Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

9V/10W USB A booster for wireless charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While ordering for a friend recently I spotted that Taptes now sell a 9V/10W USB A booster for wireless charging, at the bargain price of £7.66 a pair!

I ordered them to use with my large pad as per the link and they seem to work great. Impressed!

Link: 15W Wireless Charger for Tesla Model 3 Built Before June 2020

I hope they reached you within a reasonable time of ordering ... waiting 6 weeks ...supposedly stuck in UK customs ...

I'm not sure how it's different to hubs or splitters splitting one port to multiple though?
If it's not a powered hub, which none of these ones (Jeda, Taptes, etc) are as far as I know, then it has 5V ± 5% / 0.9A to play with, across however many ports. This is usually enough for most devices anyway, but not always - it's why Taptes's original USB hub (actually a splitter) would crap out if you plugged too many things in.

I don't know how this booster works internally, if it connects to the rear 12V or elsewhere then it isn't as "plug and play" as just attaching it to the 2 front USB ports.

If you want to reliably charge at 9-12v and even do 2 phones at once without over taxing the USB ports or using the accessory socket the alternative is to buy a cheap QC:3.0 power bank and use it as a buffer:
e.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/NinjaBatt-PowerPal-10000mAh-Portable-High-Capacity/dp/B07ZHCB5HK/ref=sr_1_96?crid=SEXPDEK0XG55&dchild=1&keywords=qc3+power+bank&qid=1603715101&sprefix=QC3+pow,aps,151&sr=8-96

ideally one that can charge and be charged simultaneously but this feature is rarely in the specs.
you can get them from about £10 dependant on capacity

Reactions: m3p_uk and Durzel
Are the car's ports definitely rated 5V/0.9A? That seems very low for a phone charger. TapTes suggest the wireless charger at normal speed pulls 5V/5W (i.e. 1A), but fast charging pulls 9V/10W (equivalent to 5V/2A), which seems a pretty standard rate. All I can say is it fast charges my phone with these new dongles plugged in just fine and didn't before!

Are the car's ports definitely rated 5V/0.9A? That seems very low for a phone charger. TapTes suggest the wireless charger at normal speed pulls 5V/5W (i.e. 1A), but fast charging pulls 9V/10W (equivalent to 5V/2A), which seems a pretty standard rate. All I can say is it fast charges my phone with these new dongles plugged in just fine and didn't before!
Have you also plugged the dongles into the 12v outlet?
Any photos of how it all works please?

I’m curious to know why you need/want really fast/high-power charging in the car?
Same reason to use Superchargers over a 7 kW AC. Short fast burst to get a high %, then on your way again.

Also using Waze and audio streaming can have a high power draw which a standard charger can’t cope with meaning the battery ultimately drains on long commute instead of “charging”.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and Jeeves