Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Route Planner - ABRP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mr Miserable

Supporting Member
Jul 8, 2019
UK
Referral Code
I like ABRP but I find the charging times completely wide of the mark.
To confirm this I did a trip where I needed to charge from 32% to 90%.
ABRP said it would take 26 mins when in fact it actually took 35mins.
I was not power sharing at the SuC and I have the correct vehicle type (LRAWD) set in the settings.
Is it just me? What am I missing here?

I was not power sharing at the SuC and I have the correct vehicle type (LRAWD) set in the settings.
The inconsistencies of supercharging maybe? do you do that 32-90% often and does it take exactly the same time every time?
I see a lot of posts on here talking about the inconsistency of supercharging speeds? is it possible to predict it that accurately?

ABRP uses crowd-sourced data and then threads an "optimum" best-fit sort of line through it. This has two consequences:
1. Timings are pretty accurate provided there isn't anything restricting the supercharging charge rate;
2. For owners like me with older format batteries (e.g. 70, 85) it seems to be more accurate than Tesla's own nav predictions, especially following chargegate type software updates.

Given that it's February and recent software updates seem to have tightened up the conditions needed for maximum charge rates, I would speculate cold ambient temperature is the issue - but it could be something else like an overheating supercharger connector, sharing with another car, or possibly charging restrictions on a specific car's battery.

If you haven't seen it, there's a good explanation here: Tesla Supercharging - Summer 2019 Update
Note how there are a _lot_ of datapoints sitting below their "ideal" charge curves which I take to mean a _lot_ of occasions when maximum rate isn't achieved.

Personally I find ABRP pretty good, slightly over-optimistic for my S70 battery (but out by less than 5 minutes for a ~30 minute charge session), but I need 1 1/2 - 2 hrs of fast driving to be sure the battery is fully warmed up.

How fast were you charging?

Do they get your data automatically when you connect your car to their service via the API or is this volunteered information provided manually?
As I understand it, it's an opt-in. Under the "more settings" option (on the webpage) you can provide MyTesla login info, or an access token (I guess this is a way of giving access without using your password on the ABRP website). Data is then shared until the token expires (a couple of months?).

If you bring up the webpage on the Tesla in-car browser, it requests permission to access your location (or a similar message) and will then show live data (battery %, location), but I don't think this information is shared unless you've provided your MyTesla login info.

It all looks extremely well designed. Clearly the coders (who are on TMC & have their own thread) know what they are doing!

As I understand it, it's an opt-in. Under the "more settings" option (on the webpage) you can provide MyTesla login info, or an access token (I guess this is a way of giving access without using your password on the ABRP website). Data is then shared until the token expires (a couple of months?).

If you bring up the webpage on the Tesla in-car browser, it requests permission to access your location (or a similar message) and will then show live data (battery %, location), but I don't think this information is shared unless you've provided your MyTesla login info.

It all looks extremely well designed. Clearly the coders (who are on TMC & have their own thread) know what they are doing!

That's cool - my car is connected to them via a token. I generally find ABRP to be pessimistic on range but a bit optimistic on charging speed. For our trip to the Vendée at the end of next week I have already designed a route heavily customised in abrp. As we are in no hurry and we like to see the countryside, we're avoiding all the péage motorways, from Dieppe charging at Rouen, Le Mans and Poitiers. 346 miles and two hours of charging (we'll probably only have 50-60% charge at Dieppe off the ferry and I would like to arrive at our destination with at least 40% in order to get as close to 90% the following day using the UMC (hopefully at 16A!).

Reactions: cezdoc
Out of pure curiosity, I dug out a recent drive on Teslafi from home to the Folkestone Eurotunnel terminal and supercharger. ABRP predicted I'd have 40% charge on arrival - reality was 47%.

I then set ABRP in the route planner to charge from 47 to 95% - which is what I did on that day. This time, ABRP got it right (1 hour and 6 minutes). So the ABRP charging profile update does seem to have worked well.

It's a while since I had a look at ABR on the web version. Noted the new look ... but I don't see any access to some of what was in the detailed settings before. There's nothing comes up under "Road Conditions" where you could set temperature, wind, rain, snow etc. The newer "clean look" appears to sacrifice functionality. I much preferred seeing all the settings laid out in front of me rather than having to click on multiple headings to activate a drop down section.

It's a while since I had a look at ABR on the web version. Noted the new look ... but I don't see any access to some of what was in the detailed settings before. There's nothing comes up under "Road Conditions" where you could set temperature, wind, rain, snow etc. The newer "clean look" appears to sacrifice functionality. I much preferred seeing all the settings laid out in front of me rather than having to click on multiple headings to activate a drop down section.

phew ... thank goodness the original layout still exists at /classic : A Better Routeplanner

• Informative
Reactions: Chaserr