Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80,000 miles and counting.......

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Next month It will be my 4th year anniversary with my model S P85+. I have driven 80K miles and I will like to share with you some of the experiences I’ve had with my car:
-My usual daily trips are less than 110miles so I drive pretty aggressively and enjoy my P85+ to the max without worrying about charging
-On long range trips, and I have driven a few 1,300+ miles trips, I charge the car to the maximum and drive at 73-75mph, faster it just doesn’t make sense. I set the car on range mode, turn off the ambience and DL lights and lower the suspension on car to lower the drag while using the speed control, then I will constantly check the range computer against my destinations and try to maximize range in order to arrive to the next station with no less than 10miles range. The maximum I’ve ever driven on a charge was 225miles and that was at 65-70mph. The navigation system is very conservative and sometimes I override what it tells me, if you use the energy computer wisely, you can manage to arrive to your next supercharger easily with a few miles to spare. It’s very accurate. I enjoy watching the range change every mile of speed you increase/decrease.
I always charge to 1.4 times the distance to be traveled. I.e: 100 miles trip I charge the battery to 140 miles. It has worked well with me
I have the Michelin pilot low profile tires. The P85+ is a different animal. It’s a real sports car, it drives differently from a regular S model, but it burn much faster the tires.
I get only 10-12k miles in the rear tires and about 35K on the front ones. That works at about $0.12 cents per mile on tires which is about double the cost of a S model with regular tires $0.06 per mile or less.
I had the same problem as many other Model S’s at 50K: gearbox replacement. TESLA took care of it and the car now is in perfect shape.
Every time I hear a Tesla with a “whining” sound on the streets I know what is happening.
Appart from the gearbox, the car is the BEST machine I’ve ever had. No maintenance whatsoever. It just doesn’t wear out like a regular car. I believe buying a used Tesla is a great deal. Many of you must be wondering: “what about your battery?”
Well, after 80K and 4 years the battery is holding up quite well. When it was new, the battery charged full/ max daily range at 256 miles/235 miles
Nowadays it will charge 242 miles /222 miles which is exactly the 5% decay that I’ve read many times on the the forums. It seems to be stabilized there.
I love driving my car and can’t imagine driving another car that wasn’t a Tesla. I just wish I had the full autopilot self driving capability which wasn’t available at the time when I bought my car. It would really make those long trips much more relaxing.
Happy and safe driving!

Thanks for sharing! I'm also a proud and satisfied P85+ owner. I absolutely love my car and would not change it for anything else (ok maybe for a p100d!). I run 19 inch performance michelin tires and get about 70 000 km out of them (43 000 miles). My car now has just above 60 000 miles. Charge at 100% is about 259 miles (414 km) according to the indicator but I don't know if it's realistic. The max range was initially 425km according to tesla so about 2.6% loss.

I don't think you do enough driving. My S90D is 16months old and has 57000 miles;) But I don't want to detract from your post. I can "ditto" so many observations you make (I am about to replace my original Michelins. so the dual motor version really doesn't seem to do a lot of damage to the tires). I agree: you drive a sports version of the S; I drive a sporty sedan (but one that kicks nearly everyone else's rear end. To borrow some other car line's term: it is a SUS. A sport utility sedan). It has been round trip Ohio-Merritt Island FL three times and the autopilot makes it such a dream drive. I use roughly the same planning calculations and driving techniques. I, too, cannot imagine driving anything other than a Tesla (it would require one helluva car and one amazing charging network to make me switch). Enjoyed your thoughts. We will soon be down there powering the car with solar which will make it even sweeter!

Keep going! At 60 and 80k miles I also still loved my Model S unconditionally. Now I'm at 132k and reality starts to set in. Main screen developed bubbles and Tesla quotes me $3200 to replace. Supercharging is much slower, dash screen keeps freezing up at least once a day. Range is down 9%. Once you are out of warranty, repairs are really expensive on Tesla. Replacing the headlight bulbs would have cost me almost $1k. Fortunately I was able to find a set of bulbs for $32 and was able to do it myself.
When I brought my car in to the service center last time they instantly suggested I should just trade it in and get a new one. LOL

Great write-up!!
I'm on my second P85+, and it's the finest car I've ever owned, other than my first P85+.
My wife loves it even more - today, the battery on her Mercedes died for the 4th time, because she's always borrowing my Tesla while her MB sits in the garage.
As for tires, I've switched to Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 all around. Just as quiet, half the price of the Michelins, and they last twice as long.
Enjoy!

Great write-up!!
I'm on my second P85+, and it's the finest car I've ever owned, other than my first P85+.
My wife loves it even more - today, the battery on her Mercedes died for the 4th time, because she's always borrowing my Tesla while her MB sits in the garage.
As for tires, I've switched to Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 all around. Just as quiet, half the price of the Michelins, and they last twice as long.
Enjoy!
Thank you for the tire recommendation . I'll try them next time