Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8,800mi Tire change needed on Friends MYLR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there. Friend of mine had to replace his OEM tires after 8,800mi. I asked if he drives like a maniac, he said he does not and neither his wife who mostly drives the MY. I’ve see other friends on M3 Performance go 15-20k aggressive usage. Anyone else having really low tire Mileage on their MY’s?

By the way, friend lives up a big hill with steep grade lasting about 1 1/2mi long.

Could be alignment

Also, people are generally poor judges of themselves, just because he thinks drives one way, doesn’t make it so.
I still think something is wrong... Even if he thinks he's Mario Andretti, I don't think 8k miles is normal... I mean, I redline my Infiniti Redsport dang near everytime I drive it, and it has the same DWS tires as my Y, and I still manage around 30k miles with them. I managed 27k miles from the OEM goodyears on the Y.

I still think something is wrong... Even if he thinks he's Mario Andretti, I don't think 8k miles is normal... I mean, I redline my Infiniti Redsport dang near everytime I drive it, and it has the same DWS tires as my Y, and I still manage around 30k miles with them. I managed 27k miles from the OEM goodyears on the Y.
Definitely could be, however the common response to your comparison would be:

How heavy is your inifinti? + add instant torque to the equation

Definitely could be, however the common response to your comparison would be:

How heavy is your inifinti? + add instant torque to the equation
My point was that I drive the two cars similarly, and they have the same tires installed, and have similar performance. I've so far managed very similar mileage on my tires between the two cars. That's all I was saying.

All too often the OEM tires on Tesla cars are not of high quality. One way you can tell is they do not come with a mileage warranty. When you replace tires do not use OEM tires, instead, purchase high-quality tires that include a mileage warranty.
Conti/Michelin are very high quality tires. The lack of warranty doesn't mean they're crap. If you buy the same exact tire from Tire Rack, it has a mileage warranty. It's just an OEM thing that manufacturers do.

My response to the 8,800mi life, as my response always is.... It's normal. OP's friend launches harder than they think.

If you buy the same exact tire from Tire Rack, it has a mileage warranty. It's just an OEM thing that manufacturers do
That's not true, at least not with Goodyear. The Eagle F1 Asymmetric doesn't have a treadware warranty. I used to have that tire on a different car. Many tires in the UHPAS class don't have treadware warranties. Conti DWS and Michelin Pilot Sport AS are the exception. I remember when I first started using the Pilot Sport AS, the first gen didn't have a warranty either.

What other manufacturers have a mileage warranty on the OEM tires?
Adding to this, you can still get the hazard warranty by contacting Pirelli direct for ex.

Reactions: WyoDude