Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 Cameras! Can they add a small DVR?

I want DVR capabilities

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a great idea. Saves me the trouble of having to install my own cams, which is unsightly.
Regarding passengers, often with visible cameras people know or at least think they are being watched, which often leads to better behavior. Have hidden cams and you'll always find out after the fact, but a visible camera and an event may have not happened at all.

Reactions: garsh
I don't know, I can't picture using my Model 3 to go around and letting it give rides to strangers. Family and (close) friends may be one thing but otherwise might be concerned about to many what if's. Would probably use a big camera with a bright red blinking light and audio announcement that you are being recorded and monitored!!;)

Besides the strangers in my new car concern New England roads can be quite scary with potholes especially right after winter. I'm curios to know what happens in a pothole laden road and self driving. Does the vehicle try to avoid, does it ease up on the speed and slowly proceed safely or does it trot along as if nothing is wrong. If it does hit a nasty pothole and the tire and/or rim gets damaged what does it do. If it's out on an autonomous ride who picks the cost/expense of the tow, Tesla is also making money after all. I'm sure a lot of this will be explained in the future but initially it will be a tough sell for me to allow this.

I am quite interested to know how much storage is on board the AP2.0 cars, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like two 1Tb+ ssds in RAID 1.
meh, no need for RAID 1 which would be useless as write speed would still be slow.

Most of the data will stream, be processed, and not be stored. Data that is stored would be logs and mapping data. There's no need to store hours of video.

meh, no need for RAID 1 which would be useless as write speed would still be slow.

Most of the data will stream, be processed, and not be stored. Data that is stored would be logs and mapping data. There's no need to store hours of video.
They are going to have to store databases (of objects roads etc.) whose size I'm uncertain of, this will require redundancy, no idea if it will be raid of some kind but there will be two or more physical drives.

The ability is obviously there (how else did they do the feeds on the demo video) so I could see this being one of another of the features to be revealed at a later date for general consumption. I'm sure I've read threads going back ages with requests for a built in dash cam so, as Elon would say, we should expect (hope for) the obvious.

They are going to have to store databases (of objects roads etc.) whose size I'm uncertain of, this will require redundancy, no idea if it will be raid of some kind but there will be two or more physical drives.

Not at all, the deep neural networks process this data in real time. Feature and mapping data only needs to be stored long enough to send it back to Tesla and that's it. This can literally be stored in RAM until it's sent off.

To put the amount of data into perspective the old MobilEye system was using 10 kB per km.

Not at all, the deep neural networks process this data in real time. Feature and mapping data only needs to be stored long enough to send it back to Tesla and that's it. This can literally be stored in RAM until it's sent off.

To put the amount of data into perspective the old MobilEye system was using 10 kB per km.
The first tear down will tell, I'd be surprised if there's not significant, redundant, local storage

Edit: the bolded part is a good data point, where did you get that?

Last edited:
autopilot2.png

put a camara on this guy and place him in the driver seat

There are too many variations of privacy laws around the country about dash cams for them to unilaterally enable recording. Also the specs on the cameras are probably quite different from what people would want or be able to use as dash cams. Probably not HD, probably not wide angle, no night vision or other filters. Also, I don't think that I want anything that can be fundamentally in control of my car tied into any system that is accessible from the outside other than the Tesla OTA update process. So, no I don't want a dvr, usb port, or sd card connected, in any way, to the cameras that are driving my car.

+42! Exactly. The Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything about "Why Can't I Just Record Everything around My Car Anytime I Want, When It Seems Like Such a Good Idea?"

Please note that the camera shots from the video of the four corners of the car were all in Black and White. The computers only need to process the data for contrast information to confirm what is 'seen' through other sensors around the car. Even if the video is originally captured at 720p, I am certain that the computer systems process that data at a lower relative resolution, but at a faster rate than the video is actually taken.

Also, be advised that Tesla Motors has certain concerns when it comes to hackers that can best be avoided by not offering a convenient handy-dandy memory card slot to load malicious software through:

Tesla Motors -- Annual Report
ANNUAL REPORT PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(d) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934
For the fiscal year ended December 31, 2012

Item 1A -- Risk Factors

Automobile enthusiasts may seek to "hack" our vehicles to modify its performance which could compromise vehicle safety systems. Also, we are aware of customers who have customized their vehicles with after-market parts that may compromise driver safety. For example, some customers have installed seats that elevate the driver such that airbag and other safety systems could be compromised. Other customers have changed wheels and tires, while others have installed large speaker systems that may impact the electrical systems of the vehicle. We have not tested, nor do we endorse, such changes or products. In addition, customer use of improper external cabling or unsafe charging outlets can expose our customers to injury from high voltage electricity. Such unauthorized modifications could reduce the safety of our vehicles and any injuries resulting from such modifications could result in adverse publicity which would negatively affect our brand and harm our business, prospects, financial condition and operating results.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
Good point Red Sage about hacking concerns thru an SD slot. Perhaps it can be locked to only allow writing to the cards once formatted thru proprietary software on a pc or something? At the same time your post highlights concerns of aftermarket products that we surely want, so why not make it part of the system that can we access and make use of. Storage specific for this purpose would be pretty cheap for Tesla on a mass scale.

Good point Red Sage about hacking concerns thru an SD slot. Perhaps it can be locked to only allow writing to the cards once formatted thru proprietary software on a pc or something? At the same time your post highlights concerns of aftermarket products that we surely want, so why not make it part of the system that can we access and make use of. Storage specific for this purpose would be pretty cheap for Tesla on a mass scale.
Per the post by dsvick, different States have varied allowances for recording others. Generally, you may be cited or charged for 'illegal wiretapping' by recording others without their permission. Some places you can record video, but not audio. Some places you must make sure others are aware of the recording, whether they give permission or not -- so no 'hidden' cameras. Some places only allow interstitial imagery, like a slideshow, but not continuous video recording. Some places allow you to record any public event visible to all passers-by. Some places you might be charged with stalking if you follow someone while recording them. There are simply too many variables to incorporate built in rcording facilities even though the technology exists. The laws have not uniformly caught up in a consistent fashion nationwide.

+42! Exactly. The Ultimate Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything about "Why Can't I Just Record Everything around My Car Anytime I Want, When It Seems Like Such a Good Idea?"

Please note that the camera shots from the video of the four corners of the car were all in Black and White. The computers only need to process the data for contrast information to confirm what is 'seen' through other sensors around the car. Even if the video is originally captured at 720p, I am certain that the computer systems process that data at a lower relative resolution, but at a faster rate than the video is actually taken.

Also, be advised that Tesla Motors has certain concerns when it comes to hackers that can best be avoided by not offering a convenient handy-dandy memory card slot to load malicious software through:

Tesla Motors -- Annual Report
ANNUAL REPORT PURSUANT TO SECTION 13 OR 15(d) OF THE SECURITIES EXCHANGE ACT OF 1934
For the fiscal year ended December 31, 2012

Item 1A -- Risk Factors

Automobile enthusiasts may seek to "hack" our vehicles to modify its performance which could compromise vehicle safety systems. Also, we are aware of customers who have customized their vehicles with after-market parts that may compromise driver safety. For example, some customers have installed seats that elevate the driver such that airbag and other safety systems could be compromised. Other customers have changed wheels and tires, while others have installed large speaker systems that may impact the electrical systems of the vehicle. We have not tested, nor do we endorse, such changes or products. In addition, customer use of improper external cabling or unsafe charging outlets can expose our customers to injury from high voltage electricity. Such unauthorized modifications could reduce the safety of our vehicles and any injuries resulting from such modifications could result in adverse publicity which would negatively affect our brand and harm our business, prospects, financial condition and operating results.
The only problem I have with Teslas quote is that the mentioned hardware augments happen across the automotive industry.

People change their rims all of the time
People have been known to change their speakers
People have done things to augment their cars from the beginning of the automobile era.

Those aren't hacks.