Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A Better Routeplanner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just tried the LA to SF route using a standard TM3...
it says I have to stop 2 times for 1:25 hrs??!!
Is my calculation correct?
Wow, seriously bummed, I was really hoping to stop 1 time for under 1 hr for a 375 route...
I think that's with the standard battery. With the long range battery, it would only require one stop for about 50 minutes. If you play with the numbers a bit, you can get the charging down to an hour with the standard range battery...but with three stops and lower charge remaining on arrival.

I think that's with the standard battery. With the long range battery, it would only require one stop for about 50 minutes. If you play with the numbers a bit, you can get the charging down to an hour with the standard range battery...but with three stops and lower charge remaining on arrival.

Dang.. sure wish I could justify the Long Range version...
(5k I could maybe justify but not 9k, which could go to a lot of big trip rentals.)

Reactions: Falkirk
Dang.. sure wish I could justify the Long Range version...
(5k I could maybe justify but not 9k, which could go to a lot of big trip rentals.)

Hmm! I just checked what might be possible when Tesla finishes building their planned 40 stall SuperCharger in Kettleman, CA.
+ I can get from LA to Kettleman with no stop... It's 167 miles, and if I leave home with 99% I'd arrive with 12% charge.
Speed 75 mph. Duration = 2:21.
+ Then from Kettleman to SF it's 211 miles (getting close to 'possible' with Standard TM3 but doubtful)...
so IF I have things figured correctly I could leave Kettleman with a 75% charge that would take roughly 40?? minutes,
(75-12 that I arrived with = 63% needed),
+ stop in Gustine with 15% left, charge there for 30 mins to a 68% charge
+ and arrive in SF with 6% left. Speed 75 mph. Duration = 3:32.
+Trip total duration 2:21+3:32= 5:53mins. (Google.map says 5:41 by ice car.)

Appreciate any corrections!

Reactions: rpez021
Hmm! I just checked what might be possible when Tesla finishes building their planned 40 stall SuperCharger in Kettleman, CA.
+ I can get from LA to Kettleman with no stop... It's 167 miles, and if I leave home with 99% I'd arrive with 12% charge.
Speed 75 mph. Duration = 2:21.
+ Then from Kettleman to SF it's 211 miles (getting close to 'possible' with Standard TM3 but doubtful)...
so IF I have things figured correctly I could leave Kettleman with a 75% charge that would take roughly 40?? minutes,
(75-12 that I arrived with = 63% needed),
+ stop in Gustine with 15% left, charge there for 30 mins to a 68% charge
+ and arrive in SF with 6% left. Speed 75 mph. Duration = 3:32.
+Trip total duration 2:21+3:32= 5:53mins. (Google.map says 5:41 by ice car.)

Appreciate any corrections!

You can actually manually add charging at a waypoint, so here goes your trip (I had more consumption on the first leg, assume you use another starting point in LA): A Better Routeplanner

The destination charging you add will automatically be limited to the battery charging speed capacity, so entering 120 kW will give exactly the charging profile of a SuperCharger.

I figured out what caused my problem, I just don't know why it happened. My energy usage and reference speed values are sometimes getting set to zero. If I put the correct values back in, things work.

Last night I used it to route a 2 supercharger stop without issue. This morning I need it to replan the route and got the no route found error. I don't know why the two values got zeroed out

blincoln GREAT JOB! ABRP is a major improvement over anything else I have tried. I would pay for A Better Route Planner APP for Apple!

Suggestions:

Would it be possible to drag the route on the map like Google has and then it would update the planned route? A lot of times the route planned by the app is not always the best & the work around is to add way-points. This is hard if driving & you need to work around construction, an accident, etc.

I know you want to keep ABRP clean of buttons, maybe add "Force Toll Roads."

A way to hide or move to the top, bottom or L&R side, the +, -, Real Time Navigation buttons.

Move the plus & minus to the bottom right, much easier to use when scrolling.

Stop the map from zooming out after the planned route button is selected.

Skip this charger one time button so the return trip can use the charger if needed.

Problem found:

When planning a trip from
Atlanta, GA
West Palm Beach, FL
Sebring, FL
Titusville, FL

The ABRP worked well, but the leg from Sebring, FL to Titusville, FL took me north on 27 to I-4 NE to Florida's Turnpike N to Turkey Lake Service Plaza SuperCharger (Labeled Orlando on ABRP) then back to I-4 NE to 408 E to 50 E finishing at Destination Titusville, FL.

The problem is ( I-4 NE to Florida's Turnpike N to Turkey Lake Service Plaza SuperCharger (Labeled Orlando on ABRP) then back to I-4 NE ) the Florida Turnpike is a "TollRoad" so you get charged both ways from I-4. The TollRoad charges should be left out of the planned trip if not on the Toll Road.

I used ABetterRoutePlanner.com for my just completed 3700 journey from Sacramento, through many Utah Parks, up to Grand Tetons. Then Yellowstone, with the eclipse in Idaho as a finale. It was made possible using your wonderful tool. I will be posting here, a dialog of the trip. Thanks for your work on this FANTASTIC tool. Here was my route if anyone is interested (Excluding actual charge and start times) A Better Routeplanner

• Love
Reactions: rpez021 and nico180
Very nice trip! You also used a fair number of destination chargers along the way. Where they all part of the hotels you stayed ? Did any of them charge you for charging?

And I couldn't agree more that Bo has built one of the most useful tools we have for our cars...The other one is "TeslaFi" ....

Very nice trip! You also used a fair number of destination chargers along the way. Where they all part of the hotels you stayed ? Did any of them charge you for charging?

And I couldn't agree more that Bo has built one of the most useful tools we have for our cars...The other one is "TeslaFi" ....

I only used Destination Chargers twice. Once at Glenrose Lodge at the entrance to Zion and Entrada Escalante, near Capitol Reef. Both hotels were great and very accommodating. I could have used the 14-50 at the Old Faithful Snow Lodge, but it wasn't needed. Otherwise it was all Superchargers.

FYI-Yellowstone was installing some Clipper Creek J1772 chargers while I was there--more info later.

blincoln GREAT JOB! ABRP is a major improvement over anything else I have tried. I would pay for A Better Route Planner APP for Apple!

Suggestions:

Would it be possible to drag the route on the map like Google has and then it would update the planned route? A lot of times the route planned by the app is not always the best & the work around is to add way-points. This is hard if driving & you need to work around construction, an accident, etc.

I know you want to keep ABRP clean of buttons, maybe add "Force Toll Roads."

A way to hide or move to the top, bottom or L&R side, the +, -, Real Time Navigation buttons.

Move the plus & minus to the bottom right, much easier to use when scrolling.

Stop the map from zooming out after the planned route button is selected.

Skip this charger one time button so the return trip can use the charger if needed.

Problem found:

When planning a trip from
Atlanta, GA
West Palm Beach, FL
Sebring, FL
Titusville, FL

The ABRP worked well, but the leg from Sebring, FL to Titusville, FL took me north on 27 to I-4 NE to Florida's Turnpike N to Turkey Lake Service Plaza SuperCharger (Labeled Orlando on ABRP) then back to I-4 NE to 408 E to 50 E finishing at Destination Titusville, FL.

The problem is ( I-4 NE to Florida's Turnpike N to Turkey Lake Service Plaza SuperCharger (Labeled Orlando on ABRP) then back to I-4 NE ) the Florida Turnpike is a "TollRoad" so you get charged both ways from I-4. The TollRoad charges should be left out of the planned trip if not on the Toll Road.

Thanks for the feedback and good proposals! The drag-and-drop á la Google to add new via points sounds like a fun challenge. The between-chargers-routing backend OSRM will actually allow dragging and re-routing in real time, but including charging planning will of course not be real time. I'll do some experimenting and see what comes out.

I used ABetterRoutePlanner.com for my just completed 3700 journey from Sacramento, through many Utah Parks, up to Grand Tetons. Then Yellowstone, with the eclipse in Idaho as a finale. It was made possible using your wonderful tool. I will be posting here, a dialog of the trip. Thanks for your work on this FANTASTIC tool. Here was my route if anyone is
interested (Excluding actual charge and start times) A Better Routeplanner

OMG! :) Did you actually ever ask ABRP to plan that route? I assume you broke it down per day!

Edit: I see in the logs that you actually did plan the whole route too. Never thought it would work with that many waypoints ;)

Last edited:
OMG! :) Did you actually ever ask ABRP to plan that route? I assume you broke it down per day!

Edit: I see in the logs that you actually did plan the whole route too. Never thought it would work with that many waypoints ;)

I built each leg individually so I could tweak times and state of charge, sometimes setting how much time I might use at the waypoint. Then I put all the legs together so I would have a representation of the entire trip, for illustrative purposes. When adding additional waypoints, having to move them up the list, the browser was choking, I was sure it would crash and when it reloaded, all would lost. It didn't. At some point, it seems that you made the "get link" shorter, since early links were many lines long-thanks. I had to add certain waypoints so that it would route me the way I intended. When routing the National parks, I picked the farthest point to accurately gauge energy usage. I actually used GPS coordinates, from Google Maps in some of the initial daily layouts. The variety of settings make this so worthwhile. Again, thanks so much for the wonderful tool!

I really like ABRP: many thanks for making it available!

I do have a question: It sometimes suggests very short stops like 56% to 61% in just three minutes. However, when I go to a restroom or buy a coffee I need maybe 10 minutes or so, with little kids even more. Is there an option to set a minimum charge time? You will then reach the next stop with more charge (or drive faster) which can result in a shorter next stop and therefore more evenly distributed charging times along the trip.

I really like ABRP: many thanks for making it available!

I do have a question: It sometimes suggests very short stops like 56% to 61% in just three minutes. However, when I go to a restroom or buy a coffee I need maybe 10 minutes or so, with little kids even more. Is there an option to set a minimum charge time? You will then reach the next stop with more charge (or drive faster) which can result in a shorter next stop and therefore more evenly distributed charging times along the trip.

Yeah, I agree, too short stops are not really happening in practice. I could add another parameter for this, but I am trying to keep the number of parameters as small as possible, so I will likely not add this one.

Why? When I drive long trips with ABRP, the plans are never exact anyway. I drive faster or slower than the plan, or just consume more or less than planned. Not seldomly I charge a bit more than the plan states at SuCs just because the last kid is not done at the bathroom in time anyway. And so on - in practice, I assume that after each charging stop, a quick update of the plan is necessary anyway.