Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A better route planner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
it seems A better route planner was updated. I can't for the life of me figure out now how to tell it that I want to stop for an extra hour for lunch. Before you could say stay longer at a certain charger. Anyone know how to do this?

it seems A better route planner was updated. I can't for the life of me figure out now how to tell it that I want to stop for an extra hour for lunch. Before you could say stay longer at a certain charger. Anyone know how to do this?
You could revert to the previous appearance, classic mode. You can also set departure times at places you stop, just add 1hr to your predicted arrival time.

I've loved and used ABRP for 18 months. Most recent changes don't feel right. Disappointed. I've been looking into PlugShare which has all of the EV charging stations that ABRP doesn't. It also has a route planner. Maybe give it a try. I'm going to.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr. J
What the heck happened to ABRP? It's not useful to me any longer. It does not even list the "route" -- which is part of its name. All I get are the suggested SC stops on a map that is poorly labeled. Not sure what is going on but they went the wrong way.

Just so we're clear, if you do not see a list of the Supercharger stops along the way, with the times and mileage between stops, then you have hidden that menu. There's a up-and-down arrow between two horizontal lines in the upper left. Click it. If the Settings gear icon is not visible, i.e., the route plan is displayed, then click the Back icon to get there. In the Settings are the usual things you can specify/change to plan your route.

The car's own route plan is way more conservative and useful than ABRP. I've never been comfortable rolling into a Supercharger with 10% SOC, too little margin for error.
You want to come in low though so the car charges quickly as it charges less quickly as it gets full. I do agree though that you could have a problem especially if you get in and the chargers are broken. I use ABRP as a guide for long trips to get a feel for how long it would take and different scenarios, but I'm not thrilled with it.

Just so we're clear, if you do not see a list of the Supercharger stops along the way, with the times and mileage between stops, then you have hidden that menu. There's a up-and-down arrow between two horizontal lines in the upper left. Click it.

Yes, that is what I have done. I've used ABRP several times before although admittedly not in more than a year. I have my car info loaded as well.

Success!! The grommet on my right side support rod had not slid down, like most everyone else’s. Initially, when I reached up into the back rest frame to feel for that grommet, it appeared to be fully seated and not loose at all… which was kind of disappointing because I was hoping to see an obviously loose grommet which would give me hope that this was indeed the cause of the creaking noise.

However, when I pushed up on the grommet with a little more pressure, I felt and heard a slight click. So, that grommet was ever so slightly loose and not fully locked into position after all. I thought to myself, there‘s no way one slightly loose grommet could be the cause of the rather loud creaking noise that I was hearing and feeling. However, sure enough, after snapping the shell back on and testing the movement of the seat as it goes from the Easy Entry position to the Drive position, the creaking noise is gone!!

Tim, I think your hunch is correct and suspect that grommet will pop out again. So, perhaps I should go back in and apply some tape or glue…

American design and assembly at its best!!!

The car's own route plan is way more conservative and useful than ABRP. I've never been comfortable rolling into a Supercharger with 10% SOC, too little margin for error.
You can change arrival SOC in Settings > Detail. Lots of settings can be customized, even in the free version.

You can set your Charger arrival SOC. I like 15%, because that's enough for about 60 miles on surface roads, which should be enough to get to a charger. If you actually pay for ABRP, $5 a month, you'll find that the additional wind calculation makes the destination SOC levels extremely accurate. I just drove roundtrip from Maine to Colorado, 4400 miles, and faced 16mph headwinds there, and tailwinds on the way home, and ABRP was accurate to 1% SOC, and I had to supercharge 40 times. The Tesla planner was off up to 15% SOC, because of the headwinds and lack of temperature adjustment.

You can set your Charger arrival SOC. I like 15%, because that's enough for about 60 miles on surface roads, which should be enough to get to a charger. If you actually pay for ABRP, $5 a month, you'll find that the additional wind calculation makes the destination SOC levels extremely accurate. I just drove roundtrip from Maine to Colorado, 4400 miles, and faced 16mph headwinds there, and tailwinds on the way home, and ABRP was accurate to 1% SOC, and I had to supercharge 40 times. The Tesla planner was off up to 15% SOC, because of the headwinds and lack of temperature adjustment.
You would think Tesla would update their planner to account for those things. It is not like the car doesn't have a cellular connection to the internet to get that data.

Reactions: puckpurnell
You want to come in low though so the car charges quickly as it charges less quickly as it gets full. I do agree though that you could have a problem especially if you get in and the chargers are broken. I use ABRP as a guide for long trips to get a feel for how long it would take and different scenarios, but I'm not thrilled with it.
Agreed. 20% is most comfortable for me, and 20-80% takes now time. I rolled into Goleta Supercharger at 20% a few days back, and with the mess of construction and multiple queues of cars, I was lucky enough to be able to leave and go to Montecito.

Wasn't aware of the wind calculations in ABRP paid version, but I will give them props for waypoints.

You can add head or tailwind in the free version unless they removed this option lately.
Yep, still there, but if you do the 14-day free trial, $5 a month afterward, it'll get the wind data, automagically, and the results are very, very accurate. I faced headwinds of up to 17mph going West to Colorado, and the SOC estimates were always within 1% of predicted at arriving. That's interesting to me, since I was also running the Tesla planner, and it was off by 15%. Since I use a SOC arrival target of 15%, if the planner is off by 15%, due to 90F temps and 17mph headwinds, then the margin of error is nil. Using ABRP is very accurate, obviously, with good inputs.

I don't know why Elon wouldn't buy ABRP and incorporate it into the planner, since the more accurate the trip predictions, the lower your target SOC can be, and thus your practical useful range is longer.

Reactions: MaskedRacerX