Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

99kw on my 75D, that’s a first for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if I’d arrived with less soc I’d have gotten 100 ;)
5AC379CB-E480-46F0-9E33-C0E7BFF1D945.jpeg

Yes. Well it’s a 75D but the weird 85Kwh battery pack. Pretty sure I saw 120kw once too. But wasn’t paying attention (son saw it)

You have the higher rated 400v fuse, the ‘true’ 75D is 350v so won’t ever reach what you can.

@Fellsteruk a lower SoC would have got you to 110kW, and if sitting in the car at the same time remember to turn the HVAC system off - no need to waste a kW or two ;)

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I've seen 104kW really briefly twice on my Jan 18 75D. Both times starting from a 40%-ish charge so the tales of the elusive 110+ seem viable.

The real difference appears to be it's holding on to higher rates higher up the SoC - makes staying in the mid-range of battery charge much faster if you're on a multi-charge trip.

Amazing what a bit of health monitoring can do when applied to 100K cars over a number of years, innit. Knocks all that baked-into-the-firmware-in-the-factory-that's-yer-lot-go-and-buy-a-new-one-if-you-don't-like-it stuff into a cocked hat...

I've seen 104kW really briefly twice on my Jan 18 75D. Both times starting from a 40%-ish charge so the tales of the elusive 110+ seem viable.

Exactly the same here Feb 18 X75D 104kW starting from around 40% charge. Before the latest software update it was more like 90 ish kW, so quite a significant improvement. Maybe it's the new pre-warming battery routine when you put an SC in nav?

Exactly the same here Feb 18 X75D 104kW starting from around 40% charge. Before the latest software update it was more like 90 ish kW, so quite a significant improvement. Maybe it's the new pre-warming battery routine when you put an SC in nav?

Possible but I don't think so. Both my charging sessions were mid-long-drive so the battery would have been warm from the ~90 minutes I'd been in the car beforehand.

On the other hand, I suppose it is possible that the short >100kW "peaks" we're seeing aren't going into the battery but are powering the heating system (given the advice to save a couple of kW by turning Climate off when plugging in and assuming that would no longer disable the battery warming function at 6kW....)

I had set the supercharger as the destination when I got 110kW. In fact have only got it when when set as a destination.

This supports the theory that it's the additional battery heating that allows the higher charge rate. I wonder how much net gain there actually is in charge time vs increased energy usage on the way to the charger? I wonder if the system is clever enough to only start heating the battery when you get within a certain distance of the charger or does it just keep the battery at a higher temperature all the way to the SC?

I wonder how much net gain there actually is in charge time vs increased energy usage on the way to the charger?

11% faster (90kW vs 110kW ??) charging (probably only up to 60% or so?)

Say you charge from 10% to 60% and that takes 5m per 10% ? then that would be 25 minutes (plus extra 5 minutes to park/plug-in/un-park)

11% saving would be 2.75 minutes

If you Supercharge twice a month that's an hour a year :)

11% faster (90kW vs 110kW ??) charging (probably only up to 60% or so?)

Say you charge from 10% to 60% and that takes 5m per 10% ? then that would be 25 minutes (plus extra 5 minutes to park/plug-in/un-park)

11% saving would be 2.75 minutes

If you Supercharge twice a month that's an hour a year :)

But you have to offset that 2.75 mins against the slightly lower starting charge from whatever the cost of heating your battery on the way there. It might well be insignificant in comparison, or maybe not depending on how much energy the heater uses and for how long it was used before arrival at the SC. It could for example be a case of having to charge from 9-60% instead of 10-60% without the additional battery heating. But you get the idea.

I was really more wondering how the battery heating algorithm works when you put an SC as the destination. Does it start heating the battery straight away or when you are X miles from the SC? The latter would make more sense as you don't want to start heating the battery when you are still say 50 miles from the SC.

Does it start heating the battery straight away or when you are X miles from the SC?

You'd hope so, wouldn't you :)

And also "What is the predicted SOC on arrival" because if you are arriving at 60% then seems unlikely that hot battery will help given charge rate will be reduced.

Probably ABRP Blog has a charge-curve-graph already? Bo is definitely interested in such things :)

TeslaFi will show when Battery heater is on so, assuming that is set to TRUE when en route to Supercharger, should be possible to see "for how long before arrival". I'll check that when I next get the "improve charge rate", not had opportunity since the OTA update