Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.0 Music Player Unusable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I
The new to me bug is that I have the media player on FM radio NPR. I mute it I guess through the steering column. I'm not pausing as I can't pause a radio station, and I'm not turning the volume way down. Mentally I'm turning off / stopping all sound, and assuming when I turn it back on it will be at the same "place", and for a radio station will be whatever is on air.

The weird thing is that this happens when I am LEAVING the car, not arriving. I have had it off, and then it decides to start making noise when I leave with no direction from me. Maybe my car has turned into a dog that can't be left in the car... oops it can with 8.0.:D
have something similar. Today I went to pick up my kids from school. I had the radio up kind of loud when I was driving to get them. I parked, went in and got them, and came out. When I opened my door the music started as it should (that was the state in which I left it) but it was at the slightly lower volume level because the door was open. I hit the mute button on the steering wheel. I got my kids buckled and when I got in and shut my door, the radio came back on to it's original loudness (now at full volume since the door was shut). Jut shoddy work. I don't think this was QA'd at all.

What version do you have? Our understanding is that if you play an album, it plays alphabetically.
I am using version 8.

On my USB drive, I have the original album song files in folders that are named after the album title. They were copied to those folders in the order of the titles found on the original album. When viewed on the computer, the song titles are shown in the order of the titles found on the original album.

In the Tesla:

When I open the folders using "Folders", they are listed and play alphabetically.

When I open the folders using "Albums" they are listed and play in the original order of the album.

Isn't the reality here we (or maybe just I) really expect Tesla Media Player USB to work like good MP3 players do, and just play tracks in correct sequence after having properly scanned the combination of Album Title + Album Artist + Disc# (for multi-disc sets) + Track# then maintaining that sort in everything it does unless we put playback on Random/Shuffle/Repeat of some subset of tracks? (IIRC, that's how iTunes e.g. does it -- along with a much better seed for their random number generator ;).)

While I think it adds even more complexity, perhaps involving more memory consumption, and Tesla documented it as their intent, I would be OK if "By Folder" access were then completely untouched in terms of Media Player not trying to impose a tag sort order to keep some of you happy that prefer a roll-your-own keep-it-sorted-my-way approach like in the 8-track, cassette and CD days ...but otherwise my personal priority remains that Tesla-supplied tabs need to follow ID3 convention considering those 4 tags, since Media Player is trying to perform MP3 playback like nearly any other decent player does.

IMHO, Media Player USB has never properly considered all 4 tags as it should, so it introduces different anomalies based on what your particular music is, how well it's tagged, and then how you access a track via a Tesla Tab or Folder (should you choose to roll your own).

I have submitted multiple problem reports using both the car's onboard voice bug report and via e-mails sent to Tesla.

Each of the e-mails received a polite response that my concerns have been noted.

There are so many problems introduced by this release, it would be surprising if Tesla can quickly fix these issues and release an update that would at least bring 8.0 close to what we had with 7.1. Plus, since the development team and Tesla's hand-picked beta testers evidently missed these issues before the software was released, that doesn't inspire much confidence the same group will produce a better result the next time...

In the streaming of Slacker I am losing the last 45 seconds of 90% of the songs played. Pretty annoying losing the ending of my favorite tunes. The icons disappearing in Navigation could be an option instead of default. And I don't like tesla choosing my default screen positions, It takes extra time tapping the screen and looking away from the road to customize. I'm adjusting but it's been a hassle.
I lose songs as well, though not as much as you experience. I haven't figured out if it's only certain streams or if I'm in certain areas with poor 3G coverage or what, but it's a PITA.

The one story I saw on this in the news was related to an inventory car which we all know of course has discounts based on mileage and age and sometimes they double those when they're trying pad the quarter.

Is there another discount scenario that has gone beyond the scope of this? I simply took it as the media becoming aware of inventory car discounts that they've had for years. Was Elon not aware of these?

Tesla has been discounting brand new inventory cars, which prompted Elon Musk to send a memo to his staff telling them to stop, and to never discount a Tesla unless it has wear and tear. An inventory car is not a car with mileage, it is a car fresh off the assembly line that has not been purchased. The only cars Tesla sells with wear-and-tear and more than 50 miles on the ODO are loaners and CPO.

Here is a link to the story: Elon Musk to Tesla employees: NEVER discount a car

• Informative
Reactions: sorka
Here's a new one for the list. It has happened to me about five times now but it is not consistent.

I often check the radio for a minute or two to see if their is anything good on NPR or any top news. But then I turn it off and decide silence is good.
Later when I park the car and leave, the radio turns ON? o_Oo_Oo_O
I have the same problem. Has to be a bug. Pull into the garage, mute radio (AM/FM), open door and radio unmutes. Does not seem to happen on Streaming stations. And sometimes it doesn't unmute, though maybe that's only when I've been sitting in the car listening to the end of the inning or interview, then mute, then exit.

I also very much dislike that the radio/media player turns on when I unlock and open a door. Maybe some people do, maybe not, but this should be a user setting (e.g. Unmute Media Player on door open).

Do you have a good way to do that? I'd love to file a bug report

The only way to effect change at Tesla is to inundate Elon Musk's twitter feed. Sending feedback to the email address is like sending your feedback into a black hole. And why send it to Tesla internally when you can let the world know, and put some more eyeballs on this? Tesla needs to be pushed.

• Funny
Reactions: aesculus
I've always had a problem with being able to post on Twitter because I can't seem to keep comments to anything close 140 characters, but I do have an account and would be willing to start posting if we can get a little movement going.

Is anyone else noting a streaming issue when your car switches from WiFi (like at home) to Cell data (LTE)? I am listening to a station (audio comes on when I get into the car), drive away, and it cuts out. Under v. 7.x, it would lock onto LTE and resume playing. Now, I have to do the 'tap dance' on the touchscreen to manually deselect and reselect the station in the wonderful new Media interface.

The only way to effect change at Tesla is to inundate Elon Musk's twitter feed. Sending feedback to the email address is like sending your feedback into a black hole. And why send it to Tesla internally when you can let the world know, and put some more eyeballs on this? Tesla needs to be pushed.
I have to believe there is a better way to give feedback to Tesla and keep frivolity out of social media.

Please forgive, I posted this in another thread I stared, but seems better here.

Podcasts:

While it does seem to work with their "popular" podcasts, trying to find, then use the player with other Tune in podcasts is a new level of frustration.

Take for example "The Nerdist" podcast with Chris Hardwick. Searching for it gives you "songs" which are labeled clips, but if you search for whole episodes in "albums" All you get is the podcast label. No idea how long the podcast is or who is the guest. It is at least 50 podcasts long and not order of release.

Of course, the main podcast bug - resets to the beginning if you are away form the car for any period of time - still is a "feature"

Last, you can no longer "favorite" a podcast. While it appears you can, it is a cruel, cruel lie.

I was streaming a podcast today, put it on pause when I parked, when I returned to the car an hour later, it has lost my spot and restarted at the beginning. Good news, found a podcast to stream, bad news, I need to memorize how far I'm in.

I had decided the search and reporting were bad, but it played fine. Nope, doesn't hold your spot when you leave the car isn't playing fine.

What a bummer, back to using the iPhone's interface.

Reactions: Jagwease