Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8.1 HW2 Summon Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else running into problems with Summon on the new update for HW2 cars?

The app works sporadically, but also gives me an error more often than not. It is ether not able to connect to the car (right after using it a minute earlier) or gives an error related to the phone's proximity sensor being covered - not sure what the phone's proximity sensor comes into play for Summon.

The FOB does not work at all. Pushing and holding down on the middle of the FOB never puts the car into Summon mode (no flashing lights). Trying to use Summon while in the car also does not work - according to directions, you should be able to double tap the P for parking on the end of the stalk and a menu is supposed to come up for Summon, but double pressing the button does nothing.

IMG_2546.PNG
IMG_2545.PNG

Reactions: rrosenbl
Is anyone else running into problems with Summon on the new update for HW2 cars?

The app works sporadically, but also gives me an error more often than not. It is ether not able to connect to the car (right after using it a minute earlier) or gives an error related to the phone's proximity sensor being covered - not sure what the phone's proximity sensor comes into play for Summon.

I would guess it's to prevent in-pocket activation for those like my dad who don't turn off their smartphones before putting them in his pocket...

Reactions: rrosenbl
I'm also getting the proximity sensor error and the key fob works intermittently. Another problem is that the summons option does not move the car in a straight line. Starts straight then curves to the left 2 to 3 feet. When did reverse it also was crooked. It would have been a real problem if there was another car beside it.

Disabling the "Always pressed" fixed the issue with the FOB and in-car, thanks.

Summon is pretty cool but isn't 100% reliable in my experience so far. I've had the car work perfectly, as in I got out of the car in the drive it, it pulled itself in and closed the garage behind it...was amazing. :D

Then I've had it work once where it opened the garage on it's own and backed out...also amazing.

But more often then not, especially when pulling out of the garage, it fails to open the door and the Summon process aborts.

Also as others have said , it does not go straight back or forward for me either. It will pull into the garage straight, but when it backs out, it ends up at a slight angle for some reason. I assume if there was another car in the driveway, the sensors would make it go straight.

I've also had it pull back into the garage from the off-angle and it does a nice job steering left and right to get far enough from my wife's car, even though at first it starts nervously close to it.

It's labeled as Beta, so it's not as if this stuff is a surprise, but at this point other than a cool trick I can't see trusting it to do this stuff unsupervised - not even sure it was even ever advertised that way? I'd love to summon it from the app while still in the house while getting ready and then have it be in the driveway for when I leave, but again at this point I can't trust using it without me in the garage as well..and at that point I might as well back it out myself, it would be faster.

Reactions: ACExpress
My experience thus far has been similar to that of @HX_Guy.

The mobile app seems to lose connectivity to the car regularly, and the fob option seems to be the most reliable. I've disabled the always press requirement.

When it works and parks itself while shutting the garage door, I have a feeling like I just witnessed something really cool. Unfortunately, 2/3 of the time it fails in my preliminary experience. For me with a very tight garage space (and car set accordingly for tight clearance), it seems like the car has to be aligned perfectly straight before beginning the Summon. Even though it will make slight tweaks in steering once the front has cleared the garage, I've had to abort a few attempts where it would pull to one side or the other.

My hope (and perhaps someone in the know can clarify) is that the activation of more cameras will help improve this feature's reliability. I'm not sure how much it's using the active (single) front and back cameras (if at all) or wholly relying on sensors.

My hope (and perhaps someone in the know can clarify) is that the activation of more cameras will help improve this feature's reliability. I'm not sure how much it's using the active (single) front and back cameras (if at all) or wholly relying on sensors.
I understand that it is using the ultrasonics only. No cameras at all.

I expect FSD enabled cars will use the cameras for parking someday.

Disabling "Always pressed" made summon start working for me. Unfortunately, not too long after, the "Cruise not available" feature started working as well. I had been able to use autosteer and TACC for a week up until that point. Coincidence I'm sure.