Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 (2.50.185) caution using TACC/Autosteer features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since Tesla wanted more details about the weather and intersection details, I happily obliged with a drawing.

This is an update from my post about TACC being enabled and the near broadside collision of a Prius that ran a red light and made a left turn against my straight green.

Here is a good laugh for everyone. Art is not my strong suite.

Attachments

• Intersection.PNG
    Intersection.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 140
Last edited:
Since Tesla wanted more details about the weather and intersection details, I happily obliged with a drawing.

This is an update from my post about TACC being enabled and the near broadside collision of a Prius that ran a red light and made a left turn against my straight green.

Thanks for posting your experiences. I also got AP2, just haven't had a chance to post my experiences. I just emailed Tesla, but main 2 issues I've experienced are:
  • a few phantom cars appearing as well causing car to brake when no one else is around
  • when a lane is merging into my lane (like on-ramp onto the highway), I've gotten nervous because:
    • one time as a car was trying to merge, my car accelerated to try to maintain the right following distance to the car in front. I had to brake hard or I felt I would hit the merging car
    • any time a lane is merging into mine, my car starts to pull to the right when the right-sided lane marker disappears I think to try to maintain being in the center of the lane. Made me feel like it was going the wrong way, I think in these instances if it's possible to keep it aligned with the left lane marker, that would be better
I'm happy to continue testing for Tesla and try to do my part. As there's plenty to explore already and it's so fun to drive, I don't mind not having AP2 at this point... it will be that much more fun when they figure all the kinks out.

Everyone - please write the following two email addresses with your bug reports. I've been contacted by Tesla every day, including weekends to follow up on the issues.

[email protected] and [email protected]
Is is the standard automated response or a human is actually following up with more questions asking for more data? What kind of interaction is taking place? Is that a real engineer or a support person.

Is is the standard automated response or a human is actually following up with more questions asking for more data? What kind of interaction is taking place? Is that a real engineer or a support person.

I'm going to be really jealous if you AP2 owners get to email a REAL engineer.

As an AP1 owner every email I've exchanged was clearly with a support/service person that wasn't all that helpful to whatever objective I had in reporting/inquiring about something.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100

awesome feedback. The only suggestion I have would be to cut/paste the GPS coords somewhere near the bottom of the image.

Since you are giving them a google street view I assume it should be easy. If you took that picture yourself I'd suggest going to google street view of the location and copy the GPS section from there and add it to your report.

To do it you'd have to go back to overhead map view, click on the road near the intersection and snip that little pop up.

aid1248331-728px-Get-Latitude-and-Longitude-from-Google-Maps-Step-15.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MXWing
Quick q: is TACC advertised as working on city streets?
No, not according to the Owners Manual:

Warning: Do not use Traffic-Aware Cruise Control on city streets or on roads where traffic conditions are constantly changing.

The issue with city streets is pedestrian traffic, traffic lights, and intersections where there are no lane lines. In general, if there are no pedestrians and your car is following another, then it can handle city streets quite well.

I'm going to be really jealous if you AP2 owners get to email a REAL engineer.

As an AP1 owner every email I've exchanged was clearly with a support/service person that wasn't all that helpful to whatever objective I had in reporting/inquiring about something.

It started out low level with "Oh we will investigate your concerns". It seems upon investigation, the issue warranted escalation and deeper level of information requested than what was available in the logs.

awesome feedback. The only suggestion I have would be to cut/paste the GPS coords somewhere near the bottom of the image.

Since you are giving them a google street view I assume it should be easy. If you took that picture yourself I'd suggest going to google street view of the location and copy the GPS section from there and add it to your report.

To do it you'd have to go back to overhead map view, click on the road near the intersection and snip that little pop up.

aid1248331-728px-Get-Latitude-and-Longitude-from-Google-Maps-Step-15.jpg

Very informative! I will be sure to include the coordinates next time. This was Google street view. The reason why you know it wasn't my photo is because if the light is yellow and I'm up that far to the intersection, a Tesla is NOT going to stop. ;)

No, not according to the Owners Manual:

The issue with city streets is pedestrian traffic, traffic lights, and intersections where there are no lane lines. In general, if there are no pedestrians and your car is following another, then it can handle city streets quite well.

Not all Tesla drivers can read (English anyways). Fewer ones would RTFM. Even fewer would listen to TFM.

Some idiot (like myself) are going to find ways to break the system and discover all the possible corner cases. Since I am erring on the side of safety, I am expecting to hit that brake or grab the wheel so I don't expose myself or others to software that is still in early development.

Also, since the top end capabilities of AP2 Hardware is much higher than AP1 - feedback like the ones others have provided would be useful down the line for FSDC. FSDC is a non starter if you collide into immobile objects and can't handle intersecting cross traffic.

• Disagree
Reactions: disagree
It started out low level with "Oh we will investigate your concerns". It seems upon investigation, the issue warranted escalation and deeper level of information requested than what was available in the logs.

Very informative! I will be sure to include the coordinates next time. This was Google street view. The reason why you know it wasn't my photo is because if the light is yellow and I'm up that far to the intersection, a Tesla is NOT going to stop. ;)

Not all Tesla drivers can read (English anyways). Fewer ones would RTFM. Even fewer would listen to TFM.

Some idiot (like myself) are going to find ways to break the system and discover all the possible corner cases. Since I am erring on the side of safety, I am expecting to hit that brake or grab the wheel so I don't expose myself or others to software that is still in early development.

Also, since the top end capabilities of AP2 Hardware is much higher than AP1 - feedback like the ones others have provided would be useful down the line for FSDC. FSDC is a non starter if you collide into immobile objects and can't handle intersecting cross traffic.
Chill out. For someone who wants to brag about RTFM, you sure seem to suck at reading -- or you should have read it before telling us all how unsafe the release is.

I I know it isn't intended to work, but you're the alarmist thread starter and I was simply getting tired of your ridiculous whinging.

I value the feedback people give Tesla, but I simply cannot stand the additional hysterics and posturing that contribute nothing.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: NerdDoc and kavyboy
Chill out. For someone who wants to brag about RTFM, you sure seem to suck at reading -- or you should have read it before telling us all how unsafe the release is.

I I know it isn't intended to work, but you're the alarmist thread starter and I was simply getting tired of your ridiculous whinging.

I value the feedback people give Tesla, but I simply cannot stand the additional hysterics and posturing that contribute nothing.

Point me to where in the release notes where phantom red cars are detected by FCW which triggers sudden automatic braking? Must be in a font size you can pick up but I cannot...

Regarding "hysterics"

We are talking about a 6000lb vehicle traveling in excess of 70MPH - not something stupid like "Don't eat the silicon packets that come with Christmas toys".

I don't think YOU read TFOP (The "funky" original post). My main concern was the FALSE POSITIVE FCW which caused the car to decelerate all of a sudden for no reason and without warning.

Let me describe a scenario to you that might illustrate why sudden aggressive breaking for no reason might be a hazard.

Car 1 - Tesla traveling at 70MPH in the middle lane. All 3 lanes in front of the Tesla is clear.
Car 2 - Car A is travelling at 70MPH and is in the 4 o'clock position relative to the Tesla. No room for Car C to pass Car A on the right side.
Car 3 - Car B is travelling at 65MPH and is is at the 7 o'clock position relative to the Tesla.
Car 4 - Car C is travelling at 67MPH and is in the 6 o'clock position relative to the Tesla.

Car C notices that beyond the Tesla, freeway traffic is clear. Since Car C cannot pass on the right, it wants to pass on the left. Car C sees a gap starting to open up between the Tesla and Car B.

Car C, wanting to pass Car B happens to accelerate up to 75MPH. Car C enters a zone that makes it normally too close to the Tesla for normal following distances. Car C think its ok because it's going to only be a split second of tail gating since the goal was just to pass Car B. And since traffic in front of the Tesla is "all clear", Car C would not expect the Tesla to hard brake.

Tesla driver, MXWing is content with just staying at 70MPH with TACC engaged. He is not worried about what Cars A, B, and C is doing. He is just maintaining steady speed in the middle lane.

For no reason whatsoever, FCW triggers and dumps the Tesla's speed from 70 to 50, AT THE SAME TIME, Car C is accelerating to pass the Tesla by getting in front of Car B.

Guess what happens to Car C?

AGAIN - 6000lb vehicle traveling in excess of 70MPH. This is real life, not Gran Turismo on Playstation.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm sorry that I wasn't clear.

I find the histrionics UNhelpful.

Other than crying about me crying, your usefulness to this thread has the same value as an Oil change to a Tesla.

I was hoping you could tell me what happens to Car C but your knowledge of driving is apparently equivalent to your ability to provide meaningful discussion or contributions..

Last edited:

I'd argue that "erring on the side of safety" would mean only using the system in ways that Tesla says it should be used.

My gripe with Tesla is that it is too vague about appropriate use cases, and that Tesla has released the software before it actually works reliably in the use cases Tesla seems to think it is designed for.

But what Tesla (and the rest of the traffic on the road) doesn't need is amateur "testers" using the software in ways that Tesla has announced it is not ready for.

Reactions: disagree
Not sure if you guys got the new update or not, I didn't however on my drive today from san clemente to Long Beach and back I only had 2 false positives and they were very weak one, like half a second brake then has back on. That compared to 15-20 on Friday...

Since I didn't get an update it's learning apparently... interesting to find out

And I'm not trying to jump into anyone's fight but seriously last week I had a few cases I went from 75 to 50 in about a second in dense traffic that was moving at a high rate of speed.

Let's hope they have it fixed! I will gladly keep testing.

My 2c: I'm fine with the general concept of slowing down when approaching stopped cars. Blowing by a stopped car with a 70+mph speed differential is inherently dangerous, especially since Autopilot doesn't have IR cameras to look for signs of life. In fact, many states have (unenforceable) laws that state you must move over or slow down for stopped vehicles.

But the way Tesla currently does it (by abruptly slowing down right as you're about to pass the car) doesn't seem helpful at all. I would be okay with a gradual coast up to the car and then speed up afterwards.

Reactions: Andyw2100