Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

90D owner - 275miles max, should I "upgrade"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
My 90D Model S (2.5HW with FSD upgrade) is 4 years old and now records 275 max miles after starting at 293.

I am somewhat concerned that if I hold on to the vehicle the max range will continue to degrade until the limited range becomes a significant inconvenience for the occasional trips I take that ordinarily wouldn't require thinking about recharging. I'm also concerned about resale value of the car. I think its likely at some point i would get a new model, but ideally i would choose a resale sweet spot

The backdrop to this is the latest models - with 402m for the latest LR model S (and 387 for the Performance!). I went as far as getting a trade in value from Tesla...which seemed pretty good to me (more than what I had left on my loan for sure)

I'm wondering whether to take the plunge and get the latest model..and maybe even stump up extra cost for the performance model ...it's significantly cheaper then when i bought my model S!

Any advice/thoughts?

thanks

To me, the total range of a tesla is actually unimportant. It either gets you where you need to go or it doesn't.

The real limiting factor for a tesla is how quickly it supercharges. The absolute selling point of a tesla is that if you happen to fall short on where you need to get to, it is really really likely that there's a supercharger between where you are and where you want to be. If you're lucky, you'll get to the supercharger with 10-20% of your battery capacity so you can get the needed range in as little time as possible.

If you happen to live in a place where superchargers are sparse and you're really stretching to get to your target location, sell the car it isn't worth the stress.

Otherwise, if your car supercharges fine, keep it....

My advice; worth what it cost...