Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

8 month old battery degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 8k miles on my 8 months old Model Y LR.
Teslamate is reporting 3.2% battery degraded.

Is this accurate? technically I am under warranty, is this something I can take it to tesla to get it fixed?

is this even normal?

1700913824087.png

I

Please, oh please, do a search!

There is nothing you can or should do, that's normal or could be even a bit LESS capacity loss than normal. Tesla will laugh at you if you ask about it.

Tesla is obligated to do something about it when that loss reaches 30%! Until then, the only time you should contact them about range loss is when the car tells you there's something wrong with the battery or you notice a rapid(like 10% in a week) range loss.

Last edited:
Summary: Expect ~5% the first year of a brand new Tesla with the 2nd year being roughly half of that and then it seems to halve down to ~0.5-1.% or so for the remaining years of it's life expectancy. This is common. There are plenty of examples of more aggressive degradation curves (within "spec" according to Tesla) with far fewer examples being less. This is typical and expected for the technology.

Everyone is nervous with range anxiety with a first electric vehicle. Shyboy, you have nothing to worry about. I have a list of Tesla Superchargers compiled from PlugShare with over 60 between NJ and Florida. Drive your Y until your SOC reaches 20%.
Both you and your Y will drive away happy.:)

Reactions: BWJ.
technically I am under warranty, is this something I can take it to tesla to get it fixed?

No, you cant. There is nothing to fix. There is no need to discuss anything about battery degradation with Tesla unless or until it reaches 30%, which is the warranty threshold. Im going to repeat that. 30% is the warranty battery degradation threshold, and no amount of degradation less than that is anything that Tesla will discuss with anyone, at all.

So, 4%, 12%, 28%, none of that is something that anyone can "take to tesla to get fixed" so there is no reason to even consider discussing it with them before that.

Whether its normal or not, doesnt matter other than "for entertainment purposes only" (personal information knowledge).

I have 8k miles on my 8 months old Model Y LR.
Teslamate is reporting 3.2% battery degraded.

Is this accurate? technically I am under warranty, is this something I can take it to tesla to get it fixed?

The original capacity of your battery is 82.1 kWh i think, so the degradation is a little higher if you calculate from that number.

Otherwise, just as you’re already told:
Its normal.

You can reduce the degradation by using lower SOC in general. Just search for calendar aging (and maybe my nickname) and read.

Otherwise, just relax and be happy.
The degradation rate will reduce! :)

i have 2023 YLR and just now i have noticed that max range went from 497 to 494 km if selected bar at 100%.
I think its about 7 months of combined supercharging and level 2 charging different manufactures.

degradation is less than 1% if i calculated right after 7 months.

so i wil keep eye on it ,maybe is stil nothing to worry about.

model s performance after 10 years only 13% degradation ,

question is when model Y battery degradation will be stable after 1 or 2 years?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
i have 2023 YLR and just now i have noticed that max range went from 497 to 494 km if selected bar at 100%.
I think its about 7 months of combined supercharging and level 2 charging different manufactures.

Y LR maxes out the range at ~ 531 km or (330km range) so new. This needs ~ 79.2 kWh battery capacity.

The battery is the 82.1 kWh Panasonic, so you can loose a few percebt without loosing range.

497km seems low - did you change the wheels in the service menu maybe?
question is when model Y battery degradation will be stable after 1 or 2 years?
Ypu probably lost ~ 5% the first year.
I take it you charge to 80% or do daily?

You will be at ~ 10% loss after four years.
You will be at ~ 14% after eight years.
(All counted from the real initial capacity)

Everyone is nervous with range anxiety with a first electric vehicle. Shyboy, you have nothing to worry about. I have a list of Tesla Superchargers compiled from PlugShare with over 60 between NJ and Florida. Drive your Y until your SOC reaches 20%.
Both you and your Y will drive away happy.:)
My list of charge stations has grown to over 75 between NJ and Ft Lauderdale, Florida

1) You need to check the EPA range of your car. Probably 330 miles(531 km). Thats where your car should have started.

2) Degradation comes mostly from calendar aging during the first 5-8 years of the battery life. Charging as most prople do, you can count on ~ 5% loss the first year, of which ~ 3% should be hidden by the overhead in capacity before the range drops. After 1 year your capacity should be around 77-78kWh having the standard degradation.
As the degradation threshold is around 79 kWh or so, it would be expected to be around 525km after one year.

Moving the slider to 100% has not proven to be that accurate, so ypu should charge to 100% to see themax range.

Another option is to use the energy graph.
Either post a picture here with the same values showing or do the math bu yourself.
Battery percentage + the energy graph.
The selection doen right muste be normal range.

Average x calculated range x 100 / State of charge % = Watt hours.

From the picture:
112x407x100/57 = 79.971 Wh, or 79.97 kWh
IMG_2330.jpeg

thank you for all advises ,i think i will do calculation and see if it is normal.
service advise me not to do HEALTH CHECK because software drains battery to 0% Than refills to 100%.

but after so much research and many yiutube videos ,i am thinking that degradation on each model is different.

i will do some math and post some numbers soon.