you must parse Elon's words because the man likes to be "truthfully" deceptive whenever possible. I reiterate my point that I've been making over and over again that buying a S/X today, if you can wait, is not the smartest move if you want the latest and greatest bits. There are a lot more changes certainly coming, so the next 12 months are going to be a very fun ride.

To the larger point of yearly update cycles versus how Tesla does them, I much prefer the yearly cycles that have become the norm in the rest of the automotive industry. It's a huge investment that Elon is treating like nothing. For him, a billionaire, I'm sure having a new Model S every year is nothing for him. But for the rest of us it's a damn big deal. I spent 3x on my Model S what I would have spent on any other car.

I look forward to more competition for Tesla, until then they pretty much get to write the book.

Sorry but this makes no logical sense. Why are yearly updates OK but quarterly are not?

Because its expected that from one year to another there might be a change but every 3 months is ridicules. Buying a car model one month and paying a premium and it being discontinued less than 3 months and its values plummet is plain stupid. Having cars in the same year with different front ends is stupid, Paying $2000 for a glass roof a month ago and now its included free is stupid. Buying a car with a 90k battery and then for the same price you can get a $100k battery is stupid. Buying a car because FREE Supercharging is going away and then a month later its back is stupid. While I am sure some will disagree and call it progress the way they run quarterly changes to keep sales going while alienating their existing customers is just plain stupid. Just my opinion whether you agree or not.

Tesla now uses one foot roll out in all models, so that means, that on non P models the 0-60 times are not comparable with previous times, which lacked the roll out.
The previous 100D (I understand with the rollout) had a 0-60 time of 4.2 seconds. New time (I understand without the rollout) is 4.1. Is it fair to conclude the rollout calculation change has a 0.1 second impact? So that means a 0.9 second improvement. Is my math correct?

Tesla now uses one foot roll out in all models, so that means, that on non P models the 0-60 times are not comparable with previous times, which lacked the roll out.
Are you sure about this? I thought Tesla always used the same 1-foot rollout as Motor Trend?

The real question is, do current 75D's have any chance for performance boost via software only?
To me the real question is how many more improvements can Tesla make to the S/X before Model 3 ships.

Because its expected that from one year to another there might be a change but every 3 months is ridicules. Buying a car model one month and paying a premium and it being discontinued less than 3 months and its values plummet is plain stupid. Having cars in the same year with different front ends is stupid, Paying $2000 for a glass roof a month ago and now its included free is stupid. Buying a car with a 90k battery and then for the same price you can get a $100k battery is stupid. Buying a car because FREE Supercharging is going away and then a month later its back is stupid. While I am sure some will disagree and call it progress the way they run quarterly changes to keep sales going while alienating their existing customers is just plain stupid. Just my opinion whether you agree or not.
I think people just aren't use to it. It actually makes sense. Why would you want to handicap your car company by waiting a year to improve your car? Just so it's easier for people to keep up with the Jonses?

Reactions: Bluejuice and EinSV
I think people just aren't use to it. It actually makes sense. Why would you want to handicap your car company by waiting a year to improve your car? Just so it's easier for people to keep up with the Jonses?

You call it handicapping a car company, I call it handicapping your customers. Who wants to buy a car that is old in 3 months? We are not buying $100k used cars here.

Tesla doesn't do model years. Never has. Anyone buying a Tesla should know that, and know the car will be improved soon after buying it. But that shouldn't deter you from buying if it has the features you want at a price you're willing to pay for it. Just know it won't be the latest and greatest for more than a few months. Technology doesn't wait for people who are concerned their car will be "outdated". If you're one of those people, perhaps Tesla isn't for you. You could buy a less technologically advanced car and know it won't be improved upon for another year or more. It is that what you really want ?

I'm a reservation holder for a model s in the U.K. where the order was placed back in May and I will be affected by this however before I go into detail in the 'impact' this will have I will give you a super brief background. Since I ordered my car (this is my second after the first one got written off in a traffic accident). my replacement tesla since I have ordered it has been improved by
A: the new roof and boot included this effectively made me pull the trigger (originally ordered without this as cpo cancelled the order and re ordered factory build whiteout cost to me)
B: one month later told my premiums would be reduced due to the lower interest rate and then been allowed to add extras if I wished. (I decided not too and took the cash)

Now 6 weeks later I find out they have released the 1 second 0-60 upgrade. At first I was gutted that I'd be missing this as my car is already in transit and in Amsterdam being 'prepared' for delivery. However having read this thread and others I remembered that actually the reasons I've ordered this car is that it's amazing. The old one is amazing (god rest its motors) and the new one is going to be too. I was happy with it when I ordered it and I'm already 'up' based on the above. So last night when I went to bed I had made my peace with it safe in the knowledge that the last car MS70 was plenty fast enough on its own.

The delivery centre then rang me this morning to confirm my collection and I thought I'd ask about the 0-60 thing and low and behold I get that too!!! So as it turns out in my case some you win and err some you win?!

Now having thought about this I am already planning on using the Easter egg that allows you to turn it into any other model, I can tell you now I'll be turning mine down into a 60 or 70 as 4.1 seconds is probably too quick for my driving style and I am no Lewis Hamilton I know that.
Anyway just thought I'd let you know it's not all bad news.......

Reactions: stages
I totally agree. I think I had one of the worst quarter push hits.
I've ordered my second Tesla on the day Facelift announced in April 2016. Fully Loaded P90DL. I've received the car at the end of the June. A few weeks later, they've made a 25% discount on inventory P90DLs, then P100D is announced and then AP2 is announced. My brand new car has lost it's value immediately. They asked £40.000 difference for P100D update.
As far as I can see, Tesla UK is always making discounts at the quarter ends, for us it doesn't make sense to order a custom built.

Reactions: BestRadar